News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Firefox

Started by PianoMan, May 30, 2008, 07:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PianoMan

I wasn't sure where to put this, so, if it's not in the right place, just move it.

I have Firefox 2. When I try to download a .mus (not a .MUS, that works fine, like the ones on the main site), Firefox doesn't know what program to open it up with. I want to get it so It will open with NotePad, but ask me first.

Requiem

I don't know if you're having the same problem as me. Are you downloading via MediaFire and getting something like "application/octet-stream". If you are, just hit "Browse" and click on the Finale NotePad shortcut I'm assuming you have on your desktop. Then just uncheck "Do this every time" if it's checked. If that's your problem, that's how to get around it. If not...disregard this post, lol. ;D

PrizeRebel <-- Earn Free Goodies Like Precious Nexon Cash! Kudos to Gamer4250

PianoMan

Quote from: Requiem on May 30, 2008, 12:05:39 PMI don't know if you're having the same problem as me. Are you downloading via MediaFire and getting something like "application/octet-stream". If you are, just hit "Browse" and click on the Finale NotePad shortcut I'm assuming you have on your desktop. Then just uncheck "Do this every time" if it's checked. If that's your problem, that's how to get around it. If not...disregard this post, lol. ;D
That's my problem. However, I want it to always have that as a default but still ask me, so I don't have to browse (I don't know why, but if I try to open a file while NotePad is closed, it becomes unresponsive). Even if I did want it to do it automatically, I physically can't check the box.

Requiem

I'm afraid it's bugged. The same problem has plagued me for a week or so now. You're going to have to select Finale NotePad every time you want to open it. MediaFire seems to be headed downhill for me recently, first horrible lag and now this...

PianoMan

Yea... Now that you mention it, it did just start happening in the last week or so...

Parker2334

Do you have Vista or XP?

To change the default opener settings in Vista you go to

Start button->On the right click "Default Programs"( I know this because I have Vista Home)

In XP( I didn't nkow so I copied and pasted)-

1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click a file for which you want to change the program that opens that file type, and then use either of the following methods to change which program starts:

• Click Open With to choose the program that you want. 
• Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program to choose the program that you want.

2. Notice that the Open With dialog box appears. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use to open this kind of file:

• In the Programs list, click the program that you want. 
• Click Browse, locate and then click the program that you want to use, and then click OK.
• Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse the Internet for the program that you want. 

3. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not already selected.
4. Click OK.

Note From now on, Windows XP will open all files that have this file name extension in the associated program. To change this, you would have to follow these steps again and associate a different program with this file name extension.
THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Requiem

Very helpful, but sadly I don't think it applies to this situation. When the "glitch" occurs, Windows can't recognize the file type, so setting a default program for a specific file is pointless. If you save the file, the file type simply becomes "file". You need to redesignate the program for each occurance. I've had this happen with MP3 files as well.....I may need to find new file hosting soon if MediaFire doesn't improve... :P

PS: Is anyone else experiencing this besides me and PianoMan? :-\

Parker2334

Only 1 solution to this problem!

Drop FF and use IE7! ^_^

I dunno. Good luck though

Davey

IE7 ftl man... don't use that over firefox...

firefox started the tabbed browsing, and IE just wanted to be as cool as firefox.

also, where else are you going to get sweet themes like Aero-Fox?

Parker2334

I dunno what Aero Fox is, but the ability to...... makes IE7 the best.

MasterPenguin

I've had the same problem.

Oh well. Vista ftl.

PianoMan

IE is the 3rd best. Safari is 2nd and FireFox is 1st. However, this isn't a thread to bash web browsers. Do that in PC section (Dang, I'm sounding like a mod lol).