News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Questions, Questions, Questions

Started by ZeldaFan, February 02, 2015, 11:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeldaFan

My first phone was this:
Spoiler
[close]
LOL
at age 16 - my mom's old one.

Still haven't ever gotten a smartphone... Mostly because I don't want to pay $50-100+ a month for one.
Also I like human interaction.

I think it depends on the kid, but I would never give my kid a phone before age 12. WTF do they even need it for before that???

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

MaestroUGC

I got my first phone at the age of 16. But that's all irrelevant as the march of technology means more people will be getting fancy stuff at younger ages than we did.

My children will probably get some means of contact by the time to start middle school (About 12 yrs, or so). But not a full fledged smart phone, or whatever will be the big thing at the time, until they turn 16.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Maelstrom

Quote from: ZeldaFan on May 01, 2015, 09:13:48 AMStill haven't ever gotten a smartphone... Mostly because I don't want to pay $50-100+ a month for one.
Also I like human interaction.
I've got a Galaxy S5 that I only pay $40 a month for 2~4GB data, 200 minutes, and unlimited texting (iirc)

ZeldaFan

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 01, 2015, 10:13:48 AMI've got a Galaxy S5 that I only pay $40 a month for 2~4GB data, 200 minutes, and unlimited texting (iirc)
Wow what carrier do you go through?
Although, I've been with Verizon since I got a phone, so I've had the same phone number for 8 years... I don't really want to change it now :-\

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Maelstrom

Quote from: ZeldaFan on May 01, 2015, 10:32:07 AMWow what carrier do you go through?
Although, I've been with Verizon since I got a phone, so I've had the same phone number for 8 years... I don't really want to change it now :-\
Virgin Mobile. The only downside is you need to buy an unlocked phone from them. But, hey, it's contract free...

braix

I see 5 year olds with ipads now. I can only imagine what 5 year olds will be holding twenty years from now.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

my smartphone was 40 bucks and it's pay as you go so I usually end up spending 20 dollars every 3 months
unmotivated

Sebastian

Don't have a phone. Don't need a phone.
It really depends on how old you are or youR life circumstances.

DrP

I got my first phone in High School when I was 14 (2006) to help coordinate with my extracurriculars (I had 200 minutes and 50 texts per month... that's dating myself. Damn). I got my first smartphone when I was a senior (2009)

I honestly think kids should get phones when there is a demonstrated need (so high school time). My 11 year old cousin has an ipod touch she uses to text using an email address, and honestly I think that's fine, but a phone really isnt that necessary for them at that age.

I go through smartphones like crazy (since 2009, I've had a blackberry, a HTC EVO, a HTC Windows Phone, a Motorola Photon, an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5, a Nexus 5, a iPhone 5S and now an iPhone 6 Plus). I never break them, I just get lucky and find out loopholes in contracts and stuff. My firm pays for my phone now, so I can rack up the data with no care (both in the US and international)!

InsigTurtle

I don't have a phone, but the need for it is growing because people in my school pretty much only communicate via texting.

I guess people should get a phone once they understand the responsibility of having it. I know someone whose sister in grade 5 managed to go past her plan's limit of her unlimited texting. I don't know how that happened. They had to pay $200 extra for that...

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: ZeldaFan on May 01, 2015, 06:47:20 AM#50 - May 1, 2015
How old were you when you got your first cell phone?
How old do you think a kid should be before they get their first one?
I don't have a phone. I don't need a phone.

I'd say a good age would be 13-16+ depending on the necessity of it.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Saria

I got a flip phone at age 11 or 12 because I lived far from my school and I needed some form of communication because NYC can be preeetty dangerous. I just upgraded to an iPhone last year.

I think kids should start with flip phones so they could know the struggles and be grateful for what they have.
Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday

mikey

Quote from: Saria on May 01, 2015, 08:31:52 PMI got a flip phone at age 11 or 12 because I lived far from my school and I needed some form of communication because NYC can be preeetty dangerous. I just upgraded to an iPhone last year.

I think kids should start with flip phones so they could know the struggles and be grateful for what they have.
what are you talking about flip phones are the bomb
unmotivated

braix

you truly know the struggle only if you've started with something better, then got degraded to a flip phone
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Saria

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 01, 2015, 08:39:54 PMwhat are you talking about flip phones are the bomb
iPhones can do anything. In fact, I'm using my phone right now to make this post! Kakaka

Quote from: braixen1264 on May 01, 2015, 09:28:55 PMyou truly know the struggle only if you've started with something better, then got degraded to a flip phone
As long as you've had both, you can still see the comparison between the two.
Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday