News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 03, 2013, 05:55:19 PMPhenac City is in 4/4, with the harp notes being eighth note tuplets.
This is right, but FireArrow, you could actually use 6/8 for this - actually I would prefer either that, or 12/8.
And the "song part" is definitely in 4/4.

Outer Space is in 12/8.
Birdo for Smash

Ricky

4/4 with triplets, 6/8 and 12/8 are far from the same even if they can sound quite similar. With 4/4 you have four quarter note beats and the pattern goes (S=Strong, M=Medium, w=weak): SwMw. When it's 6/8 you have 6 eight note beats and the pattern is: SwwMww. When it's 12/8 it's 12 eight note beats. It's something like SwwMwwMwwMww. That is at least if I have understood it right. I blame it on Lypur (Andrew Furmanczyk) otherwise. But either way it all depends on the context and 4/4 with triplets can be seen as equal to 12/8 sometimes.

Jompa

They all work fine.
It's just that when the harp constantly moves in tuplets, it's gonna look a whole lot more elegant in 12/8 (the beat pattern is the same as with 4/4, just with the tuplet eights).
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jompa on May 04, 2013, 03:39:57 AMThey all work fine.
It's just that when the harp constantly moves in tuplets, it's gonna look a whole lot more elegant in 12/8 (the beat pattern is the same as with 4/4, just with the tuplet eights).

This is also fine. I think 4/4 with tuplets could look just as good,. You could even begin in 6/8 and then switch the time signature later (though I don't recommend this, it might look awkward).
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Hmm, I'll try both and just see which one looks better. Thanks a ton guys!
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

spitllama

This should be really easy to recognize, but for some reason it isn't. I could have sworn it's 12/8, but the right hand comes in and screws everything up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCZkeg7a6Wg
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Jompa

That should be notated in 4/4, with the left hand part (or rythm part, or whatever you call that in english) just being notated in 8th tuplets.
Birdo for Smash

spitllama

Even though the right hand comes in on the fourth beat?
Submissions Page

Jompa

Well, I don't think it does. I think the right hand part starts at the second beat of measure#1.
^But even if that is just me, and it really does start on the fourth beat, then it would still be in 4/4 with tuplet eights in the left hand, just that a time change probably would do:P
Birdo for Smash

spitllama

Lol here is my sad attempt currently

You did a sort of pick-up, which makes more sense. I'm going to have to sacrifice one of those voices for 2 hands.

Thank you Jompa.
Submissions Page

Jompa

No problem!
It was kinda didicult ro hear where the beat was, but when I understood that the tuplets went A-B-E instead of E-A-B, it made sense.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 08, 2013, 06:24:31 PMI believe "Eterna Forest" from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl is in 5/8
^I know this is old, but I kinda reacted to this:P
Eterna Forest is just in 4/4, not any fancy stuff there. I think you just got the beat wrong, like I first did:)
Birdo for Smash

Yugi

Does this song have a time signature change?

EDIT: Nevermind it's all in 4/4

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

JDMEK5

Key signature please.

EDIT: Never mind. It's in C minor.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26