Series: Other
Game: Getsu Fuuma Den
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: 3D Maze
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Baka94

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Never heard of this game before, but now you got me hooked on it. Look what you've done.

You did a very good job with your arrangement, especially considering you had to work with the abomination known as Finale Notepad to produce it. Normally, I would give you pointers on things to fix, but since your technology is limited, I simply did that for you, and took the liberty to heavily reformat your sheet with all sorts of fun things like dynamics, articulation, repeat systems, accidental respellings (Bb minor key fixes most of that), hand positioning, fingering, graphics, etc.

[NES] Getsu Fūma Den (月風魔伝):

"Dungeon":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

The one thing I am not certain about yet is the title for this song. I'm not sure if it's "Dungeon", "Cave", "Third Person Area", "3D Maze Stage", or all the above. From my research, the Third Person Area yields the strongest search results, but you know this game better than I do.

(And while I'm it, you wouldn't happen to be a PMD fan, would you Baka97? Just saw your avatar and wondered...  ::))
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bloop

I wonder how you want a player to play the whole notes while keeping that fingering. Maybe add pedal markings?
Also, that right hand sure has to make a huge jump in bar 6-7. I do have a feeling the player is able to play the right hand without all the hand positionings, it just seems confusing imo.

since when did a picture from the game become a possibility?

Bespinben

Yay critique!

Quote from: Bloop on November 05, 2014, 02:30:53 PMI wonder how you want a player to play the whole notes while keeping that fingering. Maybe add pedal markings?
Normally, I would have done that (in the MUS I've actually provided that - just invisible though), but as I've encountered more published piano literature, it seems that, at least in more modern publications, directly stating usage of the pedal is often avoided. One common technique I've seen is, instead, to write a bass note in a lower layer to indicate pedal usage and the length thereof.

The below is an excerpt of an arrangement of "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" by Howard Helvey. Either we assume the publishers think we have a LH span of a 15th, or we assume that the sustained Eb in the lower layer of m. 83 is merely an indication in of itself to use the pedal. I opt for the latter.

Or, the player of Baka's sheet could just finger m. 2-5 linearly as 5-4-3-2-1, which is probably what you're going for. Both methods are accounted for and possible in this notation, as finger markings never really were mandatory.

Quote from: Bloop on November 05, 2014, 02:30:53 PMAlso, that right hand sure has to make a huge jump in bar 6-7. I do have a feeling the player is able to play the right hand without all the hand positionings, it just seems confusing imo.
Granted, you make a good point. A lot of this sheet was me just having fun with my new toy, Finale 2014, and also because I really came to like the song, so I wanted to give Baka a good tribute for introducing me to it. The hand positionings could be treated the same way as the finger markings mentioned earlier - you can do them, or you can not do them. Either way works, and the notation accounts for both possibilities (using just the RH, or using both in the way I notated), which is why I kept the arpeggio strictly in the upper staff. If I was really stingy and insisted my way or the highway, I could have notated the hand positioning by alternating the arpeggio notes between both upper and lower staves, but I realized that would be very restricting, so I didn't.

Quote from: Bloop on November 05, 2014, 02:30:53 PMsince when did a picture from the game become a possibility?
I thought it'd be fun! One of Dusk's guitar arrangements does it for a tablature of his PMD2 Bubbles Shining Over the Sea, but I think the link for that is long dead.

Maelstrom

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Bespinben on November 05, 2014, 05:07:36 PMNormally, I would have done that (in the MUS I've actually provided that - just invisible though), but as I've encountered more published piano literature, it seems that, at least in more modern publications, directly stating usage of the pedal is often avoided. One common technique I've seen is, instead, to write a bass note in a lower layer to indicate pedal usage and the length thereof.
That depends on your definition of modern. It goes all the way back to Debussy and Rachmaninoff and maybe even earlier. This one takes it to the extreme by the end

Quote from: maelstrom. on November 05, 2014, 05:44:54 PMPlease, no musx files
Yeah, we don't accept those yet. You can use File->Export->Finale 2012

Bespinben

Oh, it has a different file format... interesting. Fixed!

Oh, doy! Prelude in C#, of course. Should have thought of that sooner. I think I'll refer to that next time people on Youtube make disparaging comments about my 3-staff arrangements  :-X

The Deku Trombonist

Finale hired some dude to redesign their file format and one of its features is that it will be freely forwards and backwards compatible from Finale 2014 onwards.

Baka94

Quote from: Bespinben on November 05, 2014, 02:18:41 PMYou did a very good job with your arrangement, especially considering you had to work with the abomination known as Finale Notepad to produce it. Normally, I would give you pointers on things to fix, but since your technology is limited, I simply did that for you, and took the liberty to heavily reformat your sheet with all sorts of fun things like dynamics, articulation, repeat systems, accidental respellings (Bb minor key fixes most of that), hand positioning, fingering, graphics, etc.

It actually looks better now. I did all that I could do with the free version of Finale, because I don't know any better free software for making sheets (well there is musescore but that's not very easy to use imo). I'll edit the submission and change the files.

Quote from: Bespinben on November 05, 2014, 02:18:41 PMThe one thing I am not certain about yet is the title for this song. I'm not sure if it's "Dungeon", "Cave", "Third Person Area", "3D Maze Stage", or all the above. From my research, the Third Person Area yields the strongest search results, but you know this game better than I do.

I took a look at the game's manual and it seems to call them 3D迷路. According to a translator I used 迷路 means maze, labyrinth or blind alley, so I guess "3D Maze" would be a better name.

Quote from: Bespinben on November 05, 2014, 02:18:41 PM(And while I'm it, you wouldn't happen to be a PMD fan, would you Baka97? Just saw your avatar and wondered...  ::))

Yes I am  ;D

Quote from: Bloop on November 05, 2014, 02:30:53 PMAlso, that right hand sure has to make a huge jump in bar 6-7. I do have a feeling the player is able to play the right hand without all the hand positionings, it just seems confusing imo.

Well, you could play the note at the beginning of the 7th bar with your left hand to give some more time to shift your right hand since it's exactly octave apart from the other note you need to play with your left hand.
; My brain activity
MainLoop:
NOP
JMP MainLoop

Bespinben

Quote from: Baka94 on November 06, 2014, 01:46:25 AMWell, you could play the note at the beginning of the 7th bar with your left hand to give some more time to shift your right hand since it's exactly octave apart from the other note you need to play with your left hand.

Ooh! I like that. That's why you're the arranger :P Like 'dis?
(#brackets-alla-Rachmaninoff)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/Getsu%20Fuuma%20Den%20-%20Dungeon%20%28revised%20-%20for%20Baka97%29%20%281%29.mus

Quote from: Baka94 on November 06, 2014, 01:46:25 AMYes I am  ;D
You're a good man.

Bloop

I guess that the hand positionings should be marked as optional in the sheet, like "optional hand positions" above measure 6.
Also, in measure 7, I think switching RH and LH on beat 1, using the LH for beat 2 and 3 and then again the RH on beat 4 would be a better positioning. forget this that looks better actually
Quote from: Bespinben on November 05, 2014, 05:07:36 PMYay critique!
Normally, I would have done that (in the MUS I've actually provided that - just invisible though), but as I've encountered more published piano literature, it seems that, at least in more modern publications, directly stating usage of the pedal is often avoided. One common technique I've seen is, instead, to write a bass note in a lower layer to indicate pedal usage and the length thereof.
Hm yeah, I think I've read that before. It may not be clear to some newbie/non-music theory players though. A simple con pedale under measure 2 could fix that. Any other opinions?

EDIT: Also, make sure that you edit the title in NSM Panel too. It'll show up as Dungeon on the site otherwise.