News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Newbie Questions O.o

Started by AerialSnack, May 12, 2013, 11:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Just keep at it. From what I can see you've only been at it for a day, and that's not nearly enough to improve your ear.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

FireArrow

Keep up with your ear training while you arrange, and Slow's right, just jump into it. It's gonna be extremely hard and frustrating at first and your final product may not turn out to great, but over time you'll improve.

Here's the ear trainer I use - you have to download it, but I found it's a bit easier then some of the online based ones. Whatever you do though, don't just ear train, otherwise you end up like someone who's learning a language without immersion - you end up learning tons of phrases without ever reaching fluency.

http://www.miles.be/
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Ricky

Practice, that's the only way. I could write a long reply with tips but I don't have time for that. But basically, go http://www.trainear.com/ and learn the intervals by association to different pieces. Also learn recognition of basic rhythms. Theta Music Trainer is a fun ear training site if you're willing to pay some. That's it for now, practice some every day, don't overdo it. And I know I shouldn't really care but don't be a no-lifer and at least try to get a girlfriend. While I don't have a girlfriend I would want one very much (been wanting to have a girlfriend for many years). But hey everyone is different...

FireArrow

Wait, there was some old topic that Mashi linked to a really great ear trainer, let me see if I can go find it. (yes... I lurk a lot...)

EDIT:

Lol it was on the first page... >.>
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

JDMEK5

Quote from: AerialSnack on May 13, 2013, 01:08:21 PMNot sure where to go from here, unless anyone knows of a good way to improve my ear?
You can also try my method. The way I got started.

Listen to this, and try to play along with the melody on the piano or something. It may take a while to figure out the notes, but don't forget them once you have them. Once you know them, jot them down on a sheet. You don't have to do the whole song if you don't want to. (But I do want you to do the key change at 02:43)

Oh and one more rule: No looking at anyone else's arrangement. No NSM sheet, MIDI, etc.

Report back when you've done that and tell me how hard you found it.

If you don't know/like that song, you can pick one out yourself. Just make sure it's simple enough.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dusk

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 13, 2013, 03:23:54 PMListen to this
I love this song. This was one of the first songs I arranged. (Befor I came to NSM) ;D
Quote from: Bespinben on August 25, 2015, 12:08:51 AMOfficial seal of approval
(^o^)=b
August 25th, 2015