[Wii]The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-"Midna's Lament (Twilight Symphony)"

Started by Jet Blankett, June 18, 2014, 12:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jet Blankett

While I'm sure there's the original somewhere on here, would someone mind putting this version into piano sheet music? I thought the original couldn't get better, til I heard this! Gorgeous...
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

Maelstrom

I'm not sure about this one. It's an official remix: Nintendo oversaw the Twilight Symphony project, but this is not the version played in the game. But it is better. If nintendo ever remakes TP, they need to use this soundtrack. Especially for hyrule field.

Jet Blankett

right. Since it is an official remix, I figure it counts. In any case, official or not, I still love this version, and would be very gracious to whoever fulfills this request. And I totally agree, the Hyrule Field and Ganondorf Battle themes have been remixed exceptionally.

FierceDeity

Official or not, this piece didn't appear in a game :/ I'm pretty sure the general rule of thumb is, the requests board is solely for whatever version of a piece appeared in the game itself. Not 100% sure on that, but I feel like we've moved requests from here to the Music board before for similar cases.

Maelstrom

What if it was very similar, unlike this piece. Meaning, if I did Dark Lord Ganondorf, could I use the Twilight Symphony version for the notes because it's so much easier to hear the notes?

Bubbles

Fierce is right, I wouldn't consider this to technically be a game request. However, that certainly doesn't mean you can't arrange it! Honestly I wouldn't mind playing this one myself if it gets decently arranged

Actually, now that I think about it, what about the 25th Zelda Anniversary CD? iirc those songs were not played in Skyward Sword, but they came with the game when bought. This song falls under that category and is currently in the requests board. I need other's opinions on this

FierceDeity

Ninja'd, I was literally just about to ask you for clarification on this, bubbles haha

I mean, my understanding was that requests in this board could only be for pieces that could potentially appear on site (i.e. completely accurate to the original that appeared in a game), but come to think of it, I see no harm in keeping them here where they'll actually be seen (pretty sure no request that's been moved to the Music board has ever actually been done, haha). It's not like these requests clutter the board or anything. I'd suggest adding a new tag (i.e. [GBA], [GBC], etc.) to indicate that a piece didn't appear in a game, as I'm sure a lot of arrangers fulfill requests with at least a partial goal of getting the arrangement uploaded to the main site.

Bubbles

The only problem I have with that is that things would get messy fast. Everything is already pretty cluttered right now (43 pages? jesus) and adding a new category would just encourage more requests that most likely won't be fulfilled. Getting a requests fulfilled that will not end up on the site is tricky, because not only does the arranger have to enjoy the song (especially these 4+ min ones), but they'd have to be ok with it probably never being seen outside the forums.

Maybe if things clear up sooner or later we could add that, but I really don't think now is a good time. Personally, I would allow the 25th anniversary songs to be here, since I could see those sometime being on the site. This request is a remix of an official game's song and not one for the request board.

Jet Blankett

I agree that having a new category would just clutter things up more. However, since Nintendo oversaw the 25th Anniversary CD as well as this project, and there have been requests made (and fulfilled) from that CD even though it was not featured in-game (more like an arrangement of songs from the game), I don't see the difference between that and this. Maelstrom, since I requested Dark Lord Ganondorf, I have no problem with you doing the Twilight Symphony version of it, as I agree, everything is much easier to hear, and it's pretty close to the actual piece anyway.

I actually agree with you both, Bubbles and Fierce...in aspects. While I agree in part that technically this is not a game request, it is technically still a song from a game that went over a little Nintendo-overseen remix, and since the other one is on here already (I'm pretty sure), I don't see why a remix of a song already on-site here wouldn't count. The 25th Anniversary CD tracks are (essentially) one and the same thing as the Twilight Symphony tracks, are they not? Both are not featured in the games, both are remixes of songs featured in the games, both were overseen by Nintendo, and both are awesome.

Now, when I make a request for a game-related song/piece, it is because I would love to play the song/piece on the piano, and this is no exception. I don't really think about requests in terms of "will it ever appear on the site" (probably the reason we're having this discussion), I just listen to a lot of video game music (and an occasional remix) and if I hear a song that blows my mind and that I really would love to play (such as this one), I'll try and request it.

That being said, if the consensus is that it should be moved to the Music board, then I will certainly move it there. However, as Fierce pointed out, "pretty sure no request that's been moved to the Music board has ever actually been done.", and this is one I would really like to see fulfilled, if possible. I can certainly see both sides of the story.

Bubbles

The way I see it, this is a remix and the 25th CD has medleys. I'm not sure if medleys can be submitted or not, but I do know that remixes cannot.

Quote from: Jet Blankett on June 19, 2014, 09:21:21 AMNow, when I make a request for a game-related song/piece, it is because I would love to play the song/piece on the piano, and this is no exception. I don't really think about requests in terms of "will it ever appear on the site" (probably the reason we're having this discussion), I just listen to a lot of video game music (and an occasional remix) and if I hear a song that blows my mind and that I really would love to play (such as this one), I'll try and request it.
When I said that this arrangement if arranged will not appear on the site, I was referring to the problems for the eventual arranger and not the person who requested it. There would be less motivation if it will not be public. Requests that are moved to the music board are not uncompleted because they're in that board, but because they're usually not as popular as other video game music.

Basically the request board is for arrangements that have the potential to end up on the site. I don't decide what types of arrangements goes on the site, but as far as I know remixes are not one of them.

FierceDeity

Quote from: Bubbles on June 19, 2014, 11:37:32 AMRequests that are moved to the music board are not uncompleted because they're in that board, but because they're usually not as popular as other video game music.

I mean, I think it's at least partially because they're in that board. A lot less people check that board, and of those who do, very few check it looking for a request to fulfill. Hell, the only threads I ever see in the Music board are usually ones I'm already notified of replies for.

I also don't think that songs from the 25th anniversary CD could be put on site. Not only would it be absurdly harder for updaters to evaluate (so much longer than any other arrangements on site, and so many more voices to consider), but it's also hard to say where we'd even put them. The pieces didn't actually "appear" in any games, have a significant amount of content added in that wasn't in those games, and multiple pieces (fairy fountain, 25th anniversary medley, main theme medley) definitely can't be said to have come from a single game. Maybe the fairy fountain and main theme medley we'd just put under the first games that they appeared for, but the 25th anniversary medley definitely wouldn't work for that. Maybe we could just put them under "25th anniversary CD" but then it definitely couldn't be considered game music. Idk, I just don't see it working out.

If the problem with including them in the requests board, then, would be additional clutter, perhaps we could make another child board like Finished Requests (something like "Unorthodox Requests" or something?) to put them into. At least then, people would know where to look for them, rather than scouring the Music board for the extremely small amount that are moved there.

As for a way of sharing them with the public, perhaps we could make a section of the forum for such pieces, and advertise it on the main site with the disclaimer that they're not put through the ordinary submissions process? Idk, I just think that people should be able to efficiently request/complete these arrangements with at least some promise of recognition, without interfering with our site's preset standards.

Olimar12345

Quote from: the last 4 or 5 postsmostly tl;dr

Let me help you guys out:

Use this board for site-related requests. If you want to request something non-video game related, or anything that wouldn't be hosted on the site, request it in the music board. We do not host remixes at this time.

I agree that a childboard for off-topic requests would be nice for organization purposes, but it would most likely just multiply the number of requests we would see. Not to mention that our VG requests are already as neglected as they are.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jet Blankett

Ok, I think that cleared things up, thanks! Is there a way to move this topic to the music board, or should I just remove this topic and re-post it in the music board?

Jet Blankett