News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Sheet Music Errors Thread

Started by KefkaticFanatic, March 16, 2014, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Ah, that would be my doing. Glad you like the new look!

Most songs are composed with a Hypermeter, typically 2 or 4 measures long. It's common for this to be reflected in the number of measures in a system. When one decides to format a sheet without considering the Hypermeter, it becomes necessary to use odd combinations of measure distributions in order to maintain a clean layout. In the case of this sheet, using 3 measures per system was passable, but in order to keep 2 pages total, you had to use 4 measure systems occasionally in spots filled with 16th note runs, resulting in, at those places, an unclean layout due to excessive horizontal clutter.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Hypermeter really doesn't matter that much nowadays though. It really irks me when I see situations like this because that's two whole pages of paper that could have been saved and it's much more convenient to have only two pages up rather than balancing four. Sure four measures per system gives you much more space to work with, but it never  needs to be a strict "must be only four measure per system always."
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Tobbeh99

Concerning hypermeter, when you have a song with 2 or 4 measures hypermeter, but making them into 2 or 4 measures/system both doesn't look that pleasing, 4 too cluttery and 2 makes it on too many pages I have a smart trick. Making the measures/system into 3-3-2. Most songs have phrases that span 4 measures, and are often repeated making it 8 measures, and this split is excellent for those songs. It could work well for this song as well, I believe.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

Well what I was saying was that I don't believe one should go so far out of their way to preserve a hypermeter that it yields negative results, such as doubling the amount of pages needed.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

I'd say literally saving paper beats out preserving hypermeter tbpfh

Bespinben

That really wasn't my point at all though. I fully acknowledge that using 3 or 5 per system can, and sometimes should, happen. IN CONTEXT OF DRY DRY RUINS, however, doing so yielded negative results. It's got nothing to do with page count or some archaic "rule". What I explained was simply a weighing of pros and cons of two different layouts, and why the final draft became what it was.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Dudeman

...but what's wrong with two pages?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 07, 2016, 02:51:34 PMIn the case of this sheet, using 3 measures per system was passable, but in order to keep 2 pages total, you had to use 4 measure systems occasionally in spots filled with 16th note runs, resulting in, at those places, an unclean layout due to excessive horizontal clutter.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

AwesomeYears

I was playing my Peaceful Night at Town on my electrical piano using Synthesia and the mid. file and after the repeat, for some reason, it was saying that I didn't hit the note on time even though I "did". Turns out that the swing carries over from the repeat so the rest of the song was in swing! Can you fix this up? Oh yeah, and on the sheet, the swing notation (crochet equals to crochet + quaver in triplets) seems to have not been compatible with my PDF exporting software so if you could fix that too, that would be exquisite.

Latios212

oops

Swing playback should be fixed now. Not sure what to say about the PDF, I regenerated it, it appears fine on my screen. Hope it looks fine on your side?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AwesomeYears

Cool! It's both been fixed! Thanks.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

So, according to the Splatoon Wiki, my sheet "DJ Octavio Phase 4 (Squid Sisters)" should actually be titled "Calamari Inkantation". So, I've changed the title, as well as adding some extra voices to m.17-28 I had missed the first time:
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]
(There's also a .musx file that needs to be replaced, but I need someone else to do it for me)

Static

I can't believe I just noticed this now, but I realized I put down the wrong key for Dry Dry Desert in Mario Kart 8;
on-site it's in Ab minor, but after listening to the original track again, it seems to be in C# minor. All of the notes themselves are the correct pitch, it's just that they were labelled incorrectly.

I'm incredibly sorry I didn't catch this during the submission process, especially since it's one of my own arrangements, but I just wanted to let you guys know. Thank you!

Also, this isn't exactly too of a deal if you guys want to leave it as is, because the notes themselves are all correct and the sheet looks readable either way (same amount of accidentals, just sharps instead of naturals in places). I just wanted to point this out for accuracy.

On-Site: [.PDF] [.MUS] [.MID]
Fixed: [.PDF] [.MUS] [.MID]
Original: [Video][/url]

Olimar12345

I was taking a peak at some of the newly accepted arrangements and found some things that raised my eyebrows:

Frantic Factory
-mm. 7 RH wrong notes on all up-beats.

Gloomy Galleon
-mm. 27 wrong note: B natural on beat four should be a C (Above).
-mm. 41 & 42 should be written in the key of Cb and not B natural. The section before it leads up to a big V (Gb) to an obvious I in Cb.
-mm. 49-56 is oddly written without articulations, even though there are other clearly notated spots elswere when it comes to that.

Banana Fairy Island
-mm. 10-13 have inaccurate note lengths for the first layer melody (should have used shorter note values-there is obvious space between notes in that section).

Cranky's Lab
-mm. 9-16 RH is an obvious copy/paste +8va, even though the original changes articulation and note lengths there.
-mm. 17-20 LH is unnecessarily written in the wrong octave.

I am afraid to go on.