Game: Pokémon Black/White
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: An Unwavering Heart
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: JDMEK5

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Deku Trombonist

A couple of presentation things:

In bar 12 in the left hand where there are those adjacent notes (the F and the E), you could change notehead of the top layer to the same as the minim and then overlap them so you're only seeing one of each note.

A little bracket/line/whatever would clear up exactly where the RH starts in bar 15. I think it's ok to just leave it as cross staff but seeing as you added the text, you kinda need to specifically relate it to something. Perhaps the D on beat 2 would also work better in the RH seeing as it's already floating around there from the chord on beat 1.

Personally, I'd like to see the crotchet and quaver rests in the top layer in the opening a little bit higher. The crotchet rests are borderline clashing with the semibreves and the quaver rests look a little low in relation to the crotchet rests.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on October 28, 2014, 02:30:43 AMPersonally, I'd like to see the crotchet and quaver rests in the top layer in the opening a little bit higher. The crotchet rests are borderline clashing with the semibreves and the quaver rests look a little low in relation to the crotchet rests.
I did a ton of term re-researching again there. :P

Ok, changed. How's that?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

The Deku Trombonist

Should I use Google Translate to translate my posts into American?

Bespinben

Very solid arrangement. Sounds great, plays great, looks great.

A few items I would suggest:

1.) I see the top note of the opening D6/9 chord as part of the melody, with the next two notes slightly accented. This would be true also for m. 2-3 & 5-7. One benefit of this notation is that it clears up the overlap between the slur from m.4 to m.5 against the glissando marking of m.5. that is present in your sheet.

2.) I love cross-staving. I'll take any excuse to do it. Measure 9, however, is not benefited by it's usage, because it blurs the distinction between the melody and the accompaniment. I suggest the following:
(I inserted a missing note there too, on the "and" of beat 4, from the timpani line. You can further accent that if you wish [either by articulation or octave doubling])

The same is applicable to measure 15:
(The RH chord was missing the major seventh [the C#], so I added that in there too)

(Also, see what you can do about m. 10 using the ideas I've presented in this step)

3.) Give those string backings some love! Let's take m. 12 for example. There's so much to gained for the texture when you add those descending parallel 6ths. Of course, with the LH piano accompaniment you have some overlapping notes, but all you have to do is redistribute some of the extra voices around, and... WALLA:

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

JDMEK! Respond so we can get this beautiful song on the site  ;D

(You can skip bullet point no. 1 if you wish. It's open to interpretation)

The Deku Trombonist

I would've said bullet point 1 is one of the more important ones. It may not be so obvious in the first couple of bars, but once you get to bar 4 the way it's written vs how it sounds does start to seem a bit strange.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on November 20, 2014, 02:25:12 PMJDMEK! Respond so we can get this beautiful song on the site  ;D

(You can skip bullet point no. 1 if you wish. It's open to interpretation)
Haha sorry. I've been crazy busy finishing up an arrangement of Poké Floats for my band. (Which I'm pleased to say is now done)
So I'll take a good crack at fixing this up within the week.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Awesome, thanks. I've been pretty busy lately trying to finish up a many years old labor of love myself too, so I totally understand.

(Record your performance, you must!)

Bespinben

Lol, it says you edited it on the 28th, but I still see the same sheet!  :o

Bespinben

Half a month later... erm... how 'bout I just do this one for ya?
(Hope the performance went well btw!)

Some changes made include:
*Step 1 from above, plus some redistribution of the notes to the LH in m. 1-7, which will accommodate the new notation better.
*Made a lot of changes in m. 9-10. Timpani and strings backings more accounted for. Cross-staving used in m. 10, using the same distribution of notes between the hands as original sheet in beats 3-4.
*Dynamics altered slightly (m. 13-15 works well with crescendo), but kept the contrast thereof from original sheet (p to mf, as opposed to mp to f).
*Step 3 from above was aborted. I decided this was your sheet - not BespinSheetMusic.
* Measure 13-16 were kept essentially the same, with the addition of the timpani line and adjustment of the RH chords. Beat 3.5 of m. 14 is a G not an F#.
*Measure 16 works best this way I promise (it makes things more consistent with how measure 10 was presented).
*Omitted "senza pedale" in measures 17-19. That's the place where it would need the pedal most, imo.

(Sorry if the playback seems a little muddy - my Finale seems to get more glitchy every day, and now it's deciding to derp with the sustain :/)

JDMEK5

Thanks a lot Bespinben. Sorry I kept putting it off but it wasn't till today that I finally hit Christmas break so now I'm done exams and band arrangements. (Haven't performed it yet; just finished arranging. I'll do what I can to record it though. ;) )

But it looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks a lot guys. :D

My Arrangements