Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

The original Peanuts comics weren't funny at all. Calvin & Hobbes is so much better.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dudeman

I don't think "funny" is necessarily what Peanuts was always going for. I love Calvin & Hobbes too, but I don't think it's easy to compare the two. They cover different subjects and look at things from different points of view.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dudeman on August 24, 2017, 05:20:19 PMI don't think "funny" is necessarily what Peanuts was always going for. I love Calvin & Hobbes too, but I don't think it's easy to compare the two. They cover different subjects and look at things from different points of view.

Very true, now that I look at it that way.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

SlowPokemon

I love Peanuts. Mostly because the punch line is always an anti joke.

The very first Peanuts comic is Charlie Brown walking past a few girls, who say something to the effect of "there goes Charlie Brown..." "Yes, good old Charlie Brown..." "How I hate him!"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

LeviR.star

Shermy and Patty. They didn't make many appearances in later strips.

mikey

If we're straight up talking about Charlie Brown my grandpa knew him personally
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 24, 2017, 08:06:14 PMIf we're straight up talking about Charlie Brown my grandpa knew him personally

You mean Charles Schultz?

mikey

That's who Charlie Brown is

All the characters in his strip are based off people he knew
unmotivated

LeviR.star

I actually don't like Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, and here's why:

- the main leitmotif is way too repetitive; it makes the composer look lazy rather than clever
- the game itself has almost no relation to its "predecessor". They might as well have called something else
- the only new Power-up, the Carrot, is lame. Somewhat helpful, but lame; no wonder it never reappeared
- the level difficulty is overly tame until the final level, where there is a huge difficulty spike
- the developers spent too much time focusing on the map elements and graphics that they forgot to make the game long enough
- the game's enemy name localization is pathetic
- the game is trying way too hard to be Super Mario World, and it fails miserably
- the game is a lone wolf. It seemingly started out as a Super Mario World sequel, got slapped with a "Super Mario Land 2" label, and then its own so-called "sequel" started its own spinoff series
- the game is probably the reason why Nintendo was scared to make another 2D-Sidescroller Mario game for 13 1/2 years

mastersuperfan

You make it sound like you're more focused on trashing the people who made the game than critiquing the actual game itself.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

SlowPokemon

Loved that game, and idk how you could call Kazumi Totaka lazy in any sense of the word! Just look at what that man has done! He's the direct inspiration for K.K. Slider, the composer and voice for Animal Crossing, and the voice of Yoshi, to name a few things.

Also would you rather NSMB style where the exact same version of the main theme plays in every level? lol I prefer the multiple arrangements, personally. It's hard to get people to notice and recognize a tune as a main theme unless there's a lot of repetition, either way.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

LeviR.star

I didn't mean lazy in general, I meant lazy in this game's sense. I counted, and I can report that out of the 29 tracks in the soundtrack, the leitmotif plays 12 times. New Super Mario Bros. is nowhere near close.

Oh, and something was interesting; even with how many times it played elsewhere, I did some skimming through the Staff Roll theme and found the leitmotif nowhere.

This probably just wasn't Totaka's best game. He's great everywhere else, though.

Static

I don't think using the same motif countless times is necessarily a bad thing. SML2 did it pretty well imo. Super Mario World did the same thing with all of its level themes as well, and it works just as well as in SML2. Each of the songs in both SML2 and SMW sound unique enough to the point where rearranging the motif works in each soundtracks favor rather than making it worse.

mikey

I think using motifs is a good thing
I mean look at the PMD series

second dark matter battle is just a tree of life/partner's theme remix and it's awesome
unmotivated