Series: Other
Game: Magical Starsign
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Port Pescato
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LifeMushroom

[attachment deleted by admin]

LifeMushroom

Fixed formatting issues, can someone please add measure numbers and remove the piano abbreviation?

Bespinben

I feel.... maybe with this one we should go back to the arranging grindstone for a bit.

There are a few factors that can/should play into how you approach this particular song:
1.) You omitted the lower string voice, presumably because of the overlap of the guitar accompaniment.
2.) Even so, the guitar accompaniment still overlaps into the melody at times.
3.) There's a supporting voice in the bass (the first note of each arpeggio on the guitar) that is actually an octave lower than you have written.
4.) This piece strikes me as one of those... stately "langsam" songs. The notation should somehow... reflect this character.

I just feel you could do little more with making your arrangement more suitable to the aesthetics of piano.

I understand my criticism might seem somewhat vague, so if you're still not sure how to proceed, I wrote up an example of how I would have arranged the first four measures that you can reference:

Spoiler

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/Magical%20Starsign%20-%20Port%20Pescato.mid

By transposing the accompaniment an octave lower, issues 1 and 3 are solved, and by inverting the chords of the arpeggios, issue 2 is solved likewise. The halving of the note values (ex: 8ths to the 16ths) helps portray this slow, stately mood (compare to Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique, 2nd Movement).
[close]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

So whaddya think LifeMushroom?

Most of this stuff you can do in Notepad, just so you know. Even the pedal markings!

LifeMushroom

Sorry, was busy with school. Reuploaded updated MUS file.
I couldn't get the sixteenth rest in with the quarter note, so I tried straight 16th notes.

One more question, because the time signature is 2/4, does the metronome marking get halved?
If you go here: http://www.metronomeonline.com/, I feel 88 is the best tempo, so I cut it in half... not sure if that's what I do.

Bespinben

Ah! Classic. I love getting to tell people about this. So pivotal.

Quote from: LifeMushroom on January 23, 2015, 01:16:05 PMI couldn't get the sixteenth rest in with the quarter note, so I tried straight 16th notes.

This is what we would call writing in a separate "layer". See the little "1, 2, 3, 4" numbers at the very bottom-left hand corner of the screen in Finale? If you click on 2, you'll be able to write a quarter note under the 16ths in layer 1. Try it out.
(You can also use the 2nd layer to produce double stems for when two voices are in unison [ex: RH of measure 2).

Quote from: LifeMushroom on January 23, 2015, 01:16:05 PMOne more question, because the time signature is 2/4, does the metronome marking get halved?
If you go here: http://www.metronomeonline.com/, I feel 88 is the best tempo, so I cut it in half... not sure if that's what I do.

Yes! Perfect. That's exactly what needs to happen. However, it needs to happen because we halved all the notes values, not necessarily because we changed the time signature to 2/4. Otherwise, you get a super fast playback like the MUS currently does :P Since the tempo you suggested is 44, I would recommend either rounding it to 40 or 45, and writing a more appropriate tempo qualifier (like "lento" or "langsam"). Moderato is a lot faster.

One last thing... I find OST tracks having a "Port Pescato (Frozen)" and just a normal "Port Pescato". I don't see any of them calling the normal version "thawed". Just thought I'd let you know, from the perspective of one trying to find the music.

(There is still 4 measures, btw. I only wrote 2 in my example for demonstrative purposes. The melody is a little different in the second round, so no repeat sign after measure 2)

LifeMushroom

Thanks, updated. I think all that's left which I can't do is to remove the Pno. thing and fix the alignment of the Ped markings and finishing touches. Also, can you add the slurs? It's wacking up for me.

P.S. How long does it take for a submission to get to the main website?
EDIT: Also, do you have to put the new URL of NinSheetMusic?

Bespinben

Great job! You took to it like a natural. Here are those finishing touches:
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

I would say... submissions take as long as I keep saying you forgot the pickles. But don't worry - I put them back in.
It will good for you to know them though. For example:
~ Notice how I "split" the beams in measure 2, beat 2? You do this by selecting a beamed note and pressing "/". This helps give the sense of beat 2 and beat 2.5 being separate, plus, beams over rest can be unattractive at times. Not always though, but here, yes. Another good trick when it comes to layers is pressing "L", which will flip the stem upside down. No need to do it here though, but future arrangements you might need to.
~ Just a question that's all -- are you familiar with the pedal notation "simile" or "con pedale"? These will save lots of space on your sheet, and communicates the idea instantly without a lot of hassle. In my sheets, I like to write invisible pedal markings anyway just to help with the playback, but that's just me. You don't have to do that, but you may want to consider these pedal shortcuts. If you really starting thinking about it, the whole 2nd layer concept is nearly in itself a form of pedal notation. That's a little more advanced though.
~ Copyright info! Make sure to use the new site URL "http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/"
~ Measure 4 - I looked at the way you transcribed it, and the highest note of the left hand, the C, overlaps with the RH, which is what we've been trying to avoid this whole time. So, I changed the inversion. Also, completely optional, but a fermata would be uber smexy right at the very end of measure 8. Totally your call though.

Keep up the great work!

LifeMushroom

Thanks for everything!
Thanks for the future info. I am familiar with simile, but I didn't know how to put it in. :P

Don't really think I want to add a fermata, as the song loops and contains that constant flow.
Also, when I meant, when does it go to the site, I don't mean when does it get submitted. I mean, when will it be on NinSheetMusic? I have another sheet ready, so, just asking.

So, are we all ready for publication now?
Also, why does the midi sound like a guitar?  :-\

Bespinben

Quote from: LifeMushroom on January 23, 2015, 05:56:32 PMAlso, when I meant, when does it go to the site, I don't mean when does it get submitted. I mean, when will it be on NinSheetMusic? I have another sheet ready, so, just asking.
Ah! Ok. The automated update system is really so new. From the 3 or so updates so far, it seems like once the list of accepted arrangements hits 15, then it's likely to get on-site.

Quote from: LifeMushroom on January 23, 2015, 05:56:32 PMwhy does the midi sound like a guitar?  :-\
Ssssh, it's a secret  :-X

(If you don't like it, I can change it back. Just thought it would be fun.)

LifeMushroom

Bespinben

All is as it should be now  8) Updated files and submission.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot