News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Order of the Games

Started by TurtwigAndSquirtle, October 19, 2014, 08:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtwigAndSquirtle

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but I've been using the site for some time and there's something that really annoys me.
I think that the games should be ordered from newest to oldest (or vice versa), instead of however it's order now.
For example, in the Pokemon section, the Pokemon XY music (or Red Blue Yellow) should be first, then the gen 5 games, and so on.

SlowPokemon

It's funny because this was literally just discussed. I too am in favor of chronological order listing, but it doesn't make sense to have newest first--in my opinion, it should be oldest at the top and newest at the bottom.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

I agree with Slow, the oldest should probably go first. But chronological ordering would be very nice.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mikey

Although I don't think any organization style is optimal for so many sheets, I'm starting to come around to the idea of chronological order.  Alphabetical just isn't working, partly because it's not done right, but yeah.
unmotivated

Olimar12345

I think chronologic order would be great, but the ability to choose between it and reverse chronologic order would be better. Give everyone what they want.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Huh if that's a possible thing, why not allow chronological, reverse chronological, AND alphabetical?

By the way, we'd need to come up with a system for release dates, since some games were released out of development order internationally--for example, in Japan, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was released before Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, while internationally it was the other way around. Pretty sure we'd default to the game's earliest release date, but it's still something to think about.

Maelstrom

^How about earliest release outside of Japan?

SlowPokemon

No, I think the earliest release date should be used. If anything, we would use the Japanese release date over everything else, but I think it makes more sense to go with the earliest release date.

The Deku Trombonist

Once chronological is added as an option, reverse/normal order for both chronological and alphabetical is literally the easiest thing to do.

Winter

We'd have to manually specify the release dates of each individual game, but beyond that, it should be no more trouble than adding a column in the SQL table and referencing that column's order rather than the "name" column. Although, I'm not familiar with our database layout personally.

Chronological orger is like having a rank by nostalgia button. Awesome!

ThatGamer

This sounds like a good idea!
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Yugi

We should probably make it alphabetical in the "other" section, though, so that it doesn't end up a mess.

mikey

Quote from: Yugi on January 03, 2015, 02:03:26 PMWe should probably make it alphabetical in the "other" section, though, so that it doesn't end up a mess.
But mlf worked his butt off getting all those dates
unmotivated

Sebastian

braix

It doesn't really make a difference to me. I mean, I can just Ctrl+F.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.