News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Magic Mole on October 20, 2016, 11:21:32 AMWould someone mind telling me the key/time sig of this boi (it changes in the middle too):
Thanks!
Starts in D minor, switches to F sharp minor at ~1:50, switches back to D minor at ~2:05 (good job using an A major chord as a pivot). Note the D Dorian-like passages around ~1:38 and ~1:45.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 20, 2016, 04:19:12 PMAbout M.2, when the song is arranged in 12/8 time the simultaneous LH and RH makes sense. It's pretty clear that if you use 4/4 time, on M.2 beat 3 the LH plays a quarter-note triplet. However, if you replicate that same rhythm in 12/8 and also use an eighth-note triplet in the RH, we can see that they line up perfectly, just as they should:
Spoiler
[close]

I'm not sure what you mean about it sounding too slow in 12/8, but I'm pretty sure this is how it should sound after scrutinizing the original. Here's an example with a triplet metronome running:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38825902/ShareX/2016/10/timing%20example_1.mp4

First of all, M.2 wasn't really an issue, in fact it was the only time I was sure about the rhythm. All the other measures is where I wasn't sure about the rhythm, except for the later part which clearly has a 12/8 feel.

Listening more to the song. It seems like it's something in between a triplet and 16ths. Or like the second note, on the 2nd strong beat (2 or 4), seems a bit delayed so that the triplets/16ths gets faster.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Th3Gavst3r

After listening to this even more, I think the horn soloist just had bad tempo and kept rushing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At this point I'd just say pick whichever meter you like best, but judging from the bass rhythm and the triplets in the string section starting at M.10 I would personally pick 12/8. This is your arrangement after all though, so the decision is yours to make!

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 21, 2016, 01:39:36 PMAfter listening to this even more, I think the horn soloist just had bad tempo and kept rushing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At this point I'd just say pick whichever meter you like best, but judging from the bass rhythm and the triplet string chords starting at M.10 I would personally pick 12/8. This is your arrangement after all though, so the decision is yours to make!

I definitely agree with you that the rhythm really is dubious.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

braix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbzEjfZKFSA
I finished my arrangement of this song, but I have yet to put in a key signature. Help would be appreciated.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Dudeman

I'm getting F Major, but with a lot of variance because it's a Pokémon battle theme.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dudeman on October 22, 2016, 10:38:29 PMI'm getting F Major, but with a lot of variance because it's a Pokémon battle theme.
^This. I'm hearing bits of E Minor and A Major/Minor later on too.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Nep-Nep

Ok, here is the first one. The soundtrack for this pretty tricky for me and my main weakness are time sigs and key sigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeaoYNzgpw&list=PLiGvWycRgz6hNoJjlk71C_tLz22CeB2Sb

WaluigiTime64

Definitely 4/4. I'm pretty sure it's in D minor (one flat).
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Zeila

I just need the key sigs, thanks in advance!

WaluigiTime64

I feel like both of them are in A Minor, but with a lot of variation.

Altissimo

Oronoco

Hooray! More Ranger! You and FireArrow really made my morning.
I'd put it in 3/4. The flute melody begins on the and of 1, and the string chords fall on the off-beats. Cymbal crashes fall on the downbeat.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

WaluigiTime64

I'm only unsure about the first section's time signature. Something makes me want to say it's not 4/4 (such as the random 2/4 measures).

Dudeman

I think it's really just that: there's a 2/4 measure every 8 bars in the opening section. It's not frequent enough to warrant a completely different time signature imo.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book