News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Questions, Questions, Questions

Started by ZeldaFan, February 02, 2015, 11:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Bloop

Every instrument for sure. I wanna learn about every instrument, so I know how to write for every instrument

InsigTurtle

Speak every language. It's annoying to know what someone's saying to you while not being able to reply in their language.
But if I could play every instrument, I'd be able to make those one person ensemble videos...
Hmm...

Latios212

Quote from: InsigTurtle on September 02, 2015, 03:46:30 PMBut if I could play every instrument, I'd be able to make those one person ensemble videos...
Yup that's my reason

I want real instruments to play this
[close]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'd rather learn every language, personally.. Though if I want to write good orchestral music I really should learn the instruments I'm writing for.
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

Music all the way.
Beats talking to people.

ThatGamer

I am taking Japanese C-15 in school so I can understand Vocaloid!
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Bubbles

Every language definitely. Being able to play every instrument doesn't cover actually owning/storing them all, not to mention the quality that you can play them at. Speaking a language implies required fluency

I lowkey wanna teach myself everything but learning languages is so harddd

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: ZeldaFan on September 02, 2015, 02:08:58 PM#104 - September 2, 2015
Would you rather be able to play every instrument or speak every language?
Although being to speak every language would be pretty neat, I'd have to go with being able to play every instrument.
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 02, 2015, 04:59:53 PMMusic all the way.
Beats talking to people.

Quote from: Bubbles on September 02, 2015, 05:04:23 PMEvery language definitely. Being able to play every instrument doesn't cover actually owning/storing them all, not to mention the quality that you can play them at. Speaking a language implies required fluency
That's kind of an unfair assessment. While you do have a good point about being able to own all the instruments (to be fair, depending on where you live or how much you travel, you might not be able to speak to others who know some of the languages you know), I'd assume the question implies mastery (or at least sufficient skill) in the cases of both of the skills.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Ruto

They both sound good but I think that being able to play every instrument would give me a physical deformity XD like that story with the 3 sisters and the spinning wheel (one had a big flat foot from the pedal, one had a huge bottom lip from wetting the thread, one had a huge swollen thumb as a result of their tasks) story. I'm not vain but then I can't deal with things like carpal tunnel either xD

Lol dude

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Dude

Quote from: ThatGamer on September 02, 2015, 05:01:09 PMI am taking Japanese C-15 in school so I can understand Vocaloid!
へえ、どれぐらいわかるか?

何もない、ね?

ハハハ

braix

i would rather play every instrument ofc. screw words
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

Yeah it would make me better at writing for them.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

Learning how the instruments work is easy though. Besides, in regards of languages is that just the traditional English, Spanish, etc.? Or does it include any established and consistent means of communication, including non-verbal stuff like Sign Language? It's been argued that every system of music is a language in its own right, so wouldn't that fall under the same category in the long run?

Honestly I'd rather have the freedom of communication than being able to play every instrument, which isn't very practical or feasible. Sure, it's neat and you could make some cool videos, but you'd still be stuck with only a single instrument at a time. Besides I have no desire to be play the violin, nor do I need to be able to play it to write for it. That's a ludicrous notion and if every composer thought that way we'd never have really great music from the likes of Beethoven, etc. I just need to know how they work and the technical limits, but that doesn't mean I need to be able to play Paganini to do so.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

You don't need to know how to play them to write for them, but it makes it much easier (which is why many of your virtuoso arrangements are unplayable).
what is shitpost