News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

What games surprised you?

Started by McDucky, July 15, 2014, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo

There's this one game for the GBA called "Astro Boy: Omega Factor," and holy crap did that game surprise me. I figured that since it was a game based off of an established comic/show franchise, that it'd be typical shovelware, but damn did that game prove me wrong. It wasn't even the gameplay really, but the fact that it had a legitimate, original plot that had twists that I genuinely didn't see coming. It starts off with a fairly generic playthrough of I think 5 or so seemingly random stages filled with one-note, shallow characters, and then once you think you get to the end, it's just plot twist after plot twist, with amazing character development and backstory revelations for pretty much everyone in the cast. Definitely takes the cake for the game that most surprised me, since while I would expect good twists and plot from games like, say, Ace Attorney, this game's plot came out of nowhere for me since it disguised itself as a generic action game made as a cash-in to a cartoon.

And speaking of Ace Attorney, might as well give a specific example:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
Ha, thought I was going to mention the last case, didn't you? Well actually, I'm gonna mention Case 3 instead, and how I was shocked that Regina was actually just a naive and kind-hearted person, instead of that all just being an act.
[close]

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 15, 2014, 02:52:36 PM
Spoiler
Zelda pushing you off the edge of a cliff
[close]
in Skyward Sword.

rofl at the admin edit

It's not really a spoiler. It means almost nothing in regards to the actual story, it's just a silly thing that happens relatively early on in the game, and just leaves you going "hahahahahahahaha what." Yeah, some spoilers can be significant and inconsiderate, but getting mad about one this small is kind of letting the desire for a "pure" experience of the game get in the way of your actual enjoyment of it, imo.

...also the game's been out for about 3 years now, so yeah

McDucky

Yeah, it did sound very much like a spoiler :p 
Like if Zelda murdered Link and you play as a turtle for the rest of the game

Pit0010

OHh! I got a few I can remember

New Super Mario Bros Wii
Spoiler
When you thought Bowser died at the end but he suddenly grew huge for the first time in this series
[close]

Link between Worlds
Spoiler
Ravio was 'Link' in Lorule.
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

fingerz

Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

The ending had me confused to no end the first time I watched it. I was like: "Wait, WHAT?!?" I've never been more mindfucked in my life... O.o
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Pit0010

OMG That game!...i forgot the ending xD It's been that long
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

McDucky

I got Far Cry 1 and 2 during the Steam Sale. 
Far Cry 1 starts in an open world tropical island type setting like Far Cry 3... but then for some reason it turns into Half Life after a while...

Echo

I forgot how much Pokemon Black 2/White 2 shocked me with the Zoroark stuff.
Spoiler
It was surprising enough when that Backpacker in Lostlorn Forest from BW turned out to be a Zoroark, and showed that Zoroark can speak human language, but then they go on to reveal that N was a Zoroark all along too! That messed with me for a while, even though it explained why only N could talk with Pokemon.
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Echo on August 01, 2014, 10:47:49 AMI forgot how much Pokemon Black 2/White 2 shocked me with the Zoroark stuff.
Spoiler
It was surprising enough when that Backpacker in Lostlorn Forest from BW turned out to be a Zoroark, and showed that Zoroark can speak human language, but then they go on to reveal that N was a Zoroark all along too! That messed with me for a while, even though it explained why only N could talk with Pokemon.
[close]

Uh I'm sorry but that's not accurate. The Zoroark that leads you to N's Castle belongs to N, it's not N himself. Lol he uses Zoroark in the first games and you get one of its offspring in the story of B2W2.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Echo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 01, 2014, 11:03:15 AMUh I'm sorry but that's not accurate. The Zoroark that leads you to N's Castle belongs to N, it's not N himself. Lol he uses Zoroark in the first games and you get one of its offspring in the story of B2W2.

Spoiler
He subtly mentions it when you get Zekrom/Reshiram, and it's also shown when you do the Memory Link in the Team Plasma house.

For the Zekrom/Reshiram scene:
"And Zekrom/Reshiram...thanks for everything. My journey with you has been truly wonderful! From now on, I want you to use your power to help this Trainer realize his/her dreams."
"I know. I'll miss you, too... But your task is to help humans who seek ideals/truth. I learned so much from you. I'll do my best to tell everyone else what I learned on my own."
"'I'll be OK! I can talk to Pokémon!"
"I'll become the bridge between Pokémon and Humans! That's my ideal/truth!"

He tells Zekrom/Reshiram to go with Nate/Rosa because it should be with a "human who seeks ideals/truth." Immediately after he says that he's still seeking an ideal/truth, so guess which part of that statement doesn't fit N's description?

As for the Memory Link thing, every one of them shows a character narrating a story about themselves in their own perspective. In the ex-Plasma House, there's a Memory Link with a Zoroark, but then the actual story shows that it's a tale from N's point of view. Logically, it's reasonable that that Zoroark in the house was N himself, seeing as every other Memory Link story was the narrator talking about a personal story.

There are other minor tidbits mentioned too that hint at it too, but those are the biggest signs that I can recall.
[close]

SlowPokemon

Echo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 01, 2014, 11:14:52 AMYeah....N isn't a Zoroark lol

spoilers, and if you could actually disprove what's shown in-game, then maybe I could see your point of view lol

Waddle Bro

N being a Zoroark is a far-fetched theory. I don't want to argue about this, but I recall Bulbagarden having a discussion about this topic. Go read and argue there rather than here.

There is no absolute evidence on N being a Zoroark, so it's just a theory for people who want to accept it as the truth.
If you want me to start arguing about the validation of the Memory Link flashbacks of being evidence, just shoot me up with a PM and I'll reply when I bother.

I anime differs from the actual games, but in the anime N is hit by a Shadow Ball by a Frillish. Logically, the Illusion should fade away if N was a Zoroark. That's enough substantial evidence for me.

McDucky

Hatoful Boyfriend... 
Holy shit that ending

SlowPokemon

Quote from: McDucky on January 17, 2015, 10:12:26 AMHatoful Boyfriend... 
Holy shit that ending

THIS THIS THIS THIS FUCK

I JUST PLAYED IT A COUPLE MONTHS AGO ON A FRIENDS RECOMMENDATION AND HOLY SHIT THAT LAST ENDING????