News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 03, 2014, 08:12:47 AMAnime isn't a genre :P saying you don't like anime is like saying you don't like any television shows
But I don't like any television shows....  :P

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

After I became this nerd for anime I don't like normal TV/movies anymore. I don't even remember how to use a remote, that's how long it's been since I've watched TV.
Birdo for Smash

Zunawe

Television in general isn't that great anyway. But that doesn't mean that there aren't fantastic series and movies out there. Sherlock or Doctor Who for example. Don't just divide shows into anime and everything else.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Mashi

Speaking of Sherlock and Doctor Who and unpopular opinions!!!

Although I find both shows enjoyable to watch, I find the writing to be exceptionally awful in both instances.  There are a few great instances, sure, but I feel that overall, they don't have much literary merit.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Mashi on June 03, 2014, 01:04:29 PMSpeaking of Sherlock and Doctor Who and unpopular opinions!!!

Although I find both shows enjoyable to watch, I find the writing to be exceptionally awful in both instances.  There are a few great instances, sure, but I feel that overall, they don't have much literary merit.

Same! You're right. Especially compared with works of genius writing like Arrested Development.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Mashi

THE SHOW DOESN'T EVEN TAKE ITSELF SERIOUSLY, BUT THE WRITING IS STILL SOMEHOW SO GREAT.

Season 4 is the only down point for it, but even then, it's still pretty hilarious.

KefkaticFanatic

I dont think anybody likes Sherlock for the writing, they just like it for Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman loafing around

me irl
[close]

mikey

hey martin freeman is amazing.
But I just can't get over the whole speaking another language thing.  how am I supposed to even know what they're sayan? (HAHHAHAHA HOW FUNNY I AM)
Also the hair style is messed up.
I should probably clarify that by saying anime holds no interest for me, I don't dislike it per se.
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

There's a lot more variety in anime than stereotypes may make you believe, so it might be worth giving a few random recs a try.  It is of course infested with tropes as is all media, and there are many you should stay away from for just that reason, but def some great content is around.

me irl
[close]

fingerz

Quote from: Zunawe on June 03, 2014, 10:47:43 AMTelevision in general isn't that great anyway. But that doesn't mean that there aren't fantastic series and movies out there. Sherlock or Doctor Who for example.
I thought Sherlock was Shrek for a minute... O.o

Hahaha! Anime. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SuperFireKirby

In the case of both Sherlock and Doctor Who, the writing could easily be better(especially Sherlock). I watch them because the characters are so charming. I just hope Capaldi has half the charm that Matt Smith did.

The thing about anime is, some are really fucking amazing and some are really fucking terrible. In my experience(which isn't all that much compared to some NSMers) there is little middle ground between the two. And even the really good ones often suffer from things like  lack of convincing emotion or cringe-worthy overblown drama, the latter of which Kids on the Slope suffers from heavily(while being an amazing show all around, it does have it's fair share of issues). Also, when it comes to annoying character tropes, anime has ALL OF THEM. It's far from the perfect form of media some of it's more devout fans treat it as, and as far as I'm concerned, books and movies are still vastly superior modes of storytelling.

But anime is pretty coll

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ruto

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on June 03, 2014, 03:08:13 PMI dont think anybody likes Sherlock for the writing, they just like it for Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman loafing around

Well...that sold more tickets for the Hobbit movies xD You also forgot to mention the yaoi that comes with the fandom.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Dude

i heard someone was talking about yaoi so i'm here now let's talk more ok yeah

Possible unpopular opinion(??): yaoi and yuri are gr8