News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

dajwxp - I Burned The Giratina. (240916: POKEMON SUN/MOON! :D)

Started by daj, December 11, 2013, 06:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daj

Jompa

I didn't say this before, but despite errors in formating, that's a great arrangement. When you arrange, you really arrange for the piano, which of course in the end is the entire point, but way too many don't realize this. The arrangement's got balance, and it requires skill to write such an arrangement! So good job!

A note for something you could've done better though; you should've encouraged a more swing feel to the piece, after the song hits the double-time-mark. The song does get into swing after all.
When you performed it you weren't playing swing at all, you sticked to the way you notated, but that gives off an entirely different feel. If someone else is gonna play the arrangement as it is now, they'd do the same, and that's honestly not how the song goes.
Yes, it i very bouncy and light swing, but there is always something called too much.
On the arrangement this could be fixed by simply writing "swing" together with the "double speed" mark. That's enough really. It won't do anything special to the arrangement, it's just so whoever's gonna perform it knows that it's swing instead of "dotted eight + sixteenth".
Personally I'd assign "double-time - swing eights", and then go format all the "dotted eights + sixteenths" into just movements of eights and tuplet eights, but that a bit more timeconcuming, and there isn't that much wrong with having "dotted eights + sixteenths" as long as it's stated that it's swing - if it's not stated, it is most often interpreted as "not-swing", and this piece is swing alright, so that wouldn't be the best.
Where you are using "4 sixteenths in one tie"-runs you should go over and make it tuplet eights instead (even if you aren't changing the "dotted eights + sixteenths"-stuff) - for some reason, you are actually playing those segments as tuplets throughout the entire video, which is totally different from what it says on the arrangement.
Birdo for Smash

daj

Quote from: Jompa on January 07, 2014, 07:58:40 AMI didn't say this before, but despite errors in formating, that's a great arrangement. When you arrange, you really arrange for the piano, which of course in the end is the entire point, but way too many don't realize this. The arrangement's got balance, and it requires skill to write such an arrangement! So good job!

I kinda tried my best to minimise format errors on this one - I know there's one missing minim-beat somewhere and one clash at the end after actually playing the thing out, but yeah, if there are other formatting errors, could you point them out for me ^^? Thanks~

But thank you so much for the encouragement <3. And it's true - I put a lot of focus on balance rather than accuracy, but I guess there's space for both, eh :)? It's going to take me a long way though; thank you so much for it.

QuoteA note for something you could've done better though; you should've encouraged a more swing feel to the piece, after the song hits the double-time-mark. The song does get into swing after all.
When you performed it you weren't playing swing at all, you sticked to the way you notated, but that gives off an entirely different feel. If someone else is gonna play the arrangement as it is now, they'd do the same, and that's honestly not how the song goes.

"Swing" was one word that never came into my mind, actually. I was thinking "dotted rhythms in the atmosphere", because well, the original song doesn't really shout "i'm swing!" to me. I think it's because of the unplayable triplet counter-melodies in the top, and the fact that they actually used triplet rhythm instead of dotted rhythm. Either that, or I'm not sharp enough - I think that's probably the case xD.

But when I got down to recording, playing it right was already tough enough, playing it in time (because hey, four hands) was insanely tough, so I wasn't really bothered with the underlying rhythms too much. I could just say that I am too noob or something, but hey, be proactive ;D! I'll definitely watch out for that in future recordings (and there will be some; I invested in a mic sooo)!

QuoteYes, it i very bouncy and light swing, but there is always something called too much.
On the arrangement this could be fixed by simply writing "swing" together with the "double speed" mark. That's enough really. It won't do anything special to the arrangement, it's just so whoever's gonna perform it knows that it's swing instead of "dotted eight + sixteenth".
Personally I'd assign "double-time - swing eights", and then go format all the "dotted eights + sixteenths" into just movements of eights and tuplet eights, but that a bit more timeconcuming, and there isn't that much wrong with having "dotted eights + sixteenths" as long as it's stated that it's swing - if it's not stated, it is most often interpreted as "not-swing", and this piece is swing alright, so that wouldn't be the best.
Where you are using "4 sixteenths in one tie"-runs you should go over and make it tuplet eights instead (even if you aren't changing the "dotted eights + sixteenths"-stuff) - for some reason, you are actually playing those segments as tuplets throughout the entire video, which is totally different from what it says on the arrangement.

Yup, I think you're right about the swing. Once again, the high counter-melodies confused me a lot when transcribing (because I didn't really refer to the source track too much), and the rhythms were interlocking so much that I was like, "bleh". But yes, there is swing, and I should totally have seen that. And yeah, writing that down would definitely help; maybe when I submit this I'll change that~

Also, yeah, I see your point on the tuplet eights, but they would be unplayable, or at least, very hard to play accurately at that speed. I mean...it's 186 BPM (not 200, but hey). Which is really fast.

~

In seriousness, to round up everything, your encouragement is appreciated just as much as your criticism is. I really really appreciate the fact that you're taking time off your precious life to listen to my stuff <3. I promise to return the favour in some way, but for now, I just wanna extend the greatest thank you that I can possibly extend to you. Thanks so much, man!~

Jompa

Quote from: dajwxp on January 07, 2014, 08:52:14 AMI think it's because of the unplayable triplet counter-melodies in the top, and the fact that they actually used triplet rhythm instead of dotted rhythm. Either that, or I'm not sharp enough - I think that's probably the case xD.
--------------
Yup, I think you're right about the swing. Once again, the high counter-melodies confused me a lot when transcribing (because I didn't really refer to the source track too much), and the rhythms were interlocking so much that I was like, "bleh". But yes, there is swing, and I should totally have seen that. And yeah, writing that down would definitely help; maybe when I submit this I'll change that~
--------
Also, yeah, I see your point on the tuplet eights, but they would be unplayable, or at least, very hard to play accurately at that speed. I mean...it's 186 BPM (not 200, but hey). Which is really fast.
No, most of what you're saying now is in the wrong mindset..

First --> tuplet eights is a slower rythm than sixteenths, so why you're saying tuplets would be harder, I don't get. from those 16th note runs you'll basically have to cut out a note, because playing four sixteenth notes is faster than how it actually is - as I said, you even play it as tuplets in your recording (which is more correct).

This song is most definitely swing after that double time mark, there isn't even a question about that. And that needs to be stated on the sheet, or else almost the entire arrangement is rhythmically wrong.

Do you know what swing is? It means that the underlying stream of eights is three per beat instead of two per beat - in other words, the underlying stream is tuplet eights in 4/4.
which means that non-tupleted eights in swing would be played as the first and the third of those underlying tuplets, resulting in having long-short-long-short rhythms instead of normal straight eights.
Normally there is no underlying stream of sixteenths when there is swing eights. In this song, the underlying stream is tuplet eights all the way.
Which practically means that there shouldn't be a single sixteenth note on your entire sheet! BUT it isn't totally illegal to use the "dotted eight + sixteenth"-figure as long as it's stated that that specific figure is to be played in swing - which would save you time, as that figure is all over the place.
Birdo for Smash

daj

OHHHHH. Now it clicks. I was wondering why swing didn't refer to the long-short thing that I was internalising. Yeah, grammar differences because we're from different ends of the earth :p. Eep :p.

That being said, I think I'll go fix the entire sheet. It's not hard, really xD, just change everything to quavers and mention that it's a swing~

daj

Alright, let's try this thing again.

Hey everyone! :) I kinda disappeared for two years because of this fantastic piece-of-crud thing we call "school", and that "school" thing pretty much took away all of my time. (IB is a pain oh my gosh, please don't sell yourself to it if you can.)

But that being said, the two years of "school" also threw upon me the most intense two-year music course ever, which somehow led me to connecting with real musicians in the outside world, working with demanding non-musicians in the upper ranks of my "school" to produce music for them, and teaching my friends how to compose and arrange because "school" required it and didn't teach it too well at the same time. All while getting a bunch of performance diplomas and live band performance experiences. Welp.

Um, yeah. Lots of things have changed over the two years, aaaand looking at my old posts (and the old OP, really) makes me want to shoot myself. The way I write stuff has changed, and I like this new style. hehe. But the mentality I brought into the art - urgh.

I came in with the wrong mindset two years ago. I went into "school" with that mindset, churned out work after work just to get the composition component of our Music grade over and done with, and my composition teacher must have rejected at least ten original works before I realised that he could probably tell that I was winging each work. While he wasn't too good at teaching our class how to write, he was pretty dang good at telling crap from substance. So I gave him substance - details, creativity and Nazi-formatting included. The time taken for the average project must have increased at least twenty times. And then, somehow, I started getting called on for a bunch of big projects afterwards. At the end of my "school" journey I heard an arrangement of mine played by a full (student) orchestra. Each experience has been really humbling, and each experience made me think back of the time when I winged my works just because - each thought of that warranted instant embarassment.

Yeah, I've abused whatever abilities I had to wing out fast works in the past. And now that I've gotten a taste of life in the professional artistic world, I've come to realise how much of an insult to the composition arts that was. Pulling off fast works only proves my ability to pull off fast works - it's like writing popular songs for money (also a debateable topic, though). It doesn't seek to immerse the listener in the awesome feeling that music has the power to create. And the power is created in the tiny details, so basically, my old transcriptions - the fastest works I ever pulled off, actually - had none of that awesomeness.

I'd be lying if I said that I came back because I wanted to change the past though. Nah, changing the past isn't cool. Plus, anyone who has read The Great Gatsby knows that doing so is stupid.

I kinda just want to do transcriptions and arrangements. It's for this same reason that I came two years back. Chances are I'll be doing mostly Pokemon stuff, with extra focus on the 4th Generation - hey, jazz is fun. The Pokemon experience never leaves you, I guess. The only change is that I intend to do a much better job this time.

I'm here to arrange Pokemon, buuut I'm really open to requests! :) Definitely will go try out the request board and shoot myself a bunch of challenges. And if performing is a thing here, I can contribute some videos too :)

But for the transcriptions/arrangements, I've kinda made an internal promise to ensure quality. Churning out lots of works isn't fun anymore - now I want to get down to the tiny things in each work. Melodies will be as perfect as possible. No harmonies will be compromised. If there is no need to innovate then I'll steal all the rhythmic ostinatos the composer used. And if possible, no counter-melody will be lost. It's time to do the original composers some justice. :)

So, yeah. Hey, everyone~ :)

TL;DR:
I'm back! More Pokemon. More quality because I got sad after looking at my old transcriptions. Up for requests, can perform for hugs. You guys are all awesome!~

---

On a side note, I'm currently working on the Route 216/217 in Pokemon DPPt for two pianos - exacty what I was working on before I left. It will be awesome. Promised ;).

(updated op with this block of text too~)

cashwarrior1

Hey, you did the thing! Well, I would request you to make a one piano duet of route 216, but I don't really think you'd want to do that.

My request is (gotta make sure I don't do any mystery dungeon, that's for the bespinbens.): Abyssal Ruins from Black/White 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUa9WTE6FBM

Latios212

Quote from: dajwxp on May 29, 2016, 06:31:06 PMI'll be doing mostly Pokemon stuff, with extra focus on the 4th Generation - hey, jazz is fun. The Pokemon experience never leaves you, I guess.

HEEEY THERE NEW BEST FRIEND
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

b-but

:'(

also welcome back to the man whose name can never be abbreviated
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

braix

Quote from: dajwxp on May 29, 2016, 06:31:06 PMOn a side note, I'm currently working on the Route 216/217 in Pokemon DPPt for two pianos - exacty what I was working on before I left. It will be awesome. Promised ;).
daj, I think I love you
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

daj

Quote from: Latios212 on May 29, 2016, 08:22:13 PMHEEEY THERE NEW BEST FRIEND

Hey! A Latios with great taste in music! I dig. :D
(haha much cheers man, sup!)

Quote from: Dudeman on May 29, 2016, 08:41:14 PMb-but

:'(

also welcome back to the man whose name can never be abbreviated

Quote from: braixen1264 on May 29, 2016, 11:03:43 PMdaj, I think I love you

Stole a friend today! Another step closer to world domination, aww yeah.

'Bout the name though, I'm not too sure what was going through my mind when I thought of it three years back. Can't even pronounce it. "Daj" is cool though; I think I might just change my name to "daj" if the opportunity ever rises. Hmm. :p

Haha love you both, thanks for the hugs <3

~
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on May 29, 2016, 07:52:47 PMHey, you did the thing! Well, I would request you to make a one piano duet of route 216, but I don't really think you'd want to do that.

My request is (gotta make sure I don't do any mystery dungeon, that's for the bespinbens.): Abyssal Ruins from Black/White 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUa9WTE6FBM

HOLY SHITE WHAT IS THAT BEAUTIFUL STUFF
I'm on! Downloaded and will be listening through the week. Thanks for the request, haha! Never knew the Abyssal Ruins soundtrack was so amazing - probably was too scared that the place would crumble.

As for the one piano duet idea, I might give it a shot! Shouldn't be too hard to pull it off
Hmm, the one piano duet idea might require me to work the score up from scratch...oh well. I'll do it for you. Because you're awesome B)

~

Much love, all!~

~
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGBv5fPM_It/
edit: did some work today! if you'd like a sneak peek at the route 216 here it is:

cashwarrior1

Yay, thank you! I tried to do the abyssal ruins but some of the counting threw me off.

mikey

Hey the Jew XP
I actually was thinking about you a couple months ago
unmotivated

Latios212

Curious, do you have any other D/P/Pt arrangements planned/in progress? It's one of my favorite (if not my favorite) soundtracks and I love it to death :3 I have a few that I'm working on too.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

daj

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 30, 2016, 05:56:41 PMHey the Jew XP
I actually was thinking about you a couple months ago

Ohohohoho. Maybe I was thinking about you too.
(not really. But still, heyyo and much cheers!~)

Quote from: Latios212 on May 30, 2016, 09:39:09 PMCurious, do you have any other D/P/Pt arrangements planned/in progress? It's one of my favorite (if not my favorite) soundtracks and I love it to death :3 I have a few that I'm working on too.

Mm, as of now, no. I do random covers by ear for fun aaand I keep ending up on Eterna and Canalave (Hearthome and Veilstone are awesome too!) though! So I might end up doing proper arrangements for those for fun. You know, they already exist on the site, so yeah. Hehe.

That being said, I understand there are some tracks that the site doesn't have. Maybe I'll give those a shot at some point!

maybe we could go finish the whole collection. hehe.