News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

Quote from: FierceDeity on October 12, 2014, 04:32:34 PM^^most likely scenario

While maybe he was a bit harsh, it seems silly to criticize somebody for their lack of understanding on something, when that "something" is another person's lack of understanding. I also can't understand why people find certain things so difficult. High school math is literally just memorization of formulas. I accept that people can be bad at it, to the extent that I can accept anything I don't understand. And I do try to be politically correct when talking about it, because what would offending anybody do to augment their ability at math? But this is basically my thinking on the subject (albeit much more researched and coherent). (This SMBC comic articulates it a lot more briefly/humorously, if you're like 99.999% of the world and don't want to read random links I post for the sake of argument.) We tend to accept that if we don't understand something right away, then we must be naturally bad at it, and feel less compelled to try to improve. When I see people do badly at math, I imagine this mindset, and while perhaps this isn't accurate, to me it justifies the "dumbfoundedness" just as much as the idea of "being bad at math" could ever justify actually doing poorly in math.

And the funny thing is, I'm currently defending somebody who doesn't believe in evolution. Am I not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Am I not allowed to question this, to be "dumbfounded" by somebody's lack of understanding on a subject that can seem so straightforward? In all of politics, you see people "dumbfounded" by other people's relatively subjective/uncontrollable beliefs and mindsets, and nobody raises a fucking eyebrow. Yet it's somehow just AWFUL to think this way about somebody's understanding of concrete facts? Like, yeah, maybe somebody's understanding of algebra isn't as important to their role in society as is their opinion on social issues such as gay marriage, but that shouldn't be the only qualifier for "dumbfoundedness". And I'm not saying "all people who do poorly at math are idiots who need to put in some fucking effort." I'm just saying, people can't understand math? I can't understand why not. That's just as legitimate of a lack of understanding. And if we need to be politically correct and empathetic about the former lack of understanding, the least we can do is make an attempt for the latter.
too long to read. can i have a tl;dr?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

Silly twink.

FierceDeity does not do tl;dr. His tl;dr versions are the sizes of small novellas.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 12, 2014, 06:43:03 PMSilly twink.

FierceDeity does not do tl;dr. His tl;dr versions are the sizes of small novellas.
novellas are already small though D:
unmotivated

Ruto

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 12, 2014, 05:16:28 PMIt's just when you find something comes naturally, you keep forgetting it doesn't for others. So each time someone complains about the math, I am dumbfounded because I simply keep forgetting that. And I have a terrible memory. -_-

Heh, I don't think that's the only reason. But keep your head down once in a while. Knowing when to shut up Modesty never hurts anyone >_>

Back to topic: I think an NSM hipster barn would be a great idea. Except it's not so much a barn as a real place you can sleep in, with plumbing and electricity. And furniture.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Dudeman

Pfffff. Furniture is too mainstream.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

FierceDeity

Quote from: zoroark1264 on October 12, 2014, 05:35:17 PMtoo long to read. can i have a tl;dr?

Spoiler
[close]

In comparison to some of the shit I've written in these forums, this was actually pretty short, haha

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 12, 2014, 06:43:03 PMFierceDeity does not do tl;dr. His tl;dr versions are the sizes of small novellas.

Damn straight.

Quote from: Ruto on October 12, 2014, 08:13:06 PMBack to topic: I think an NSM hipster barn would be a great idea. Except it's not so much a barn as a real place you can sleep in, with plumbing and electricity. And furniture.

Idk if this'd be all that unpopular of an opinion, tbh
Though I've never actually heard the term "hipster barn" before. And urban dictionary was no help :/

Ruto

I just called it that because some lady was on the news lately. She appeared one of airbnb's ads, and got in trouble because she was renting out this barn she herself was renting to a bunch of traveling hipsters that needed a cheap place to stay. So then the barn became a place where all these hipsters were gathered around while looking for work -> hipster barn. I just made up the term hipster barn so I didn't expect it to show up anywhere XD Maybe I should have said "frat house."

Some people might be opposed to the idea of sharing property somewhat, so yeah, that's why! Like, what if it was a mansion or one of those European castles I posted about a while back. The ones that were cheaper than an apartment in the city.

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on October 12, 2014, 09:24:55 PMIn comparison to some of the shit I've written in these forums, this was actually pretty short, haha
Especially when you and BDS start conversing.
Then it's just
HUGE QUOTE

HUGE BLOCK OF TEXT

HUGE QUOTE

HUGE BLOCK OF TEXT

haha/ :P (fierce and BDS respectively)
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Life goal: trend "hipster barn"

braix

I hate reading tons of text so I skip those posts.
Then I wonder what you guys are talking about.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Dude

Remember when we had smart people? -_-

SuperFireKirby

Nope. But I remember when there were people on here older than me who were more informed and more experienced in life. But now I'm that person, and all you kiddies need to hush.

Also, I'm 100% for the idea of a hipster barn, as long as it's an actual barn.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

That was maybe the most ironically hilarious post
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ruto

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 13, 2014, 03:33:35 PMNope. But I remember when there were people on here older than me who were more informed and more experienced in life. But now I'm that person, and all you kiddies need to hush.

Hey...

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 13, 2014, 03:33:35 PMAlso, I'm 100% for the idea of a hipster barn, as long as it's an actual barn.

It needs a modern toilet at the very least. I don't want to use these ever again.