Guide to Making Replacement Arrangements

Started by Olimar12345, May 04, 2014, 01:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Alright, in this guide I'm going to try to tackle several things about making a proper replacement arrangement, and address the sensitive topic of who to credit in a replacement arrangement.

Firstly, what is a replacement arrangement?
Replacement Arrangement - Noun
Pronunciation: [ri-PLEYS-muhnt] [uh-REYNJ-muhnt]
Definition: an arrangement meant to replace an existing arrangement.

Okay, so I think we all get that part. But why replace an arrangement already on the site? Don't we have updaters who check for quality before they upload the files? Currently, yes. Have we always, though? No. Some older files on our site date back to the time before we had a set standard for how they should look, or the accuracy of the music.

There are two main reasons to replace an existing file on the site:

1) The hosted file is not in compliance with our current set of standards. This includes presentation details like formatting, as well as correctness - note accuracy, enharmonic spellings, etc.

2) Someone has submitted a better version of an arrangement than the hosted file. For instance - an arrangement that better captures the feel of the source material and is more natural to play.

So lets say that you make the decision to replace an already-hosted arrangement. Who do you give the arrangement credit to? Based on you're approach to creating the replacement arrangement, the following three scenarios should clearly explain who to put in the "Arrangement by _______" spot of the file.

The Three Types of Replacement Arrangements

1) A Revised Arrangement
In this method, you have taken the hosted arrangement and cleaned it up. You've updated the formatting to comply with the current standards, and fixed any mistakes such as incorrect notes or the wrong key signature.

Who gets the credit? The original arranger.
Why? The logic behind it is that you didn't make any important musical or presentation decisions, you've just cleaned up a messy file. Thanks! :D

2) A Revisited Arrangement
In this method, you have taken the hosted arrangement, cleaned it up, and did a bit more. Say you rearranged that whole bridge section, fixed some rhythms, or wrote out a new bass line for that left hand part. Now the arrangement looks nicer AND is more accurate to the original! In short, you've made it easier to read AND added to the arrangement musically.

2022 addendum: Please note that in order to submit a replacement of this type, you must have the consent of the original arranger.

Who gets the credit? The original arranger, but underneath that you should add an "Edited by ______" section.
Why? Since you have edited the music itself, it should be known. Though, you still did not arrange the tune, so you are technically not the "arranger." If you are not sure where you fall between the revised and revisited arrangements, ask an updater.

3) A Challenge Arrangement
In this method, you have decided to start from scratch. You have created a new file and transcribed/arranged everything without any relation to the hosted file. Basically, you are challenging the current file for the hosting privileges, based on the idea that your arrangement has more to offer.

Who gets the credit? You do.
Why? If you arranged it, it's yours, so put your name on it.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. If you have any questions about the above material, or had a question about something that I didn't cover, feel free to ask the updaters.

:J
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

Hey arrangers!

Effective now, any edits to existing sheets on site beyond basic formatting and correctness require permission from the original arranger. The staff arrived at this decision as the result of discussion over concerns with editing and hosting work under someone else's name without their consent.

That said, there is somewhat of a hazy distinction to make between what is an objective correction and a subjective improvement - for instance, the inclusion of staccatos. Any question of what edits are okay to make without the original arranger's permission will be left to the discretion of the updating team.

This requirement will not apply retroactively to any sheets edited in the past, but will be the case moving forward. If you find yourself questioning the musical decisions for a sheet whose arranger is no longer around, you are encouraged to make a full replacement yourself.

I've updated the original post above to highlight this (as well as clarify a couple of other points / update outdated info). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our updating staff!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle