News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Onion's Arrangements

Started by Onionleaf, May 13, 2013, 07:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onionleaf

Hi there, welcome! Have a cup o' tea and a cookie, take a seat and enjoy browsing these sheets. :)

Link to my accepted NSM arrangements

[NDS] Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Courtroom Lobby ~ New Prelude    MUS  MUSX  YT 

[3DS] Bravely Default

Shrine Maiden's Prayer          MUS  MUSX  YT 

[SNES] Chrono Trigger

Underground Sewer                         MUS  YT 

[GBA] Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II

Sparring Arena                               MUSYT
Trunks' ThemeMUSYT

[3DS] Fantasy Life

Happy Life (Duet)                           MUS  MUSX  YT 
Puerto Port ThemeMUS  MUSX  YT 

[GBA] Fire Emblem

Girl of the Plains - Lyn's Theme                 MUS  MUSX  YT 
Opening - History UnveiledMUSMUSX  YT

[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening

But, Frederick, It's Nearly Dark!              MUS  YT 
There are better places to take a nap
than on the ground you know.
MUSYT

[GBA] Golden Sun

Altin Caves (Replacement)PDFMUS  MIDIOn Site
Enemy Appearance                   MUS  YT 
Imil's Theme (Replacement)PDFMUS  MIDIOn Site
Mysterious CavesMUSYT

[GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age

AlhafraMUS  YT 
Battle! [Agatio & Karst]               MUSYT
Battle! [Dragons]MUSYT
Festival in IzumoMUSYT
Freezing KaltMUSYT
Izumo in DespairMUSYT
Kandorean TempleMUSYT
Scaling MountainsMUSYT
Sorrow and RegretMUSYT
The Sea of TimeMUSYT
Village Theme (Replacement)PDFMUS  MIDIOn Site

[NDS] Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Festive Town                           MUS  YT 
KaochoMUSYT
Sveta's PainMUSYT
TanglewoodMUSYT
Te Rya VillageMUSYT

[PC] Heroes of Might & Magic III

Stronghold Theme                      MUS  YT 
Waiting Theme 2MUSYT

[Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn

Green Greens                             MUS  YT 
World 3: Treat LandMUSYT

[Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Leaping from the Clouds      MUS  MUSX  YT 

[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Detention Center ~ Jailer's ElegyMUS  YT 
Investigation ~ Opening 2001MUSYT
Jake Marshall ~ A Detective Without a Desert      MUSYT
Reminiscence ~ DL-6 CaseMUSYT

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Lively People                             MUS  MUSX  YT 

[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All

Announce the Truth 2002MUS    YT 
Great Revival ~ Miles EdgeworthMUSMUSXYT
Investigation ~ Core 2002MUSYT
Investigation ~ Opening 2002           MUSMUSX  YT
More Happy PeopleMUSYT
Pursuit ~ QuestionedMUSYT
Shelly de KillerMUSMUSXYT
Tachimi Circus           MUSMUSX  YT

[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations

Cross-Examination ~ Moderato 2004  MUS  MUSX  YT
Objection! 2004MUS  MUSX  YT

[NDS] Pokémon Black/White

DreamyardMUS  MUSX  YT *NEW*
Skyarrow Bridge (Replacement)   MUS  MUSX  YT

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl

Oreburgh Gate                           MUS  YT 

[GBA] Riviera: The Promised Land

Elegant Memories                      MUS  YT 
Encounter!MUSYT
Fierce Fight!MUSYT
NeldeMUSYT
OvertureMUSYT
PicnicMUSYT

[PC] Runescape

All's Fairy in Love and War             MUS  YT 
Food for ThoughtMUSYT
Nether RealmMUSYT
Norse CodeMUSYT
Scape CaveMUS  YT

[PS2] Shadow of the Colossus

Wander's Death                              MUSYT

[PS] Star Ocean: The Second Story

Feel RefreshedMUS  MUSX  YT 
PyroxeneMUSMUSXYT
Rena's ThemeMUSMUSXYT
Rena's Theme (Music Box)  MUSMUSXYT
ResolutionMUSMUSXYT
The Dim Light of DuskMUSMUSXYT
The Venerable ForestMUSMUSXYT
Weathercock (Duet)MUSMUSXYT

[3DS] Stella Glow

Battle - Elcrest                         MUS  MUSX  YT 
Song of RuinMUSMUSXYT
The EclipseMUSMUSXYT

[PC] Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody

Dancing Water Spray                  MUS  YT 

[PS] Valkyrie Profile

Valhalla                                       MUS  YT 
When a Person ChangesMUSYT

[PS2] Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Overture to the DestinyMUS  YT 
The Chance That Becomes an Inevitability    MUS  MUSX  YT 

Other

Simplified Arrangements (Legend of Zelda):
Minuet of Forest - [PDF]
Serenade of Water - [PDF]
Song of Storms - [PDF #1] [PDF #2]

CLBGM

Hi Onion! Welcome to NSM, and thank you for arranging the GSDD OST, one of my favorite games :D

The Passaj arrangement is kinda slow compared to the original, and you skipped some parts. But I really like the other arrangements :)

JDMEK5

Welcome Onionleaf!

I don't know these songs so I'll just give you some tips on making your sheets cleaner.

First of all, great job on formatting! Your quality level is exceptional for new folk.
So without further ado, let's jump in:

1) Passaj
-"Pno." abbreviation at the beginning of all staff systems (except the first of course) should not be there. Removing it may or may not be possible depending on which version of Finale you have.
-You can't have a dotted quarter note on the off-beat of the second beat. Any such case should be written as an eighth tied to a quarter. This appears for the first time in the right hand of measure 8.
-Don't forget a double bar line for the key change. (Measure 9)

2) Champa Camp
-"Pno." abbreviation at the beginning of all staff systems (except the first of course) should not be there. Removing it may or may not be possible depending on which version of Finale you have.
-"Lightly" note should be written to the left of the tempo marking.
-Second beat, right hand should be a dotted eighth as opposed to a 16th tied to an eighth.
-As before, you can't have a dotted quarter note on the off-beat of the second beat. Any such case should be written as an eighth tied to a quarter.
-Don't forget double bar lines for key changes.
-Your url is off: http://www.ninsheetm.us/

3) Festive Town
-Left hand, measure 25 onwards has some notes being tied into the next measure. I'm going to ask if that's necessary. If not, take them out. If they are, it's fine.
-"Pno." abbreviation here too.
-Don't forget double bar lines for key changes.
-Messed up the url again. :P http://www.ninsheetm.us/
-All rhythm groupings are perfect though. Way to go!

Overall, very impressive for first arrangements. Well done.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Onionleaf

Thank you for the welcomes! :D

@CLBGM: Glad to hear you also enjoyed the game! I was actually a little confused at first by your comment on the Passaj piece, but then realised that you may have been talking about the second version of the town's theme? The track that I arranged is played earlier in the game and has a sadder and slower melody (b/c of the change to a minor key) and was much easier to arrange because the two parts divided perfectly into both hands. ;)

@JDMEK5: Wow is all I can say! Thank you so much for taking the time to go through the three sheets. Not everyone would want to use some of their leisure time to help fix a random person's arrangements, though I suppose that is what goes on around here! I understand the theory now behind all the points that you've made, so that is a good start, hehe.
I was recently working on a fourth piece that was a bit more dramatic and fast-paced, but the note groupings and rhythm confused me in so many places. You (or somebody else) are probably going to poke me for neglecting all the fine-but-still-very-important details. I have never had much experience with 12/8 time, so I still need to re-organise all the notes. *sigh*

Apollo Ascent
[MUS] [PDF] [MIDI]

pumpy_heart

Heya. Really great job on the sheets. It's always incredible to see a fellow Golden Sun fan around these parts.

Here's my take on "Apoji Islands" from back in the day. NSM asked me notate the rhythm that way (doesn't it look awful?). I'd definitely recommend replacing the trills with the tremolos. Sakuraba-san is mimicking Caribbean marimba/vibraphone playing. Feel free to copy and paste, then upload your own. Obviously mine was never accepted haha.

Really nice job with Kandorean Temple! The only slight suggestion I would make is layering the piece with dynamics. Since there's about 4 layers of music occurring at the same time, some are very clearly in the foreground while some are subdued. I would notate this with dynamics every time a line occurs. Also when a line changes hands such as measure 14 to 15, I would draw a line between the two, showing that the line simply moved to another hand.

Had to check out just one more. Very good job with Apollo's Ascent! Quick music theory lesson. Our system of chords are based on triads, 3 notes separated by a note in between. A C major chord would be C E G, as there is space for 2 notes (D and F) in between the three. You also only use the same accidental (sharps, flats) in each triad. 95% of the music on this site is based on triads. So from measure 17 for a bit onwards, the first chord should be F# A C# instead of Db F# A. 25-28 is just as keyless, where the motion is based not on functioning triads but common tone related triads (ignore this, or message me. but really probably ignore). Whereas the chord in measure 25 is Ab Major, m. 26 should be E G# B instead of E Ab B.
Also use a D# instead of an Eb in measure 4. Easiest way to explain this is that you don't want two notes with the same letter name with different accidentals in the same measure. There's a more complicated explanation, but this should hold for now (again, message if for some reason this interests you).

Great job! Are these your first arrangements?

Jompa

Quote from: pumpy_heart on May 31, 2013, 09:38:39 PMHad to check out just one more. Very good job with Apollo's Ascent! Quick music theory lesson. Our system of chords are based on triads, 3 notes separated by a note in between. A C major chord would be C E G, as there is space for 2 notes (D and F) in between the three. You also only use the same accidental (sharps, flats) in each triad. 95% of the music on this site is based on triads. So from measure 17 for a bit onwards, the first chord should be F# A C# instead of Db F# A. 25-28 is just as keyless, where the motion is based not on functioning triads but common tone related triads (ignore this, or message me. but really probably ignore). Whereas the chord in measure 25 is Ab Major, m. 26 should be E G# B instead of E Ab B.
I want to add that from measure#17 and to the end the song modulates quite a bit. In actuality you have the wrong key all the way from measure#17 and through the end. At measure#25 you do have a key change, but that is unfortunately wrong too.
Here are some corrections:
-The song starts off in Eminor of course, so that is right.
-At measure#17 it goes into F#minor. Don't worry about the F chord, this is just subdominant tritone substitution, so this doesn't affect the key.
-Then, at measure#19 it goes into Gminor.
-Then, at measure#21 it appears to me (I haven't heard the original) like it goes back to F#minor again.
-And just like how it changed into Gminor earlier, it does so at measure#23 as well.
-At measure#25, or where the repeat bars start rather, it goes to Fminor, which has four flats, not three. Don't worry about the E chord, it's just subdominant tritone substitution just like earlier.

And that's it:)
Birdo for Smash

Onionleaf

@Thomas: Hiya, first off thank you for stopping by and lending a hand, always greatly appreciated. :)
I did change the trills to tremolos for Apojii Islands (I had no idea Finale even had that feature, I certainly learned something new today!) but all the ties/note groupings in your version confused me, lol.

Wonderful suggestion for "Kandorean Temple" (the whole piece is pretty much compiled out of four notes, it does need some differentiation between the voices). I haven't had a lot of experience with Finale (but I did use the NotePad version for a long time prior to this year), so I don't know if it is possible to add dynamics to different layers, but I'll try work something out, at least visually.

Triads.. oh dear, of course I should've know that, and the D# (and other accidentals) probably has to do with harmonic/melodic minors, right?

And to answer your last question, these are not my very first arrangements, though I only started arranging from the beginning of this year (my first ones were pretty horrible ^^").

@Jompa: Wow, thank you for the list! So many modulations might scare the pianist, but it looks like they all fit well. :) Every point that I read made me think "Ah, that's right.." -- in the back of my mind, I realise that I should be able to see what I have done wrong, but it's so very difficult when you've had little practice with music theory.

Thank you all again! I tend to add new arrangements like a ninja, so I definitely did not expect any responses, haha. I'll keep revising the ones that I have uploaded and maybe find some of those hidden mistakes.

pumpy_heart

NSM moderators at the time asked me to use that notation so it would get uploaded to the site. I too find it disturbing haha. Never made it. Glad you learned something!

Back to Ascent:
I wouldn't even use key in those sections that "modulate." They're common-tone related chords, not linked together by key. Each chord shares a note in common with the previous. Not diatonically based. Jompa's suggestion of key changes works in a diatonic context where scale degrees function to give motion towards a finale or resting point. However, with common-tone chords, this motion is offset. Common-tone related chords have been used as early as Beethoven to convey a sense of motion harmonically rather than melodically. With the past century's minimalism, common-tone chords brought a new sense of stability that tonality can not offer. Motion through common-tone chords create a harmonic structure that has no beginning or end. Can move freely among triads. See John Adams, Phillip Glass.

General overall:
I went back and listened to everything. There's a reason I picked Apollo's Ascent to look at your arrangements. Definitely the most complex harmonic structure of the soundtrack. Or so I thought. Tanglewood has some stuff too. He crafts it well.
In your 3/4 arrangements, sometimes you use a quarter note tied to eighth. It's okay to use a dotted quarter, then have an eighth tied to quarter.
When using crescendos and decrescendos, it's always a good idea to give a definite starting dynamic and ending dynamic. I got confused a few times reading your arrangement.
When your beams from multiple layers overlap, there's options to flip the beam direction if your finale is high enough. Definitely cleans up the sheet a ton. You want to strive for no collisions of any sort in your published arrangement.

All done. Sounds great. Please keep up the good work. Message me whenever you add more Golden Sun stuff ;)

Onionleaf

I send this thread back from the Graveyard! And put it into Defence mode j/k :P
Well, I finally took the time to update my list of arrangements (which took more work that I thought it would *phew*), please have a look... whenever, no rush. :) The games that I pick are nothing as popular as Pokémon or Undertale, but I hope they're still of interest.

Bespinben

That's a TON of new stuff! Normally I like to just announce stuff 1 at a time and spread it out over the week, since I figure it makes it easier to digest. I'm not even sure where to start looking here, haha! (Maybe Runescape, can't go wrong with that)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Onionleaf

Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give anyone an upset stomach... I simply wanted to list everything that has been completed since the last time I was here. I obviously don't expect for any one person to look through all of them; just thought I'd add *new* tags in case those forumers who have passed through in 2013 will know which ones are the older arrangements. I would never ever be able to complete so many arrangements in a short time-frame, so such a large update is a one-time thing. ^^

Onionleaf

Howdy! Just popped in to say that I went through all my sheets, found Youtube videos for them and fixed up any mistakes that I found in the process. I wanted to get all my ducks in a row before submitting anything. It would be great to see some of my older sheets uploaded to the site, so here it goes! I think I'll just concentrate on four sheets at one time and once they are all completed, I'll pick another four sheets to fix up.

Please let me know if the following sheets can be improved in some way, and I'll start submitting them asap. :)

[NDS] Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Passaj (Sad) - [MUS] - Youtube
Apollo Ascent - [MUS] - Youtube
Champa Camp - [MUS] - Youtube
Sveta's Pain - [MUS] - Youtube (Should I try adding "echo notes", or will it just clutter up the sheet?)

Oronoco

I'm super-excited you brought your thread back, and I wish I'd seen it sooner! I have spent a lot of time listening to these soundtracks, so I'm so happy to see more Golden Sun music!

I always like echo notes! In "Sveta's Pain", you might show the echo notes you did include (starting in m. 18) in a smaller extra layer. Right now, they don't look much like echoes.

Thank you for these great arrangements!
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

Onionleaf

Thank you so much for your kind words! (Took me long enough to reply, sheesh!) I'm glad you liked listening to these soundtracks. :) Golden Sun sheets was what brought me to this site, so it's great that I'm able to give back to NSM even more Golden Sun arrangements.
I'll have a look into possibly adding echo notes in a different layer some time this week. Once I tinker around with that, I'll ask for some feedback to make sure that I did it correctly.

Quick update: I've completed another sheet yesterday from the Riviera soundtrack. (If you played this J-RPG, kudos to you! I really enjoyed it :) ) This is the first time I've attempted arranging a battle theme, so the're most likely mistakes to find and passages to improve.

Fierce Fight! - [MUS] - Youtube

Onionleaf

*Bump!*

Came back from vacation to find that I need to do some serious spring cleaning - phew, all done! *wipes off sweat* Hopefully my arrangements list is now easier to read and navigate through. (The pretty-ful formats that I've seen in this forum inspired me to update my own list, so a big thanks to those members!)

I added 4 new arrangements, with more to come hopefully soon-ish. I want to focus on the Golden Sun soundtracks for the time being - it would be so awesome to see the NSM collection for this game series fully completed. :D