The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: Site features

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

Perhaps we could make a system that is exclusive to NSM, that everyone could know about, and that we could meet here or perhaps in another forum or other to discuss what the guidelines would be.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

AwesomeYears

Dudeman

Including a country, it seems. If Mashi's reasoning is anything to go by.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

12Mari0

My logic was that if we have a system pre-made that works, why not use it?
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 21, 2016, 04:04:47 PMAre these difficulty ratings known and accepted worldwide and can you determine what rating you are without an examiner? I'm getting the feeling that it would only help the few users that are in Australia, in which case it would require tons more work than it would be worth.
AMEB grades IIRC are similar to the british ABRSM grades, which would honestly be better.
ABRSM grades are damn near exactly the same as most US college grades, if not carbon copies. The 1-8 system also works well for the sheets here, since most sheets fall within 3-7. That said, Bespinben's fanfares would likely have the rating of 8+ on them, since he puts in just about everything, often making sheets very hard (though never unplayable!).
Idk how well it would work for the forums, but it might make things easier to assess for classical pianists getting into VGM.
That said, that's probably a minority of people. But I don't think it would be a terrible thing; just not horribly necessary. We've had discussions on difficulty ratings before. If you're looking to improve, as well, you can also look at my pet project, the NSM Pedagogy, which is still largely in the works but hopefully we can get some stuff done soon.
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 22, 2016, 05:50:05 PMAMEB grades IIRC are similar to the british ABRSM grades, which would honestly be better.
ABRSM grades are damn near exactly the same as most US college grades, if not carbon copies. The 1-8 system also works well for the sheets here, since most sheets fall within 3-7. That said, Bespinben's fanfares would likely have the rating of 8+ on them, since he puts in just about everything, often making sheets very hard (though never unplayable!).
Idk how well it would work for the forums, but it might make things easier to assess for classical pianists getting into VGM.
That said, that's probably a minority of people. But I don't think it would be a terrible thing; just not horribly necessary. We've had discussions on difficulty ratings before. If you're looking to improve, as well, you can also look at my pet project, the NSM Pedagogy, which is still largely in the works but hopefully we can get some stuff done soon.
In Canada for sure, we have the Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) grading system 1-10. These grading systems are subjective depending on where you are so I think the only valid grading system we could implement is one, as E.Gadd said, that we put together ourselves. That being said, these official grading systems have been tweaked over decades and decades by professionals who get paid to do it. I don't think a grading system is even necessary, really. If someone tries a piece, it's too hard, they give up and move on, etc. Works for me.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

12Mari0

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 26, 2016, 09:43:42 AMIn Canada for sure, we have the Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) grading system 1-10. These grading systems are subjective depending on where you are so I think the only valid grading system we could implement is one, as E.Gadd said, that we put together ourselves. That being said, these official grading systems have been tweaked over decades and decades by professionals who get paid to do it. I don't think a grading system is even necessary, really. If someone tries a piece, it's too hard, they give up and move on, etc. Works for me.

Why would we need to implement one ourselves; for everyone outside of the country that we may or may not pick, the system would be just as useful as a self-implemented system. There would be an added advantage to the users from the chosen country that wouldn't take away from the other users.
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

Zunawe

If we choose to implement a system, we would need to be as inclusive as possible, and we would need to be incredibly clear about which system we use. Otherwise, we're only confusing people who aren't familiar with the system. Creating a simple system would be the best option in my opinion (though it might require quite a bit of intuition). That way somebody could look at one number or color or whatever and be able to get a feel for the difficulty, perhaps without even knowing music. I believe a user voting system was mentioned at some point in the past, and while that is very difficult to regulate, it's an elegant idea.

The biggest problem I have with implementing a grade system established by an official music organization is that you could argue that a majority of people who use the site either won't know the system, will presume to know the system but be mistaken, or will be confused by the use of a system they weren't aware of. I think you guys may be overestimating the musical involvement of our average user as well. Heck, I'm hardly familiar with the rating system we use here, and I've been actively playing instruments for a decade.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Sebastian

There really isn't any need to implement a grade system.

braix

^To add onto this, I think that most  people could just look through a sheet or listen to the midi to get a feel of how difficult it is. At least, that's what I do.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Olimar12345

The previous two posts summarize this entire debate lol.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jub3r7

Next to the logout button, there should be one that allows a user to ban one's self from the website for an extended period of time

It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Dudeman

You could always privately message a mod and ask them to ban you quietly, if banning yourself really means that much to you. Adding it in as a default feature seems like a strange addition to the default hub.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

MaestroUGC

No, we decided a while ago against self-requested bans. You can just log out if you wish.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

unmotivated