News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

What games surprised you?

Started by McDucky, July 15, 2014, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaoz

Quote from: McDucky on July 29, 2014, 03:56:57 PMFar Cry 1 starts in an open world tropical island type setting like Far Cry 3... but then for some reason it turns into Half Life after a while...

This alien-stuff really killed the game... Dunno... Aliens out of fucking nowhere!

Most disappointing games: Diablo 3, Ragnarok Onlin 2 and last but not least... Ocarina of Time (don't beat me). I played OoT first time a few months ago for 3DS. Never had the original. The game just sucks. The only reason I kept playing was the incredible music.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

mikey

I'm kinda with you because I think it's a good game but I don't think it's anywhere near being the "best Zelda game" like everyone calls it.  That title belongs to Wind Waker >:D
unmotivated

Xaoz

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 17, 2015, 10:38:37 AMI'm kinda with you because I think it's a good game but I don't think it's anywhere near being the "best Zelda game" like everyone calls it.  That title belongs to Wind Waker >:D

I think it was pretty good when it came out... But playing it now for the first time... Meh... Horrible. Winwdaker is awesome! I still have not played all the way through it. I just bought my Wii U(Wind Waker Edition!) last month. Also never played Twilight Princess and Skyward sword, but already bought both of them! And next month Majora's mask! SO MUCH NEW ZELDA FOR ME! The awesomeness is just too much!

mikey

my 5 favorites would probably be
1 wind waker
2 Spirit Tracks
3 Minish Cap
4 Skyward Sword
5 Majora's Mask
But they're all really close D:
unmotivated

Xaoz

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 17, 2015, 11:01:31 AMmy 5 favorites would probably be
1 wind waker
2 Spirit Tracks
3 Minish Cap
4 Skyward Sword
5 Majora's Mask
But they're all really close D:

No link between worlds?! It is such an awesome game...
Link to the past (Never played it, always thought it was like one of the best)?

mikey

All the zelda games are awesome though... It's hard to choose favorites, but if I had to it would be those :P
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

OoT is FAR from a bad game. It is quite excellent, in fact. But definitely not the "best" Zelda game. I also would give that title to Wind Waker(Link to the Past is a close 2nd tho).

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FierceDeity

I think LttP and OoT were the most revolutionary games by far (and still great in their own right), but I wouldn't calleither my favorite.

Though OoT probably is in my top 5:
1. Skyward Sword
2. A Link Between Worlds
3. Majora's Mask
4. Twilight Princess
5. OoT

#1-4 are in a kinda fluid order, it was really difficult to rank them over one another. But SS probably wins out for me just in terms of score and overall feel (I actually love the art style). Link Between Worlds I love because of the aesthetic and gameplay mechanics (agency in items and level order, in particular) that our brought to the 2D Zelda format. MM and TP were particularly close, because they both undoubtedly have my favorite stories of the series. Even though TP was better able to execute it with visuals (also loved its art style; the first time you enter the twilight zone realm, everything just feels so hopeless), I feel that MM won out for its 3-day mechanic, and the sense of sheer urgency and desperation it gives.

I agree with nocturne though, there really isn't a bad Zelda game (except for the unmentionables), and it's very difficult to choose favorites.

mikey

Finally, a video game series that everyone agrees with me about  ;D
Although I might be the only one to like the DS games so much
unmotivated

Pit0010

Spirit tracks was my first zelda game that I finished! :P So my heart still sticks with that great ds game XD
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

Dudeman

I love Spirit Tracks! I do admit it feels more like a spin-off game just because of the whole train thing, but it's a very creative and somewhat relaxing way to traverse the world. Plus the dungeons (including the Tower of Spirits) were awesome.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

It's strange. I used to think LoZ was the best series ever, but now, I doubt more than 2 games would make it into my top ten list.
Here's my ranking of the games I have played more than 70% of.
1. Majora's Mask
2. Link Between Worlds
3. Wind Waker
4. Link's Awakening
5. Oracle of Ages
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Spirit Tracks
8. Link to the Past
9. Oracle of Seasons

Yes, you read that right. I don't like LttP. It may have been revolutionary, but, along with OoT, it is remembered because of nostalgia. It didn't age well.

And, on the subject of Wind Waker, it is a flawed game. It was clearly rushed, and numerous parts just com off weakly. Yet, despite all my gripes with it, I love the Great Sea. The bosses were pretty hit and miss, though. Godan was a literal joke, while Molgera was such a great boss, albeit too easy.

Dudeman

Godan was a literal joke? I don't get it.

But yeah, Wind Waker definitely isn't the best Zelda game ever. The HD remake, on the other hand, could be considered to be the best.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

Quote from: Dudeman on January 17, 2015, 07:10:44 PMGodan was a literal joke? I don't get it.
HEY LOOK. IT'S A BIG RED EYE ON A HAND. I THINK I SHOULD SHOOT IT.
YOU COULDN'T EVEN RUN OUT OF ARROWS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD BECAUSE HE SNORTED THEM OUT HIS NOSE.

Dudeman