Tobbeh99's Arrangements (NEW: Yoshi's Story - Baby Bowser's Lullaby)

Started by Tobbeh99, February 06, 2015, 08:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

Have had a lot of work and stuff going on in my life, but I still manage to make a new youtube vid. :)
This one is the main theme from Skylanders: Swap Force. Pretty good theme, was tricky making the video because of the tripple-staff in the second part, but I manage to make work and look decently good. :) I want to upload my Skylanders: Giant's main theme as well, but the thing is... I need to revisit that arrangement and edit it a bit (not completely satisfied with it) so it'll take a while to get that done :-\.

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Made a new youtube vid! Another Skylanders song, from the latest game Skylanders: Imaginators, "Card Shack".

I used Finale's Jazz Piano sound for this one, and I think it sounds really well! :)

tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Finished a small arrangement! Ever since I started playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night I've been enjoying it throughout the entire game! The game is basically a piece of art itself! And the music is just purely beautiful. I really like this main menu theme, it sticks out being a choral theme, and really tells you that you're playing a really special game!

Not sure how much I'll be able to arrange during this month. I'll try to finish my Sm4sh opening theme. But the song is kind of tough, and I got a lot of work at my job, so we'll see about that. And obviously I got entire list up in my head of songs I want to arrange, but it's important to be realistic about your goals, and not go all too crazy about it, and instead take song by song - arrange at a nice and comfortable tempo.

[Sheet Music]

10/10 tobbeh

Maelstrom

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 04, 2016, 02:36:20 PMYay SoTN!

Thanks! Hopefully in the future, I'll have more so I can do some longer themes. Thinking about the Castle Theme, really like that one. And also other awesome Castlevania themes. :)

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Something extraordinary has just happen!!!!!! :D

Tobbeh99 has composed a piece! :D

I have tried a lot of times, A LOT OF TIMES to compose (during my high school, or whatever "gymnasium" is in English), and I haven't just been able to do so. I've composed small themes, but never an "entire composition". But this time, I'm satisfied. This is Opus no.1.

[Sheet Music]

10/10 tobbeh

Brassman388

Not bad at all. A bit repetitive at times, but good overall.

Tobbeh99

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

OK! I finally made it! Smash 4 Opening Theme!!!! I started working on this a while back, like november or so. And I though of finishing it at december as some sort of christmas arrangement, but it was the case because of Mostly job and also other trouble and life. But I'm... pretty much done with it. It needs some small touch up until it's ready to go. But I want to put this up so people can see it and say if there is anything wrong with. But I think everything pretty much makes sense. Maybe some things, needs to be considered but otherwise, ...it makes sense. :)

Also the ending was unbelievably tough to arrange!! The question was "How am I supposed to arrange this so that it looks pleasant and logical on paper, but also captures the musical ideas and things in the score and so that it sounds good and the performer got an idea of how it's supposed to be performed". And meeting those 2 requirements was really tough and barely even possible. Technically it's pretty much impossible to do it, but here's my take on it.

Here are some other ideas/sketches I had for the ending:
Spoiler

(and also one with a 12-tuplet which is similar to the 5-tuplet but with dotted values.)(I don't have an image on that one) 
[close]

All those are... ok, but doesn't really work when you think about it,  :-\.

[Sheet Music]

10/10 tobbeh

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Wow, that's pretty impressive! That's a lot of notes...

Anyway, some things I'm noticing!

First, just nitpicky formatting stuff.
- The URL is way too low on page 1.
- Slur overlapping with triplet in m. 10.
- m. 32, molto...? Disconnect beats 3-4?
- The eighth rests in section D (LH) are awfully close to the beam.

Suggestions for de-cluttering.
- I know how much you love using layers, but I really think it'd help simplify things and free up a lot of space if you combined layers in some places. Like m. 1-4 RH, there's no holding that whole note throughout the whole measure. Likewise with measures 8 RH, and so on. Even partway through a measure, like 23, I think it would help. It just looks funny with a half rest on top of those octave chords which pushes the tuplet and articulations to the bottom.
- Tied note from 16-17 can't be held, it just takes up space. Similarly with 33-34 LH.
- Some of those mid-staff dashed lines I really don't think are necessary. Like the intro, it's pretty clear to just keep gradually crescendo-ing, and the dashed line looks almost like an 8va/vb line so I think you could do without.

Notes on other things.
- Triplets: In a lot of places like the beginning of section C (m. 18 beats 3-4) you have a quarter+two eighths rhythm in the melody which... doesn't sound quite right. Listening again I can't say it sounds exactly like triplets either. In any case, in places like m. 23 when you have that against triplets in the LH it sounds super awkward so I'd check that again.
- Section E: seems kind of off. First, the timing is off for some of the notes. The entirety of what you have for m. 46 should occur one eighth note earlier, you can hear those notes don't fall on the beat (listen to the drums). I'm also not sure what the cross-staff slur is supposed to mean in 47, and in general I'm having a hard time visually following the line in the original in your sheet. It also seems like there's a note missing on m. 47 beat 4.
- Ending: Definitely err on the side of simplification here. No one wants to read a 9-tuplet (105-tuplet??) or triple dotted half note. The timing is pretty loose so take it easy on the performer and give them something easier on the eyes.

All that said, wow, nice job haha.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

After really looking into your suggestions of changes.

I actually don't think there is that much I want to change. Even though the arrangement is a bit messy. I think it's pretty accurate.

I have a thought about making a "3rd" and final version of this. But the focus of that version would be: 
-removing unnecessary articulations
-simplifying complicated passages (aka only the ending).

But other than that I think it's perfect. The things I however changed which you suggested were mainly formatting issues - to make the sheet look cleaner and better spaced.

Also explanations:
Quote from: Latios212 on January 24, 2017, 05:39:47 PM- m. 32, molto...? Disconnect beats 3-4?
yes it's "cresc." first and then later "molto" as in "molto cresc".

Quote from: Latios212 on January 24, 2017, 05:39:47 PMWow, that's pretty impressive! That's a lot of notes...

Anyway, some things I'm noticing!
- Triplets: In a lot of places like the beginning of section C (m. 18 beats 3-4) you have a quarter+two eighths rhythm in the melody which... doesn't sound quite right. Listening again I can't say it sounds exactly like triplets either. In any case, in places like m. 23 when you have that against triplets in the LH it sounds super awkward so I'd check that again.
Y it's one of those "wierd pseudo-rhythms" as I'd like to call them. It is similar to my arrangement of "Main Theme" from Skylanders: Imaginators, where you can't tell if it's 12/8 or 4/4, triplets or 16ths.
But I think that my sheet is correct. The section is very "flowy" which can make you feel as if it is triplets, but in reality I think that the triplets are in the other "staccato-sections" where I've made them triplets.
I also put a note "dolce and legato" to show how it's supposed to be interpreted.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 24, 2017, 05:39:47 PM- Section E: seems kind of off. First, the timing is off for some of the notes. The entirety of what you have for m. 46 should occur one eighth note earlier, you can hear those notes don't fall on the beat (listen to the drums). I'm also not sure what the cross-staff slur is supposed to mean in 47, and in general I'm having a hard time visually following the line in the original in your sheet. It also seems like there's a note missing on m. 47 beat 4.
Y, this section is kind of.. how should I put it, not very "true" "rhythmically". But I think I did a great job with it making it look very correct in the regard that I show where it's on beat and where it's off-beat. And I also split the theme into both staves, which makes sense as you'd want to play them with both hands.

The cross-staffed slur is supposed to show how the melody goes. Because it goes down, unexpectedly, to the low G. 

Quote from: Latios212 on January 24, 2017, 05:39:47 PM- Ending: Definitely err on the side of simplification here. No one wants to read a 9-tuplet (105-tuplet??) or triple dotted half note. The timing is pretty loose so take it easy on the performer and give them something easier on the eyes.
Y y.. I know. But I want to get the feeling that it's "hanging in the air" and gradually more and more. In my arrangement of "Victory Theme (Bayonetta)" I used 6-tuplet for the jazzy part. Here I used a 9-tuplet. And I want m.53-55 to be sort of stable. But in m.55-56 it starts to destabilize. And the whole reason I chose to write it this way, is because of the dramatic ending.
There is a way (which I first tried) to make it more "clean and nice-looking", by making all the chords in m.53-55 be off-beat by making the two 16th-notes by on beat 1 and on-beat. But to me, it feels more like those 16ths are "leading-notes" which leads into the next measure, so that's why I chose this notation for the ending.

10/10 tobbeh

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 06, 2017, 02:03:35 PMSomething extraordinary has just happen!!!!!! :D

Tobbeh99 has composed a piece! :D

I have tried a lot of times, A LOT OF TIMES to compose (during my high school, or whatever "gymnasium" is in English), and I haven't just been able to do so. I've composed small themes, but never an "entire composition". But this time, I'm satisfied. This is Opus no.1.

[Sheet Music]
I hit Error 404 when I visited this link just now. Shucks; I'd like to listen to it.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Dekkadeci on January 29, 2017, 06:02:21 PMI hit Error 404 when I visited this link just now. Shucks; I'd like to listen to it.

I don't want to let you listen to it but I can tell you this that it's a piece that captures the Winter-atmosphere during this month, in this time, and composed by me.

So it's kind "all-and-everything-in-one" composition. :D It really did captured the complicated times that did exist.

10/10 tobbeh

SwampySongs

Tobbeh, would you mind if I used a part of your Meta Knight's revenge arrangement in a medley? I sent you more info on your youtube channel!