Baka94's compositions and remixes

Started by Baka94, November 11, 2014, 03:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baka94

Here are some compositions and remixes I have made over the years. It would be nice to get some REAL (constructive) feedback on both of them.
Compositions: http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOw_69rnKcVqY0VVaqTXJTzHvs5G8Ho8Z
Remixes: http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOw_69rnKcVrnVfSWA0mmc3N8GkFa-TK6
; My brain activity
MainLoop:
NOP
JMP MainLoop

Bespinben

I liked the World of Blocks piece - sounds like it fit right into Minecraft (which is what you were going for!).

I liked the overall rhythmic structure (the 'dotted-eighth + dotted-eighth --- eighth, eighth, eighth'). It gave it kind of a... lilting feel. A good example of this from Kid Icarus Uprising - Solo Menu (Palutena). I also liked the rhythmic variations in the melody. You wouldn't always start right on the beat - rather, sometimes it was tied over from the first beat and didn't begin again until the offbeat of the next. Sometimes some syncopated rhythms.

I also liked that you didn't keep the harmonies of the piece purely diatonic. Sure, some of my favorites can be played all on the white keys (I'm looking at you 'In the Hands of Fate'!), but that can get so bland sometimes. Borrowing from C# mixolydian for that E natural was a good move. It prevented the song from sounding too serene, and gave it a more confident mood. I also liked the contrasting second section of that song with its more unsettling minor and diminished chords, as if you being ambushed by a mob of... mobs :P.

Good stuff!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Baka94

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't originally intend World of Blocks begin specifically for Minecraft, just in general for games that has blocky appearance (like Terraria). Minecraft just is the most known one so I went with it. Just like you said, it's a good variation to use other keys too (than what the current key signature uses). This applies to key signature changes and transposing too. There is a soundtrack called "Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome ~ Border of Life", which has something like 5-7 key signature changes in it. As for transposing, I think it makes the transposed part sound more intense when you first play a melody and then repeat it, but transposed up a bit.

By the way, few days ago I uploaded a new original song to YouTube that you might want to hear.
Spoiler
It's PMD related  ;)
[close]
; My brain activity
MainLoop:
NOP
JMP MainLoop