What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassman388

Quote from: FireArrow on April 09, 2013, 11:59:08 AMThe problem is I'm REALLY bad at counting (music wise.) I've always had trouble sight reading becuase I mess up the timing of notes, and my biggest obstacle in arranging by ear is figuring out note durations. I know, it's pathetic.

Your explanation for the time signatures really made something click in my head thouh. I don't know why I didn't see that before, but it makes sense to me now. Now I just need to practice.  :P

Bud, it's not pathetic. Just a bit of practice a day will help you solve this problem. If you have windows media player, then you should try slowing it down to hear where each beat falls. That's what I used to do when I couldn't determine where to place the beat.

JDMEK5

^Another good training method I used to do before I even got serious about music is just identify the time signature of something randomly on the radio.

To this day I can't go to a symphony without checking the time signature every 2 minutes. :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FireArrow

Quote from: Brassman388 on April 10, 2013, 01:44:20 PMBud, it's not pathetic. Just a bit of practice a day will help you solve this problem. If you have windows media player, then you should try slowing it down to hear where each beat falls. That's what I used to do when I couldn't determine where to place the beat.

I do slow down the song, but when I count, I'm unable to place the note (my brain can't multitask while counting music...) I'll keep trying though. I'll listen to midi's from the site, try to figure out the time signature, then check to see if I'm right.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate the help!
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jompa

Quote from: JDMEK5 on April 10, 2013, 01:51:08 PM^Another good training method I used to do before I even got serious about music is just identify the time signature of something randomly on the radio.

To this day I can't go to a symphony without checking the time signature every 2 minutes. :P
^I think that would be the best way!
Just counting along, or beat-boxing to any song you hear :) I think that helps making you comfortable with where the beats are.
I remember I did that a lot, about a year ago, when I started arranging.
Practicing with beat-boxing will especially make transposing and composing for drums and percussion a lot more comfortable, reliable and just better quality-wise.

It's like learning to improvise - you start off with scatting first, so you understand how to make an idea come to life in the shape of music.

Ninja'd
Quote from: FireArrow on April 10, 2013, 02:02:16 PMI'll listen to midi's from the site, try to figure out the time signature, then check to see if I'm right.
Yes, do that!
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Video game music is quite helpful for learning these types of things.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ricky

Well, I'm not that good at figuring out time signatures so could ask for a little help.

Is that in 3/4? Well, the way I'm thinking is that the guitar part goes like 1&2&3&, 1&2&3& and so on. If that's the case then the drum heard at least at the start seems to go slightly later than the the "and" after 3 or is possibly played at the "and".

Dudeman

The song appears to be in some sort of derivative of 3/4. The way the drum is playing, I'd put it in 6/8.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Jompa

I can't use YouTube right now, but all you have to do is couting the beats.
If there are three beats then it is in 3/4! If there are two beats with tuplet eights, then it is in 6/8.
I see you are discussing how the drum and the guitar makes you think it is in 6/8, but how the syncopations are accentuated has nothing to do with time signature, if that is what you are talking about.
Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

Quote from: Ricky on April 10, 2013, 09:36:14 PMWell, I'm not that good at figuring out time signatures so could ask for a little help.
Is that in 3/4? Well, the way I'm thinking is that the guitar part goes like 1&2&3&, 1&2&3& and so on. If that's the case then the drum heard at least at the start seems to go slightly later than the the "and" after 3 or is possibly played at the "and".

3/4

JDMEK5

Quote from: Dudeman on April 10, 2013, 09:48:12 PMThe song appears to be in some sort of derivative of 3/4. The way the drum is playing, I'd put it in 6/8.

How 'bout both? 9/8! :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

^Unfortunately, 9/8 wouldn't work well here XD

I would go for 3/4 myself.

Ricky

Then 3/4 it probably is. Thanks for the help!

FireArrow

Ok, so... this song has been giving me troubles forever:

I originally though it was 4/4, then settled on 6/8. Now, hoever, after practicing a bit, it feels like the intro is 6/8 and the chorus is 4/4.

The song part of the song sounds 4/4?

3rd part is a repeat.

No idea about the 4th part, haven't looked at it.

So, am I on the right track or completely off?

Oh, and just to get this out of the way now:

Lol, I have abosultely no idea what this is.

SlowPokemon

Phenac City is in 4/4, with the harp notes being eighth note tuplets.

FireArrow

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 03, 2013, 05:55:19 PMPhenac City is in 4/4, with the harp notes being eighth note tuplets.

Oh, thanks! I had it in 6/8 with tuplet eight notes (don't ask me how that works.)