Series: Professor Layton
Game: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: St. Mystere
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

[attachment deleted by admin]

FireArrow

All the C#'s in the L.H. should be Db's (descending chromatics and it's a Bb diminished chord anyways.)

R.H. is fine (I think.)

EDIT: R.H. is probably Db too, B naturals in the walking bass should be Cb's.
Second EDIT: Fk, didn't notice was is in D minor
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bloop

I'll change some of the C#'s into Db's, the C# sometimes takes part in a Bbdim chord (bar 5) and sometimes in a A7 chord (bar 6).
Will do the Cb's though ^^ (after 8 hours. Schooool)
EDIT: Although you can also say it's a C#dim chord... Hm.

The Deku Trombonist

B naturals are potentially largely justified, seeing as it's in D minor (think D melodic minor, but descending in stead of the usual ascending).

Now as for bar 5. That's an interesting one. In general, you look for the chord of resolution to work out what the diminished chord functions as. In this case it's the F major chord in bar 6, so I could call it an E diminished chord. But seeing as Edim is enharmonically equivalent to C#dim you can look at it a different way, which is to say that the Fmaj is an irregular resolution of the C#dim chord. Bearing in mind that a diminished chord can resolve 4 ways (there are 2 tritones, each of which can resolve either outwards or inwards) I think it can get a bit tedious to start respelling the chord different ways every based on its resolution, especially when its function could just be that of an irregular resolution (a surprise). Being a surprise, I think it makes more sense to reflect this surprise in the enharmonic spelling.

Then again, there is an A on beat 4 in bar 5, so if we include that as part of the chord, which I think makes sense, all of that is irrelevant and it may as well just be A7(b9).

Basically, for long convoluted reasons, I think the spellings are ok the way they are.

Bloop

The Deku Trombonist

I can explain more if you want  :D

Also, leaving the chromatically descending bass line as it is makes a really nice sequence.

Bloop

Maelstrom

The Deku Trombonist

-The lower voice in the RH at the start plays a D on beat one of both bars. You could consider putting that in.
-The first note in the top voice of bars 1 and 2 is a G, not an A.
-Missing grace notes/turns/whatever it is on the first note of the melody in bars 3 and 7

I gotta go, I'll look the rest more later, although I'd suggest looking over the harmonies in the second half.
Edit: Nvm, fixed LH wrong notes and harmonies.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84117653/Updates/3.%20St.%20Mystere.mus

Bloop

The Deku Trombonist

Ok. I fixed a small layout thing with the repeats (the numbers were clashing with the notes) and added two chord notes that I missed from bar 14.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84117653/Updates/3.%20St.%20Mystere.zip

Bloop