The Upcoming Games Topic

Started by Olimar12345, January 24, 2015, 02:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

I've never played GTA, but Saints Row is one of my favorites because it manages to be well written (in that it is quite humorous and can make fun of itself pretty well too), has a ton of variety, and has a lot of very entertaining and enjoyable gameplay.  Sleeping Dogs is another crime open world game, but with a unique atmosphere and really well done story, along with a fun combat system and for the most part well done missions.

So I know nothing of what critics say about GTA story and whatever, but were it to be some afterthought then you have to realize it has the same base appeal as, say, Mario Galaxy, where it has enjoyable and well polished gameplay with enough variety to keep you interested, while the story is just some tacked-on thing meant to allow the game to begin and end somewhere :P

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy games with an engrossing story and/or lore, but I also can enjoy more than one type of thing ;)

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 27, 2015, 05:26:15 PMDon't get me wrong, I do enjoy games with an engrossing story and/or lore, but I also can enjoy more than one type of thing ;)
What are you
unmotivated

Yugi

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 27, 2015, 01:00:47 PMGTA 5 makes fun of social media, videogame addiction, women, minorities, drug abuse, and promiscuity but it is never really clear whether the game has any goal in mind in doing so. Satire seeks to improve humanity by arousing our disapproval of an object or idea. GTA 5 just wants us laugh at how misguided its black characters are, how annoying its female characters are, and how many penis jokes "Trevor" can recite. It is also very racist and sexist.

GTA 5 has little room for women except to portray them as strippers, prostitutes, long-suffering wives, humorless girlfriends and goofy, new-age feminists which is NOT funny.

http://gamechurch.com/grand-theft-auto-5-is-a-bad-game/
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review/1900-6414475/

Quote from: the first articleI am told that GTA5 is a satire of the American Dream... kinda like GTA4 was satire of the American dream. Satire, however, generally has something to say. GTA5 makes fun of social media, videogame addiction, women, minorities, drug abuse, and promiscuity but it is never really clear whether the game has any goal in mind in doing so. Satire seeks to improve humanity by arousing our disapproval of an object or idea. GTA5 just wants us laugh at how misguided its black characters are, how annoying its female characters are, and how many penis jokes Trevor can recite.

Quote from: the second article, but its quoted in the first articleOn a less positive note, it's deeply frustrating that, while its central and supporting male characters are flawed and complex characters, with a few extremely minor exceptions (such as the aforementioned optional getaway driver), GTA V has little room for women except to portray them as strippers, prostitutes, long-suffering wives, humorless girlfriends and goofy, new-age feminists we're meant to laugh at.

MLF, I'm going to ask this again, have you actually played the game?
I'm going to make sure you actually see this.

Sebastian

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 27, 2015, 05:12:12 PMThe only selling point is that you can go anywhere and do anything.
Thats why Im looking forward to Zelda U.

Quote from: Yugi on January 27, 2015, 05:22:50 PMhttp://gamechurch.com/grand-theft-auto-5-is-a-bad-game/
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review/1900-6414475/

MLF, I'm going to ask this again, have you actually played the game?
Quote from: blueflower999 on January 27, 2015, 05:24:34 PMOuch, he's got you there.  :P
lol.....I couldn't say it any better than them :P
And yes! I've played the game.

mikey

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SMASH BROS TO COME OUT
unmotivated

AwesomeYears

mikey

unmotivated

AwesomeYears

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 27, 2015, 08:47:43 PMlol.....I couldn't say it any better than them :P

Quotewe asked our writers to explore the spiritual side of videogames

top tier source u got there

me irl
[close]

mikey

unmotivated

Xaoz

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

K-NiGhT

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 27, 2015, 08:47:43 PMlol.....I couldn't say it any better than them :P
You actually said what they said word for word. So, no, apparently you couldn't say it any better since you can't seem to form your own opinion.

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 27, 2015, 05:26:15 PMI've never played GTA, but Saints Row is one of my favorites because it manages to be well written (in that it is quite humorous and can make fun of itself pretty well too), has a ton of variety, and has a lot of very entertaining and enjoyable gameplay.  Sleeping Dogs is another crime open world game, but with a unique atmosphere and really well done story, along with a fun combat system and for the most part well done missions.

So I know nothing of what critics say about GTA story and whatever, but were it to be some afterthought then you have to realize it has the same base appeal as, say, Mario Galaxy, where it has enjoyable and well polished gameplay with enough variety to keep you interested, while the story is just some tacked-on thing meant to allow the game to begin and end somewhere :P

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy games with an engrossing story and/or lore, but I also can enjoy more than one type of thing ;)
this, basically. GTA V wasn't anywhere near the best game I've ever played, nor does it probably even make my top 10 or even 20 favorite games of all time. It was still enjoyable for what it was, though.

Also, Kefka, S/O to Saints Row. That game is actually fun.

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 28, 2015, 12:11:42 PMhttp://www.gamnesia.com/news/tons-of-new-details-on-xenoblade-chronicles-x-including-factions-and-online#.VMlBnUfYThQ

300. ****ing. Hours.
welp. bai wallet.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

the_last_sheikah

You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!