The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamaha

(For what this is about, see this link)

And yet another thread, this time for the forum itself. The forum seems to work mostly fine so this probably isn't as critical as the others. But still, there's always room for improvement. Obviously with the site update the request and submission forums will see some changes, but are there other changes you'd like made as well?

Would a custom theme improve the overall feel of the forum or is the current one adequate?

FSM-Reapr

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on May 05, 2013, 04:05:47 AMI like the current light blue we're having.
I do agree that our current color scheme is rather relaxing and, to a degree, gentle on the eyes.

However, it WOULD be an interesting concept if there were a theme where the user could design a custom color scheme for themselves.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Olimar12345

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 05, 2013, 01:03:54 PMHowever, it WOULD be an interesting concept if there were a theme where the user could design a custom color scheme for themselves.

We used to have this feature-did we lose it in one if the crashes? Almost forgot about it.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JDMEK5

Whatever happens, we cannot -I repeat- cannot change the forum color scheme to black. It's most depressing.

We need a place kinda like the "What time/key is this song in?" thread, but for any kind of music theory issues and questions.

I'll be back when I think of something else.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 05, 2013, 03:51:28 PMWe need a place kinda like the "What time/key is this song in?" thread, but for any kind of music theory issues and questions.

This is the sort of thing you can already do... JaMaHa is talking about changes to the forum look and layout; i.e., color scheme, smileys available, text font, any buttons that don't already exist up there under your avatar, etc.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 05, 2013, 03:54:27 PMThis is the sort of thing you can already do... JaMaHa is talking about changes to the forum look and layout; i.e., color scheme, smileys available, text font, any buttons that don't already exist up there under your avatar, etc.
Right, right. We need a Gmail button!

I remember wishing there was an emoticon that isn't there but I can't recall what it was.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

EFitTrainr

There's another forum that I'm on that has various VG sprites used as smilies. That would be cool.
I like food.

Waddle Bro

EFitTrainr

I like food.

Waddle Bro

EFitTrainr

Posts on here: 1213

Posts on there, where I've been since I was 12: 673
I like food.

Waddle Bro

JDMEK5

Let's get back on topic guys. I like the idea of VG sprites as emoticons.

My Arrangements

Onionleaf

I do realise that I am (obviously) completely new to the site, but since you are planning on updating I might as well add some things that were on my mind. At least this might help the planning go a tiny bit further in your head :) (or disrupt it... you never know).

♦ I don't know about everyone else, but I find a lot of the font sizes to be way too small, especially in proportion to some of the other fonts. I don't think it is highly necessary for the quoted text to be so minuscule; most people would not type so many lines as to go over the default height of their post, so what reason is there for "saving space" like that? The menu bar at the top can also be made larger, it looks to be about the same size as the default font.
♦ When I click on a thread that has new replies since my last visit, it does not redirect me straight to the new post(s), is it supposed to do that? I sort of assumed that if you click on the "New" icon it would "snap" the screen to the first new post. It would be wonderful if I wouldn't have to scroll through the page to find the newest post (while reading all the small text on the dates). Even adding a little "star" or a bright little icon next to the date of the unread posts would help immensely.
♦ I'd also find it helpful if there were several different skins to choose from. For example, sometimes I find it more soothing to the eyes if there is a darker background (ie. dark blue) with white text. Even a darker main background with the current theme would frame the posts nicely, I think.
♦ More options to fill in on our profile pages, perhaps? Even something as simple as "Your Preferred Musical Instrument" or "Occupation" would be fantastic. Just so that we may learn something basic about the other members instead of having to figure it out by reading all the posts.
♦ One last thing - you can never have too smileys. :P

If I stay around a little bit longer, I'm sure I would become accustomed to the layout, but at the moment it has been quite awkward.