News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmpharosAndy

both 4/4 and start in D major. First one stays there but the second uses some eastern-sounding scales and idk what key you use for that sort of thing.
innit

BrainyLucario

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on September 21, 2017, 06:25:23 AMboth 4/4 and start in D major. First one stays there but the second uses some eastern-sounding scales and idk what key you use for that sort of thing.
for like the whole song or does it start at a certain point? If so, when?
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: BrainyLucario on September 21, 2017, 05:25:23 AMSned hlep
need key sig and time sig for this

and the same for this

I agree that "Water Town" is in D major. You can use 4/4 for the meter, but I feel a somewhat strong pull toward 2/2 meter.
"Water Town" borrows a significant number of chords from D minor (e.g. C major, B flat major--the borrowing is prominent from 0:13-0:17), but the important cadences are still in D major, and long stretches of the theme are in D major.

"Day Travel 2", though...it's in 4/4 time, but this theme is in a hinterland between D major and D minor to me, and you can make strong cases for either. It doesn't help that there are prominent G#'s at 0:05-0:08 (implying D Lydian or "D over-sharp major"), then a flip to the D Phrygian Dominant scale from 0:12-0:16 (I normally use a D minor or even G minor key signature in this case, as the Phrygian Dominant is to harmonic minor as Mixolydian is to major/Ionian).
Sections like 0:25-0:33 and 0:51-0:59 change between so many keys in so short a time that I wouldn't change key signatures at those points.

BrainyLucario

Tobbeh99

I think the first one works well in 4/4 or 2/4 or 2/2. And probably is in D-major.

And the second one I quite sure it should be in D-major. Makes most sense with all the sharp tones.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

BrainyLucario

What about this one...i can already tell this may be really difficult to arrange let alone the key dig and time sig

Dekkadeci

Sounds like E flat major, 4/4, 8th-note swing, and 12-bar blues to me at first. It has a 4-bar intro (it has drum beats at first).

It follows the 12-bar blues less precisely later in the piece. It eventually stops using the 12-bar blues for some time.

The piece doesn't seem to switch keys, although it does use secondary dominants and end with a polluted tonic (something like Ebadd9, so an E flat chord with F on top).

EDIT: Had to correct my tempo/rhythm analysis.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BrainyLucario

Lol. The part that concerns me is what the piece is going to sound like without the drums, unless I can find a way to incorporate them, thank you,btw!

E. Gadd Industries

Wow, this place is dead. Anyways, I'm about halfway done with this replacement sheet and still have no idea what key this is in. It's like it switches every other measure or something.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Olimar12345

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on January 01, 2018, 02:09:24 PMWow, this place is dead. Anyways, I'm about halfway done with this replacement sheet and still have no idea what key this is in. It's like it switches every other measure or something.

What sheet?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Eb minor. Which I suppose should be written as D# minor.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]