News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I have to disagree with the sentiment that Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are overrated. As someone who didn't fully play either of them until 2014 and 2016 respectively, they absolutely live up to the hype and don't feel dated beyond a somewhat iffy camera control system. My personal hierarchy of the 3D Mario games actually places 64 at the top, right above 3D World and Galaxy 2, and Ocarina is my second favorite Zelda after Majora's Mask, which is very similar.

@Maelstrom: Apollo Justice being not great is a POPULAR opinion. It's only the hardcore fandom who loves it unconditionally, and even then most of us didn't love it the first time we played it.

It's also a pretty popular opinion that Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story were the peak of the Mario & Luigi RPG series. Personally, I love each game in the series with all my heart, including Dream Team, but I'm surprised that people don't love Paper Jam as much as the old games.

Mario Kart 64 is the weakest Mario Kart, but it's fondly remembered by many because it laid the groundwork for every subsequent Mario Kart. It's an example of something being revolutionary but then outdone by what it inspired.

@Braix I love Gates to Infinity too!

My own unpopular opinions:
-Twilight Princess is a bad, bad game. Like, awful. Not just as a Zelda game, either. And Skyward Sword is actually really good.
-I love all of the 3DS Pokémon games. Including XY.
-Speaking of Pokémon, Pyukumuku is my favorite Pokémon from Sun and Moon.
-Super Mystery Dungeon is the worst Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game.
-Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is the best game for Wii U.
-Unwound Future is the least good Layton game (not counting Layton's Mystery Journey, which would probably take that spot).
-Mentioned this earlier, but I love Dream Team. Everyone else's complaints about the story didn't really ring true for me, and I've played it three times.
-I don't really like Splatoon.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 04, 2017, 12:24:00 PM@Maelstrom: Apollo Justice being not great is a POPULAR opinion. It's only the hardcore fandom who loves it unconditionally, and even then most of us didn't love it the first time we played it.

Actually, yeah, I was just about to mention that. Personally, I loved 4-1 and 4-2, thought 4-4 was decent, and despised 4-3 (which is generally common among AA fans, although 4-2 and 4-4 are a bit more controversial; I probably like them more than a lot of other people). But if you want my own really unpopular AA opinion... to me, 1-4 is the worst final case and overall even one of the worst cases in the series.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 04, 2017, 12:24:00 PM-Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is the best game for Wii U.

Well I love SM3DW to death so that would take the top spot for me but otherwise YES I love this game

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 04, 2017, 12:24:00 PM-Unwound Future is the least good Layton game (not counting Layton's Mystery Journey, which would probably take that spot).

Wow talk about an unpopular opinion (not that I don't respect it or anything, but Unwound Future is just sooo completely loved from what I've seen, and I loved it quite a lot too)

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 04, 2017, 12:24:00 PM-I don't really like Splatoon.

Oh, boy, I can relate... I really don't like it either. Buuut at least when my brother and I ordered it and went to pick it up at Best Buy they accidentally gave us the Splatoon Wii U bundle instead of just the game so we made a couple hundred dollars even if we weren't having any fun with the game we just got :D
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Sebastian

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 04, 2017, 12:24:00 PM-I don't really like Splatoon.
I mean, Splatoon is basically Sunshine, but you make a mess instead of clean up...
In all seriousness, I didn't think Splatoon was anything phenomenal, either. Splatoon 2 is beating a dead horse, in my opinion.

mastersuperfan

I don't own it or anything (and I doubt I'll ever get it), but I'm honestly seeing nothing but complaints about Splatoon 2 at the moment. Those might just be the vocal hardcore Splatoon 1 fans, though...
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on August 04, 2017, 11:25:28 AMI don't understand why people don't like Sunshine that much. It's probably nostalgia blinding me.

To be fair, when you take away the few annoying levels/missions there are, and maybe the really obscure blue coins too, Super Mario Sunshine is the most fun of any of the 3D Mario games for one simple reason that none of the other entries match at all: Mario's controls. In Sunshine, there's so much depth and nuance to Mario's control scheme that makes even just the simple act of moving around so much fun. Even FLUDD was a great mechanic that added to the controls rather than just provided a limited and generally incapable extension. You can do so much more with FLUDD than you ever could with the caps from 64 or the powerups from the Galaxy games.

It's just a shame 90% of the level design didn't match the controls very well, and the parts of the game that did match them (those little platforming areas in every main world) were very bland and uninteresting compared to the main worlds. Every other 3D Mario game has way, way better level design, but I don't find the actual gameplay itself to be as interesting, exciting, or fun as Sunshine's.

Dudeman

Aw man, I loved Splatoon a lot and I don't entirely understand what made it such a "meh" game for a lot of people.

Ninja'd:
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 04, 2017, 12:44:02 PMI don't own it or anything (and I doubt I'll ever get it), but I'm honestly seeing nothing but complaints about Splatoon 2 at the moment. Those might just be the vocal hardcore Splatoon 1 fans, though...
The main reason Spla2n is receiving so much flack is the weird half-hearted attempts Nintendo made at integrating more "competitive" features common in other competitive shooters. You have voice chat...but only through a clunky and unreliable mobile app. You can team up with friends...but only in ranked modes and league battles. Aside from that, the amazing new team vs. AI mode, Salmon Run, is only available at certain times (WHY?! IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE), and now since the Switch doesn't have a gamepad, super jumping and viewing the map are that much more inconvenient. It could've been great and it still can if Nintendo shoves out updates like there's no tomorrow, but the base game is a disappointing follow-up.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

This is more a confession than an unpopular opinion, but I'm afraid to try Sonic Generations because I'm worried it will be mediocre, because it seems like all the people I know who enjoy it don't like the original Sonic games.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Yug_Guy

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 04, 2017, 12:44:02 PMI don't own it or anything (and I doubt I'll ever get it), but I'm honestly seeing nothing but complaints about Splatoon 2 at the moment. Those might just be the vocal hardcore Splatoon 1 fans, though...
Most of the complaints are that Spla2n isn't all that different from the original Splatoon. So if you love the original Splatoon (like I did), then you probably like Spla2n as well. But for those expecting something more exciting or "fresh", then I can understand the disappointment. That, and the few baffling choices Nintendo has made with things like Salmon Run times or the voice chat app.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Yug_Guy

WaluigiTime64

Call it bias from childhood but I really like SM64. A good reason is probably how Mario's mobility makes traversing the levels so much more fun than some others.

Anyhoo:
 - I don't like the original Super Mario Bros.
 - I don't mind New Super Mario Bros. U existing.
 - I don't mind New Super Luigi U existing.
 - The All-Stars version of The Lost Levels is very fun.
 - World 8 in SMB3 is easy, but I struggle in World 3 and 5.
 - Super Mario Kart is mediocre at best, although I do see how the series developed from it.
 - MK64 is garbage with few redeeming qualities, although I do see how the series developed from it.
 - I don't like MK7's Rainbow Road, both the track and the music.
 - I don't like playing MKWii with Funky in the Bowser Bike (Flame Runner) at all.
 - I like Mega Man 10 over 9.
 - I like Mega Man 4's soundtrack.
 - I don't like Mega Man 2.
 - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil and Double Dealing Character are hot garbage.
 - I like Subterranean Animism.
 - The Scarlet Devil Mansion group isn't the best group in the series.
 - I don't like JRPGs because I get bored quickly from reading text.
 - I don't like to play Pokemon often because it always seems like too much time invested into playing.

Fight me but don't fight me.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

LeviR.star

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 04, 2017, 02:58:21 PM- I don't like the original Super Mario Bros.
 - I don't mind New Super Mario Bros. U existing.
 - I don't mind New Super Luigi U existing.
 - Super Mario Kart is mediocre at best, although I do see how the series developed from it.
 - MK64 is garbage with few redeeming qualities, although I do see how the series developed from it.
 - I like Mega Man 4's soundtrack.
 - I don't like to play Pokemon often because it always seems like too much time invested into playing.

I can agree with all of these.

EDIT:
Quote from: Dudeman on August 04, 2017, 02:44:20 PMThe best live-action film of all time is Monty Python and the Holy Grail, this is a factual statement and cannot be argued against
the second best is The Princess Bride

Monty Python wasn't funny at all. Again, just my opinion.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

Dude splatoon is a spectacular moba and Nintendo should funnel a lot into making it a competitive series like they never did with smash
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 04, 2017, 02:58:21 PM- I like Mega Man 4's soundtrack.
 - I don't like Mega Man 2.
you hurt me deep inside man