Headline News - A Collection of Crytpic References

Started by MaestroUGC, August 10, 2018, 07:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Every so often I like to update the news banner with a reference to a song I like. However I realize not everyone will get the reference so whenever I update the News Feed I'll post the old ones here along with a link to the song in question. There isn't a fixed schedule for when I change the references, so keep an eye out for them, and if you get stumped feel free to ask me on the NSM Discord or just give it a google.

Increasing numbers of protests have one man lamenting that "war is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate." He went on further to say amidst picket lines and picket signs "don't punish me with brutality, talk to me so you can see what's going on."
"What's Going On" from What's Going On (1971) by Marvin Gaye

Rumors have surfaced of a man who spends his time sitting on the San Francisco docks, staring out into the water. He's assumed to originally come from Georgia, he's a lonely figure just wasting time.
"(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay", a single by Otis Redding (1968)

Personals: You could have anything you want. Steam train, aero-plane, a big dipper, bumper cars. All you have to do is call me, I'll be anything you need, even a sledgehammer.
"Sledgehammer", from So by Peter Gabriel.

Local radio DJ has been picking up some good vibrations coming from a blossom world, commenting that it's giving him excitations. He's probably on drugs.
"Good Vibrations", a single by The Beach Boys.

A recent conspiracy has been uncovered of a sinister plot to turn children into cynical, practical, logical adults. One man reports being called a radical, liberal for not adhering to the program. Others even refer to such dissidents as "fanatical, criminals". It seems the goal is to turn people into respectable vegetables.
The Logical Song, from Breakfast in America by Supertramp

Local doomsayer warns of impending destruction to coincide with the arrival of the year 2000, and advises people to party as though it is the penultimate year. We didn't have the heart to tell him that was nearly twenty years ago.
1999, from 1999 by Prince.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MaestroUGC

Rumors have surfaced of a man who spends his time sitting on the San Francisco docks, staring out into the water. He's assumed to originally come from Georgia, he's a lonely figure just wasting time.
"(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay", a single by Otis Redding (1968)

MaestroUGC

Personals: You could have anything you want. Steam train, aero-plane, a big dipper, bumper cars. All you have to do is call me, I'll be anything you need, even a sledgehammer.
"Sledgehammer", from So by Peter Gabriel.

MaestroUGC

Local radio DJ has been picking up some good vibrations coming from a blossom world, commenting that it's giving him excitations. He's probably on drugs.
"Good Vibrations", a single by The Beach Boys.

MaestroUGC

A recent conspiracy has been uncovered of a sinister plot to turn children into cynical, practical, logical adults. One man reports being called a radical, liberal for not adhering to the program. Others even refer to such dissidents as "fanatical, criminals". It seems the goal is to turn people into respectable vegetables.
The Logical Song, from Breakfast in America by Supertramp

mikey

I actually know that song reasonably well because it's in my playlist for some reason, but I didn't make the connection

I guarantee you if you're as screwed up as I am the song feels super relatable at times
unmotivated