NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Introducing the new sorting feature on the front page! Sort through sheets alphabetically or chronologically!

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Author Topic: The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum  (Read 36409 times)

Zunawe

• Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
Re: The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum
« Reply #600 on: September 08, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »

The general rule in my mind is that games that are clearly designed differently are different games, regardless of whether they have the same name and gameplay. All those versions of Tetris are then their own games. If they share a soundtrack, it's up to the song and discretion of the arrangers then to make different arrangements.

If the same game was intended to get a wide release on multiple systems, it gets a [MUL]. Metal Gear Solid V (multiple systems at once), Rocket League (ported to Xbox and then OS X/Linux after it gained popularity), and GTA V (intended release on PC was intentionally delayed 2 years after initial release), would fall under this category despite their differing types of releases.

Re-released, remastered, and remade games belong to their original console(s). None of the things on the Wii VC that were ported from previous systems deserve the [MUL] tag. Ocarina of Time has been remade and re-released too many times, but it will forever have the [N64] tag. Shadow of the Colossus, which was remade for the PS3 and is being remade again for the PS4 will only ever get the [PS2] tag.

There are a few other edge cases that might sneak by (e.g. Dark Souls was ported to PC after major success on console as a single package that had the DLC built in under the name Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition), but those rules seem to be relatively consistent from my experience.

Imagine yourself as a user. "I really want to play this Tetris music from the game I found on my Gameboy." Why should I be presented with NES sheets? Basically, different games are their own entity even if they have the same name. If you can call it a port, it probably doesn't need its own section.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Yug_Guy

• Flashman Funk
  • 3spoopy5u
    • View Profile
Re: The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum
« Reply #601 on: September 08, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »

I definitely agree with everything Zunawe mentioned above, but there is one edge case I've thought about quite a bit that might need to be discussed:

While today the music between games ported to multiple systems are identical given that they're made using mp3 files, or wav files or what have you, back in the day this wasn't possible since consoles were made with different hardware that made it harder to port music to. While I could name quite a few examples of this, the consoles I want to highlight are from the 16-bit era - the SNES and the Genesis. It was fairly common for studios to port their games to both the SNES and Genesis, which included the music. However, the Genesis used more traditional chiptune chips as well as FM synthesis, while the SNES had a more sophisticated chip that could replicate real instruments, meaning that there would always be something lost in translation when porting songs from one to another.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, take a listen to the same song on the Genesis, and on the SNES. Even if the song is still the same, the instrumentation makes them sound wildly different.   

Now to be fair, I haven't really found any songs that have any major differences between it's multiple versions (including the song above), but what happens if we find a song/game that does? And how does this affect some of the games that we already have on site? I remember I originally put Bubsy 1 in the SNES section because that's what I used as the basis for my arrangement, but should that really go there because it was also released on the Genesis too? Or are the soundtracks different enough to where the SNES version should get it's own section? Should we keep Earthworm Jim in the Genesis version because that's what most people expect, or do we acknowledge that it was a multiplatform title? And I'm only talking about two specific consoles, don't get me started on arcade ports vs. home console ports, or heaven forbid early PC games. *shudders*

idk, maybe I'm just overthinking things, but I might as well put it out for folks to see & discuss.
Personal Arrangement Thread Here. Other Arrangements thread here.

thank mr  skeltal     doot     
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.