TWG 54: Game of Wolves

Started by Bird, May 29, 2013, 04:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird

This game has 3 wolves and 11 humans. There are 4 different human factions as well as some roles that are not aligned to any faction. Only 11 of the roles in the lists below are actually in the game, the other 17 were given to various players (and wolves) to false claim with. I have updated the character lists with descriptions. They're very short (couldn't take you more than 10 minutes to read all of them), and give some idea as to what each character does. As this is a mystery game, be prepared for anything: items, poison, revivals, universal effects, swapping allegiances, and much more. Some of the more obvious mechanics are listed in the following post.

Character List (Quick Reference)
Spoiler
Eddard Stark
Catelyn Stark
Bran Stark
Arya Stark
Robb Stark
Jon Snow

Tywin Lannister
Cersei Lannister
Jaime Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Gregor Clegane
Sandor Clegane

Robert Baratheon
Stannis Baratheon
Melisandre
Davos Seaworth
Renly Baratheon
Brienne of Tarth

Viserys Targaryen
Illyrio Mopatis
Daenerys Targaryen
Khal Drogo
Jorah Mormont
Mirri Maz Duur

Margaery Tyrell
Lysa Arryn
Theon Greyjoy
Varys
[close]

Character List (with Descriptions)
Spoiler
Character List

There are 28 characters in this list, but only 11 of them are actual roles in this game. The other 17 are false roles given to players and White Walkers to allow them to false claim more easily. This lists each of those roles (real or fake) by their house allegiance, if any. Try not to make too many assumptions about the make-up of the game based on the list or your role PM; I peppered the game description with (probably)s for a reason--it's tricky! The White Walkers may not even be red! They could be white or something! Characters from this list were selected to be in the game at random, rather than based on their importance.

House Stark
For the most part, friends with House Baratheon and enemies with House Lannister.

Eddard Stark - The honorable Lord of Winterfell and head of House Stark, Eddard "Ned" Stark is a man of principles. He's a good man, but very grim. He's known for repeating the words of House Stark: "Winter is Coming."
Catelyn Stark - Lady Catelyn Stark is Lord Eddard Stark's wife. Born a Tully of Riverrun in the south, she has yet to learn to love the North, but certainly loves her children. She is protective of them, and apprehensive that their safety may be endangered when war approaches.
Bran Stark - Bran Stark is the younger brother of Robb Stark and Jon Snow, and a son of Lord Eddard Stark. He's a kind and loving, with a strange gift for seeing things; visions and dreams of things to come. He also has a huge pet wolf named Summer.
Arya Stark - Arya Stark is the youngest daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark. She likes fighting, horseback riding, stealing treasures, killing people... typical little girl stuff. She's fierce, able to disguise herself and isn't afraid to do what she can to get what she wants, which in this case is probably revenge.
Robb Stark - Robb Stark is the eldest son of Eddard and Catelyn Stark and will inherit Winterfell and all of its titles. Like his father, he's honorable, with a strong sense of justice, although he does have a rebellious side as well. Excellent with a sword, too.
Jon Snow - Jon Snow is the black sheep of the Stark family, namely because he is not a Stark. Bastard children of the north are given the surname "Snow," and Catelyn Stark is not his mother. Since he won't inherit any lands or titles, he sought to find his place by joining the Night's Watch. There he watches from a wall of ice a wasteland full of ancient monsters and stuff. He carries around a torch, is very similar to his father, and has a giant wolf pet named Ghost.

House Lannister
For the most part, enemies with House Stark.

Tywin Lannister - Tywin Lannister is a wealthy, insightful, influential, and powerful man. When he was a teenager he completely exterminated a competing house, literally wiping the name "Reyne" from the Earth. He has many informants and cares about the legacy and reputation of House Lannister more than almost anything else.
Cersei Lannister - Cercei Lannister is as beautiful as she is backstabbing. Which is to say, very beautiful and very backstabbing. On the surface, she's the perfect lady, full of grace and charm. But just below the surface is a woman who is conniving, poisonous and prideful above all else. In other words, sort of a bitch! Twins with Jaime.
Jaime Lannister - Jaime Lannister is one of the greatest knights of the Kingsguard, a group of bodyguards sworn to protect the King. However, he has earned the nickname "Kingslayer" for killing the King (Mad King Aerys) he was sworn to protect. They call him honorless, but that doesn't change the skill he has with a sword. His last name also means he's super wealthy, which is pretty neat. Twins with Cersei. Has a sort of lazy, arrogant coolness about him.
Tyrion Lannister - Tyrion is a dwarf. Not the magical kind, a person with dwarfism. And he's sort of the reject of House Lannister, since none of his family likes him, despite the fact that he often has to fix their mistakes. He's extremely witty and tricky, but weak on the battlefield because of his stature.
Gregor Clegane - "Tywin's Mad Dog" they call him. He's an 8-foot-tall killing machine, with the tactical skills of an ape and the scaring skills of the Bottom of the Well from Ocarina of Time. He does Tyiwn's dirty work: pillaging, killing children, you name it. His huge size, addiction to painkillers and monstrous acts have left him mostly unfeeling.
Sandor Clegane - Gregor Clegane's younger brother. When he was a small boy, Gregor shoved his face into a hot fire, burning half of it, making him look pretty hideous. He's still an excellent swordsman, and incredibly loyal to House Lannister. He's no knight though, and hates all they stand for. He hates a lot of things, really.

House Baratheon
For the most part, friends with House Stark and enemies with House Targaryen.

Robert Baratheon - Robert Baratheon was once a fierce warrior and commander, crushing enemie and armies with his warhammer. Now he's sort of just a fat, lusty lecher. He still keeps up with the politics and plots of Westeros, but doesn't relish it the way other characters do. Hates the Targaryens for killing his love, Lyanna Stark.
Stannis Baratheon - Stannis is Robert's younger brother. Where Robert was easygoing, Stannis was stubborn and where Robert would let things slide, Stannis would deliver unflinching and merciless justice. A fierce naval commander and zealous believer in a the "Red God" of Melisandre. Also he will do whatever he can to spread information he believes to be true if it is what's right.
Melisandre - A red priestess of Asshai who became a loyal follower of Stannis Baratheon. She has magic powers, many relating to the use of fire, alchemy or poison. Believes she can see things in her fires.
Davos Seaworth - A smuggler who became a loyal follower of Stannis Baratheon. Will do what he can to advise or help him, and is a very trustworthy individual.
Renly Baratheon - Renly is Robert's youngest brother. Although he was never the warrior or commander his brothers were, his wit and looks have made him extremely popular with the commoners. Their love for him will surely give him hella armies someday. Oh, also he's totally gay.
Brienne of Tarth - A woman who would be a knight. Totally in love with Renly, and is completely dedicated to whatever cause he may pursue. Used to getting mocked for being a chick with a sword, but she's good with the sword so it doesn't matter that much. Very simple, not into the plots everybody else is obsessed with. Oh, also she's super tall and ugly.

House Targaryen
For the most part, enemies with House Baratheon.

Viserys Targaryen - The exiled Targaryen Prince. When Mad King Aerys was killed, the Targaryens were forced into hiding. As a result of this (or perhaps as a result of all the Targaryen inbreeding), he's gone sort of mad. Known as "The Beggar King" since he flees from place to place, begging for an army to take back the only home he ever knew. Also he gets really angry.
Illyrio Mopatis - The wealthy merchant who took in the Targaryens. Lives in the distant city of Pentos and plots to have the Targaryens ascend to power in Westeros by creating a war there.
Daenerys Targaryen - The exiled Targaryen Princess. Viserys had her married off to the savage tribal horde known as the Dothraki so that Khal Drogo might lead his horde to Westeros to take the throne back. She is shy and weak initially but learns to be strong like dragon. She also seeks vengeance for being exiled and her father being killed by the people there.
Khal Drogo - The savage leader of the Dothraki and husband of Daenerys Targaryen. Extremely strong and an incredible rider and fighter. Tough, terrifying and ambitious, there is little he could not do if he were determined, despite the simplicity of Dothraki culture.
Jorah Mormont - When Daenerys was given to the Dothraki, Jorah, another exile of Westeros, served as her guide. He's a knight who was sentenced to death for slaving, and has now found someone from Westeros to serve and counsel. But also, he's a spy!
Mirri Maz Duur - A witch that the Dothraki Horde happens across. Saved by Daenerys, she offers to help do cool magic stuff, like bring stuff back from the dead and set up poisons, cures and curses.

Third Parties
Could be aligned with anyone or no one.

Margaery Tyrell - The Tyrells are a powerful house that is moving up in the world. They rule over the lands of the south called "The Reach" the breadbasket of Westeros. Loved by her people (especially for bringing food to King's Landing, the capital), Margaery is trying to move up in the world. And for a woman, that means marrying somebody awesome.
Lysa Arryn - Lysa Arryn became unhinged when her husband died. Actually she's sort of a lunatic. She's paranoid, thinks she's seeing plots against her everywhere and has taken refuge in the mountain castle called The Eyrie. They kill people there by making them go through what is called the "Moon Door" where they fall to their deaths. Neat!
Theon Greyjoy - The only surviving son of Balon Greyjoy, the Lord of the Iron Islands. When the Greyjoys rebelled against the crown, Eddard Stark took Theon as his hostage and ward. He was raised alongside the other Starks, and is dark, witty, treacherous and good with a bow.
Varys - Varys is an enigmatic figure. A eunuch who rose to become a King's Advisor thanks to his network of spies. Little happens that he does not hear about, and its a mystery where his allegiances truly lie. Also he smells really nice.
[close]

Players:

- Yugi
- Mashi
- Liggy
- BlackDragonSlayer
- shadowkirby davy
- Bubbles
- Thiannon
- Zunawe
- fank009
- Olimar12345
- FSM-Reapr
- K-NiGhT TheZeldaPianist275
- FireArrow
- The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Chatroom

Nobody sits upon the Iron Throne. Somebody will be given the throne starting on Day 1. It is now Night 1. Night 1 ends Friday, May 31st at 8:00 PM CDT.

(2:19:33 AM) Tutan: i don't know how to twg anymore
(2:19:46 AM) bird: its easy you just yell at someone til they die

Bird

In this post, I'll be explaining a few of the key mechanics in this game.

1. Health. First, what everybody besides Fiver and Liggy are probably wondering about, the little hearts next to your name. These represent your health, which is public and updated after each phase. Wolfings, lynches and power uses in this game translate to damage. A wolfing, for instance, does 6 hearts of damage, meaning it'll almost certainly kill you (unless you have some kind of power which cuts damage by 2/3 or something). These are the kinds of health you'll see next to people's names:

- Full heart. Self-explanatory.
- Half of a heart. Also self-explanatory.
- An empty heart. Three of these means that a player is dead, but perhaps not permanently. They may be revived.
- An icy heart. Indicates a player that has been brought to life as a thrall of the White Walkers.
- These thralls can be damaged, however.
- Three black hearts indicates a person cannot be revived. Maybe somebody lit their corpse on fire or something.

2. The Throne. You saw in the update post that nobody was sitting on the Iron Throne. That means nobody is King. Being King comes with certain perks which he or she will be made aware of through PM. If he or she dies, another person takes his place. This follows a line of succession which was determined randomly before the game began. Certain roles may be privy to this line of succession.

3. The Wolves. I already mentioned in the health section that the wolves were capable of reviving players as their undead minions. They can do this and much more. In fact, they're an incredibly powerful force.
  • They know each other.
  • They can temporarily take on the characteristics and allegiances of other roles. This may enable them to sit on the Iron Throne if they play their cards right!
  • They will be weak to fire while not taking on characteristics of other roles.
  • They can raise players from the dead. These "icy thralls" will count for the wolves and be unable to use powers or vote. They will also be susceptible to fire.
And many other things. They're a force to be reckoned with.

4. Instas. Instas occur when the total number of votes against a player is greater than the total number of votes in play at that point. So if a player sends in a PM saying "yeah, make me charismatic this phase," and that's an option to them, the insta can be triggered.

5. Order of Operations. Nullification>Item Theft>Item Creation>Healing>Corpse Obliteration>Thrall Revives>Revives>Item Transfer>Other Powers>Damage

6. Knowledge. Certain roles will receive knowledge about the game rather than specific powers. Knowledge from your role is guaranteed to be accurate. Knowledge from a fake role may not be completely accurate. The more you know!

7. Inactivity. If you fail to demonstrate significant activity by the end of Day 1, you'll be replaced by a stand-by! I'm serious about this. If you don't meet my standard of activity on Night 1, you will receive a warning, and if you continue to be inactive through day 1, you will be replaced.

I believe that's everything. If there were any mistakes with your PM, or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!  I'll be online like... all night, as well as in the chatroom for a while. Good luck everyone, and have fun!

Bird

THE GAME IS NOW AFOOT. To clear a few other things up that have come up:

1. The fake role included in your role PM is guaranteed not to have been given to anyone else as a real role or as their fake role. It's all yours!

2. You can't use the powers of the fake roles. They're just there for you to false claim and mess with people. Normally in a game like this, everyone would be shy about claiming, since you'd get massacred if you were revealed in the thread. These fake roles enable you to create discussion with claims that are believable but untrue. And they help the wolves know what normal roles are like.

3. And there's no cardflipping. However, if you die, you must not speak to any other player about your role, as the dead may still have a part to play.

If you have any other questions, I'll be in the chatroom, or just send me a PM! And I'll put a link to the chatroom up shortly (to the main post).

BlackDragonSlayer

Let the games begin...!!

Oooh, yikes, I've got so many PMs from the last game...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Yugi

Yugi checking in.

Who should claim to start an alliance?

fank009

Quote from: Bird on May 29, 2013, 04:12:27 PMTHE GAME IS NOW AFOOT.

Like this???
Quote from: Yugi on May 29, 2013, 07:35:20 PMYugi checking in.

I dont think this game is meant to have 1 alliance, This game is meant to have "many" alliances...
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 29, 2013, 07:32:37 PMLet the games begin...!!

Oooh, yikes, I've got so many PMs from the last game...
You expecting some PMS BDS???
I come for the sheet music but stay for the ...

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: fank009 on May 29, 2013, 07:37:54 PMYou expecting some PMS BDS???
Nope, just commenting on how many PMs I have from the last game (which is about 6 pages worth of PMs, eh hehehe); I usually go through all the PMs from the previous game and delete all but the most "memorable" ones (e.g. role PMs from certain games, or certain discussions).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bird

Two other things I should probably mention.

1. When this topic first went up, the original post said that FSM was King. I changed that mechanic and rerolled the game, so try not to worry too much about that.

2. I updated the Order of Operations in post 2 to include corpse elimination and thrall revivals before regular revives.

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Yugi on May 29, 2013, 07:35:20 PMYugi checking in.

The wolves.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bird on May 29, 2013, 07:50:51 PM1. When this topic first went up, the original post said that FSM was King. I changed that mechanic and rerolled the game, so try not to worry too much about that.
I was wondering about that... :P

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Olimar12345

I am so confused xD I hope I don't screw things up too much...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FSM-Reapr

Bird, did the White Wakers get both: a real role with powers and a fake role?

I assume the wolves only got a fake role and the "real role" can be replaced with the identity kidnapping. Feel free to correct me, Bird.

We should all tell our roles and fake roles Night 1 and the players who can only come up with one role are wolves

y/n?

Bubbles

Olimar, don't worry you'll do great! Just pm me your role and we'll get started ;) ok dont actually im not sure how much you know and ill feel sooper bad if you really do

fank009

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on May 29, 2013, 08:27:27 PMBird, did the White Wakers get both: a real role with powers and a fake role?

I assume the wolves only got a fake role and the "real role" can be replaced with the identity kidnapping. Feel free to correct me, Bird.

We should all tell our roles and fake roles Night 1 and the players who can only come up with one role are wolves

y/n?
i dont think... that they would be disadvantaged in that way fsm, i think bird would make it that they would have a failsafe.
I come for the sheet music but stay for the ...

Bird

Quote from: The Sign-Up ThreadIn addition to a role and a house, every player gets a fake role with which to false claim if they desire. White Walkers get two.