News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Quote from: FireArrow on September 24, 2014, 07:42:21 PMC major is the tonic chord, but it's obviously a c minor scale. wut
First off, if C-major is the tonic chord, the key is C-major - no argument.
Also, it's wrong to say the underlying scale of this song is C-minor, because that only occurs on the chords that are total exceptions from the key and mode - in this case it's not even a mode, it's just C-ionian. So again, it's C-major.
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Quote from: Jompa on September 25, 2014, 02:33:46 PMFirst off, if C-major is the tonic chord, the key is C-major - no argument.
Also, it's wrong to say the underlying scale of this song is C-minor, because that only occurs on the chords that are total exceptions from the key and mode - in this case it's not even a mode, it's just C-ionian. So again, it's C-major.

Ok, sure. Im curious though, is this a normal composition style - using an inverse tonic chord for a chord progression common in another key?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

braix

I need the TS and Key :p

and I know this is the wrong thread, but for the "bum bum"(<-whatever im supposed to call it), should I take it out of the song or put it into the left hand? I dont see how it'll be playable but I dont really feel like taking it out of the song...I hope I'm making some sense >-<
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Jompa

4/4,
D-major,
and I have no idea what you're talking about.
Birdo for Smash

Olimar12345

Zoroark, are you referring to that synthetic bass thing that plays throughout? That can be notated if you want.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

braix

oh wait it can be played
never mind, my ears must be broken. x'D

and ty jompo
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

ThatGamer

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Jompa

The first one is in 4, in C-major mixolydian, with funky underlying swing eights.
The second one is in 3, in F-minor.
Birdo for Smash

JDMEK5

Personally I'd probably be inclined to slap a 12/16 time on that second one.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

ThatGamer

Alright, thanks guys! I'll start right away!
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

FierceDeity

I think you're interpreting Jompa's suggestion of 3 in a different tempo than I am. I'm thinking of it as dotted half note = about 72, i.e. it'd typically be conducted in 1. In which case, I'd recommend switching to 6/8 (dotted half note = dotted half note) at certain points of syncopation, because although the syncopation would be totally legible in 3/4, alternating between 3/4 and 6/8 isn't uncommon, and the syncopation would clearly be implying the latter, anyways.

Granted, a uniform 3/4 at that tempo (or even 6/8 at dotted quarter = 72) would probably still be preferable over 12/16 (assumedly in quarter note = 108), mostly because /16 meters are much less common and, in my opinion, no simpler for reading syncopations than more common meters with the same amount of beats. (Also, at that tempo, the underlying rhythm would have a near-constant split down the middle of the bar, which makes me wonder why not just use a /8 meter, if that's the way you're gonna go).

ThatGamer

Heh, thanks, but I gave up the 2nd one a while ago. Sorry to waste your time.

ThatGamer

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

ThatGamer