News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Korados' New Arrangements

Started by Korados, September 05, 2014, 06:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korados

Hello everybody,

I won't arrange a lot but I tried to arrange again. And I need help!

[GCN] - Pikmin 2 - Submerged Castle: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkewvwr56kddunl/Submerged%20Castle.mus?dl=0

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ikt9RJCNk

The rhythm and tonality of this piece is totally freaky! I really don't know what to do about this. It took me an hour or so to even
figure out the pitch of the ostinato which is played throughout the piece. But I'm still not sure about it because the original sounds like an old music box.
When the main melody comes in, I gave up.
I just know that the rhythm of the ostinato is right but I guess the measures could be split up. In the second measure of the ostinato, there's a triplet
in the left hand which ends just before the note on the right hand so it sounds a bit like an arpeggio. I'd be glad if you could help me.

Thank you very much!

DonValentino

Woah hey! Welcome back, what a surprise! Remember me? I was WarioMan98, you were the first one to welcome me in here and help me out :J

Sorry for not doing any feedback, but I have Finale 2012 and I can't open that file. Either way, I'd like to see it, so could you please put a pdf too?

Oh yeah, and it's been a while since we here changed from Mediafire to Dropbox, it's much easier to manage and for people to download from, so please use it instead of Mediafire. ;J

Glad to see you back!

Olimar12345

I was actually studying this piece in preparation to make an arrangement of my own in the next few days or so (odd timing lol d: ) I could and would love to help too, but alas...mediafire... 
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Korados

Ok, I'm sorry... I didn't know you switched to Dropboox. I changed it now. :) Thank you for your welcome!
Interesting we had the same idea, Olimar. Some days ago, I decided to play Pikmin 2 again and finish all the way through.
Actually, I never completely finished it and when I visited the Submerged Castle the first time, I was so fascinated by the music
that I tried to arrange it. The piece is so different from the rest of the soundtrack, in my opinion. And although it sounds so easy,
I really have problems to properly arrange it. Maybe I just rusted a bit. :P I haven't arranged ever since.

Olimar12345

Funny, as I have been replaying the trilogy and am at Pikmin 2 as well d:

Unfortunately, I do not have Finale 2014 and cannot to anything with your .musx file. If you go to export, you should have the option to export the file as a .mus, the file type we still use here at NSM :J
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Korados

Ok, now it should be right! I thought that the .musx format is backwards compatible just like the files of Microsoft Office 2013. I will keep that in mind.

Yeah... The Pikmin games... But in my opinion, Pikmin 3 was very disappointing. The timelimit was back and in the main story, the White and Purple Pikmin were missing.
It appeared to me as if Nintendo forgot to make Pikmin 3 all the time and then suddenly remembered it and just threw out what they had so far.

Olimar12345

Wow, yours looks pretty different from mine. ^^' The best advice I can give you regarding the odd time signatures is to find salvation in the ostinato! Also, figuring out the form can help!

DonValentino

Nice! First of all, the composer is Hajime Wakai, not Hayate (reminded me of the character from Dead or Alive Dimensions lol).

Now, instead of writing everything here, I decided to arrange a bit myself. I did all the right hand, well the first chord of measures 7 and 15 is not accurate, but I don't have much time.

Pikmin 2 - Submerged Castle - Korados
(please ignore the title and such info, it's the template I use to arrange)

Well, that's how I'd do it. Maybe Olimar gives you other (probably better) options.

Some comments: You really extended the song more than it actually is! It sounds to me like a weird 4/4... I fit the measures in 4 so you can see the similarities more clearly. The tempo is between 80 and 85. Now it's just a matter of fitting in the left hand. :J

Olimar12345

Quote from: DonValentino on September 05, 2014, 12:09:42 PMthe composer is Hajime Wakai, not Hayate

Kazumi Totaka also worked on the Pikmin 2 soundtrack, so add his name there too.

Also, that 4/4 thing seems to work, but I went another way. I'll let you know how it goes when I finish it up.

DonValentino

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 05, 2014, 12:17:04 PMAlso, that 4/4 thing seems to work, but I went another way. I'll let you know how it goes when I finish it up.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing your result. :J

Korados

Thank you for clearing the time signature! This looks much less messy. I pasted the ostinato through the whole piece so I don't run out and can always hear it when arranging the left hand.

The right hand must be 8va. I transformed the arpeggio into a grace note, this sounds much better. I'm still not sure about the two notes in the left hand which
come before it. I believe it's a E-Bb tritone but I can't catch the pitch right. The main melody is actually easier because it's just a chromatic scale.

Here, I worked it out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6023m41e6irwib/Submerged%20Castle2.mus?dl=0

DonValentino

Quote from: Korados on September 05, 2014, 02:57:11 PMThe right hand must be 8va. I transformed the arpeggio into a grace note, this sounds much better.

I don't agree very much with those two changes, specially the first one; but if you consider them necessary, I won't insist.

Quote from: Korados on September 05, 2014, 02:57:11 PMI'm still not sure about the two notes in the left hand which
come before it. I believe it's a E-Bb tritone but I can't catch the pitch right.

I'm almost sure it's an G#, not a Bb. It seems it's a C augmented chord in second inversion btw.

Quote from: Korados on September 05, 2014, 02:57:11 PMThe main melody is actually easier because it's just a chromatic scale.

Maybe so, but the difficult part of it is fitting it correctly. Listen carefully, the left hand is off tempo. Slowing down the song could help. :J

Korados

Don, the 8va really is necessary, the ostinato is in this octave. And I find that the grace note is clearing it up. Thank you for the G#, you are right.

I arranged it to the end. At the end the main melody gets some kind of downward scale as if the notes fall into the abyss. I interpreted them with 32nds.
The main melody is off-tempo and I put it one beat forward. But it's not good to follow the rhythm exactly because it would make the piece very hard to play.

I really have pitch problems. Could you help me with the pitch in the left hand of m. 12 and 13, please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75kvntx20ym2jbq/Submerged%20Castle3.mus?dl=0

DonValentino

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 06, 2014, 08:18:18 AM

What? Are you the only one who can use it? :/

Quote from: Korados on September 06, 2014, 11:06:15 AMI really have pitch problems. Could you help me with the pitch in the left hand of m. 12 and 13, please?

Here:

Also, in the 32nd group, you wrote a Cb next to a B.