http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/146-fate-reforged
PRERELEASE EVENT is on the 17th and the 18th
check your LGS for more details
unmotivated

mikey

PLEASE TELL ME YOU WERE KIDDING ABOUT BOB BEING WEAK
unmotivated

AwesomeYears

Well, at first, I didn't like how you have to lose life to draw a card (depending on the card) and plus its stats weren't good enough (20 life for each player seems too little in order to be worth) but the users save me telling me that black has low costing spells and creatures, plus you won't lose life if you draw a land. Unfortunately, I worded my sentence saying that life is more important than card advantage in general causing a wave of comments saying that I'm dumb and I'm a phony saying I played Hearthstone, even being teased in the Hearthstone subreddit. I know about Hearthstone alot and the different decks, so yeah. Anyway, I meant to say that in Magic, life is more important than card advantage. Sorry for the wall of text.

mikey

The only point of life that matters is the last one.
Besides, don't players in Hearthstone have 20 life?
Card advantage is way more important than 1 point of life.  There's a reason this card is just about the strongest one of the year:

More experienced players will see it as this:

and this little beauty is banned in all competitive formats except for vintage where it's restricted.  Having bob on the field could be the difference between topdecking a land or topdecking your Aetherling.  Seeing twice as many cards as your opponent (can also be read as winning the game) is worth exactly 19 life.  So how far would I go to win?  I would pay 19 life and use 60 cards.  That card that bob gave you might be that Force of Will you were hoping for.  I definitely don't blame you though; if all you've played is a couple of crazy kitchen-table magic games you probably don't have a feel for how hard it is to assess cards like these.
Quick question though; Which card of these two is better?

I played a bit of hearthstone because of all the hype but I quickly grew very bored of it.
unmotivated

AwesomeYears

Hearthstone has 30 life each, not 20.

As for the which card is better, I'm stumped, I pretty much have no idea, saying Descreation Demon feels like I'm falling into a newbie trap :/

mikey

Technically since the 2 cards aren't similar enough there's no way to declare which is better!
But yeah as far as being competitively viable the putrid leech has seen way more play than the demon
demon was only around for a couple months, leech is still in modern
unmotivated

mikey

That moment when you realize siege rhino is the equivalent of 2 free mantis riders on cast and has a 4/5 trampling body to stick around

unmotivated

mikey

unmotivated

AwesomeYears

Well, I finally got myself a Fat Pack!(Fate Reforged) Anyone want pics?

mikey

bro
what rares did you get
In other news, I went to a draft and got an Ugin pack 1 and in my 3 prize packs (because I'm pro) I got a monastery mentor.
50 bucks for a 15 dollar draft
PROFIT
unmotivated

mikey

If you've thought about playing Magic but worried it was too expensive, now with "Fate Reforged" might be the time to hop in.  The profit from this set is ridiculous.  I dropped 8 bucks on 2 packs and opened up a second monastery mentor, a card that you can easily sell to someone for 20 bucks.  Only scrubs lose money playing magic.  Scrubs and rich people. :P

AwesomeYears what did you get in the fat pack D:
unmotivated

AwesomeYears

Sorry for the delay! I actually got a Fate Reforged Fat Pack!
In order of Rares, I've got;
Soulflayer
Dromoka the Eternal
Yasova Dragonclaw
Temporal Trespass (Mythic Rare!)
Flamerush Rider
Archfiend of Depravity
Mob Rule
Sandsteppe Mastrodon
Rally The Ancestors

mikey

Keep flamerush, archfiend, soulflayer, and yasova, pop off as soon as possible Temporal trespass while it's decent price... the other 5 are pretty much bulk.  Any foil uncommons?
unmotivated

mikey

Quote from: AwesomeYears on January 28, 2015, 02:02:43 PMSorry for the delay! I actually got a Fate Reforged Fat Pack!
In order of Rares, I've got;
Soulflayer
Mob Rule
Rally The Ancestors
for what it's worth, these cards all ended up seeing serious standard play at some point.  Rally is still played, and won first place at the most recent Grand Prix.

Anyway, lying in bed this morning I had a terrific idea.  There's a deck in standard called Jeskai Ascendancy combo, which you can read up on here:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/jeskai-ascendancy-combo/
but the gist of it is that you keep casting cheap spells to untap your guys and tap your guys to cast more spells etc.  The deck is pretty, uh... inconsistent.  But a few new cards got printed in standard and now I think a better version of the deck exists and everyone else has already given up on the deck.  Only problem is I have no money to test it.  To any of you who play magic and are interested in testing this out with me lemme know cause I really think this could work
unmotivated