[NDS] Pokémon Black/White - "Ending 'Onward to Our Own Futures' (Two Pianos)" by JDMEK5

Started by Zeta, November 17, 2014, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Black/White
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Ending 'Onward to Our Own Futures'
Instrumentation Two Pianos
Arranger: JDMEK5

[attachment deleted by admin]

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Here we go! (Sorry for the wait  ::) )

*I think the LH of Piano 1 in m. 1-28 should be marked with 8vb (well, technically should be 8va basso, but that's a whole different debate :P), since it's always hitting away in that ledger line territory. Also, the LH of Piano 2 in m. 29-36 deserves (perhaps moreso than the last) similar treatment.
*M. 37-70 ~ You begin here to use 5 measure systems, which sometimes look very cramped. I'd advise against having anymore than 4 per system. Do what you think is best Mr. Piano Teacher!
*M. 55-70 ~ This won't affect the decision of acceptance, but I just feel like.... the tenderness of this passage wasn't quite captured well enough. Maybe it's just a matter of Finale playback, and/or maybe it's just because I just love this part so much that my adoration blinds me. Just try something T_T
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on March 05, 2015, 11:14:17 AMHere we go! (Sorry for the wait  ::) )
Not a problem. I know you're real busy and I'm glad you didn't forget. :P

Quote from: Bespinben on March 05, 2015, 11:14:17 AM*I think the LH of Piano 1 in m. 1-28 should be marked with 8vb (well, technically should be 8va basso, but that's a whole different debate :P), since it's always hitting away in that ledger line territory. Also, the LH of Piano 2 in m. 29-36 deserves (perhaps moreso than the last) similar treatment.
I used the octava bassa clef because it's cleaner and therefore makes more sense.

Quote from: Bespinben on March 05, 2015, 11:14:17 AM*M. 37-70 ~ You begin here to use 5 measure systems, which sometimes look very cramped. I'd advise against having anymore than 4 per system.
What do you mean by 5 measure system? Do you mean 5 per line?

Quote from: Bespinben on March 05, 2015, 11:14:17 AMDo what you think is best Mr. Piano Teacher!
I'm not able to pick up sarcasm over written text but I'm going to assume it wasn't for the sake of tranquility. Though I may have mentioned my teaching occupation once or twice somewhere I in no way meant to boast about knowledge or ability. I know I still have a long way to go and if I wasn't prepared to keep learning lots wherever I can then I wouldn't be here; I'd prob be starting my own site or going freelance.

Quote from: Bespinben on March 05, 2015, 11:14:17 AM*M. 55-70 ~ This won't affect the decision of acceptance, but I just feel like.... the tenderness of this passage wasn't quite captured well enough. Maybe it's just a matter of Finale playback, and/or maybe it's just because I just love this part so much that my adoration blinds me. Just try something T_T
I understand what you mean. I'll see what I can do with it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I haven't actually updated the files yet. I'll do it when I finish with the softness of the middle section and clear up those 5 measure systems.

My Arrangements

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 06, 2015, 03:33:38 PMI used the octava bassa clef because it's cleaner and therefore makes more sense.
As has been said many times before, they're not used in piano music, or most music for that matter. Apart from anything else, even though it might be 'cleaner' the helpfulness of having the line as a constant reminder is too often understated.

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 06, 2015, 03:33:38 PMI used the octava bassa clef because it's cleaner and therefore makes more sense.
Erm..... currently I see neither 8vb-----| nor a transposed clef, so I'll take either at this rate (preferably ottava though, with Deku my witness)

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 06, 2015, 03:33:38 PMWhat do you mean by 5 measure system? Do you mean 5 per line?
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I haven't actually updated the files yet. I'll do it when I finish with the softness of the middle section and clear up those 5 measure systems.
I just mean the measure distribution (1 measure making everything too far apart, 10 making everything extremely squished), but it seems you picked up on my meaning, so yay :) My rule of thumb is just to lay out the measures according the hypermeter of the piece, which sometimes works..... and sometimes doesn't XD

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 06, 2015, 03:33:38 PM*teaching position reference*
I actually just meant it in an endearing way, haha. I have yet to be graced with a chance to use my music knowledge for something practical, so I was admiring your being in that position.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on March 15, 2015, 08:45:44 PMErm..... currently I see neither 8vb-----| nor a transposed clef, so I'll take either at this rate (preferably ottava though, with Deku my witness)
Yeah, I was just going to fix that when I fixed the other stuff too. I'll be getting to that within the next few days.

Quote from: Bespinben on March 15, 2015, 08:45:44 PMI just mean the measure distribution (1 measure making everything too far apart, 10 making everything extremely squished), but it seems you picked up on my meaning, so yay :) My rule of thumb is just to lay out the measures according the hypermeter of the piece, which sometimes works..... and sometimes doesn't XD
Lol alright. :P

Quote from: Bespinben on March 15, 2015, 08:45:44 PMI actually just meant it in an endearing way, haha. I have yet to be graced with a chance to use my music knowledge for something practical, so I was admiring your being in that position.
Oh ok, cool. Lol you should totally teach though. Unless you currently have a better source of income.

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Do you think an amateur pianist would understand 8va___| under a line means to play an octave lower, not an octave higher? I mean I know it does, but the prevalence of 8vb is well..... prevalent. The ultra prim-and-proper way is of course "8va bassa___|", but Finale doesn't exactly have that built in for easy use (besides drawing non-functional playback lines with dash tool).

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on April 14, 2015, 11:13:26 PMDo you think an amateur pianist would understand 8va___| under a line means to play an octave lower, not an octave higher? I mean I know it does, but the prevalence of 8vb is well..... prevalent. The ultra prim-and-proper way is of course "8va bassa___|", but Finale doesn't exactly have that built in for easy use (besides drawing non-functional playback lines with dash tool).
It's for this reason I tried my best to keep it as close to the staff as possible to avoid confusion with others but I think it's sufficiently obvious.

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Oof! Fix that URL real quick, and I click the shiny button.

Should read exactly as:
http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/

Capital letters and all.
(Not sure why that's a thing, but that's the policy)

Move the credits info w/ the URL up just a tiny bit too, so it's not so close to the page margin.

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

Zeta