News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Mm, I dunno, it sounds swingy to me. The problem is that the way I'm counting it, it seems like the sixteenths are the notes being swung, and not the eighths. I'm not sure how you'd notate that.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

The Deku Trombonist

Yeah! Green Garden! I've always liked this track

I'd put it in a slow 4/4 with swing 16ths.

Shadoninja

I would have it as a fast 4/4 with swing 8ths. have the tempo marking as half note = 110~
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

PetrifiedLasagna

After looking at all your suggestions, I am leaning towards shadoninja's suggestion.

I really could have done it either way, but I opted for a faster tempo since it is a lot less cluttered than it was. It is also more convenient since there is a marking for an 8th swing tempo, and it will be played back as expected.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sebastian

Green Garden. I love that one!

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on June 14, 2016, 10:30:25 PMI'd put it in a slow 4/4 with swing 16ths.
Personally, I'd go with this.

The Deku Trombonist

It's yrou sheet so obviously it's up to you what you do with it. But I'll just throw this out there anyway: Does beat 1 of bar 2, 4...etc (of your version) really feel like beat 1 when you listen to the track?

PetrifiedLasagna

hmmm, I know what your getting at. The song is definitely in 4/4, I overlooked that :P

I'll have to see what I can do about the tempo marking... Is it possible to create that kind of tempo marking in Finale?

The Deku Trombonist

If no one else can help, I should be able to mess around with it tomorrow night.

PetrifiedLasagna

http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1463/~/swing-16th-notes

I found this online. The description that it gives implies that it would also be possible to swing any note value (except whole and 64th), based on whatever the beat unit is. So in this case, to swing 16th notes the time signature would have to be changed to 8/8. I am not sure if this will work with an associated direction so that it can be saved to a mus file though...

Olimar12345

If you're going to use swing, you'd be better off just doing what shado said. It's unorthodox in common notation practice to swing any note value other than the eighth note.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 15, 2016, 05:31:42 PMIf you're going to use swing, you'd be better off just doing what shado said. It's unorthodox in common notation practice to swing any note value other than the eighth note.

I am definitely going to stick with the swing tempo. It looks a lot more organized with, than without.

Now I am going to go stick my head and the freezer for an hour or two. Who would have thought that I would find this discussion more confusing than matrix calculations! Of course, that means I am more likely to retain this knowledge for future reference. Thanks for all the input everyone.

PetrifiedLasagna

I was just doing some research on metre, and would it be more appropriate to use 4/2 time with this setup, or is it not that common? It counts the same as 4/4, but is just twice as long.

Olimar12345

Finally listened to it. I would not use 4/2 at all. Never would I see a funk-esque chart like this in a meter like 4/2. No need to over-complicate things.

Quote from: Shadoninja on June 14, 2016, 11:59:38 PMI would have it as a fast 4/4 with swing 8ths. have the tempo marking as half note = 110~

I would do this with the exception of putting it in cut time.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

The Deku Trombonist

If you want 4/4 with swing 16ths. Comes with bonus cleanup. Free delivery. Just 3 easy payments of $9.99. Global Deku Direct.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84117653/Assistance/Bomberman%2064%20-%20Green%20Garden.mus

Olimar: There are definitely plenty of charts out there with swing 16ths, and I've played quite a few myself.

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on June 15, 2016, 07:40:56 PMIf you want 4/4 with swing 16ths. Comes with bonus cleanup. Free delivery. Just 3 easy payments of $9.99. Global Deku Direct.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84117653/Assistance/Bomberman%2064%20-%20Green%20Garden.mus

lol, thanks Deku, Do you accept visas! :D
I spent forever trying to figure out how the bass for m7 flows.

I will now return to my hovel and arrange this song (finally!). I am probably going to invest in Finale soon, since I enjoy writing down music so much, both for arrangements as well as my own stuff.