News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

What are you listening to right now?

Started by Ricky, January 30, 2013, 09:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dudeman on May 18, 2017, 05:36:35 PMSee, you can be a good songwriter, but you still have to sing it. And his singing distracts me from everything else. For something to be a masterpiece, all parts have to work together, so what's so great about Bowie?
It's the same reason why I'm Beatles over Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones are classics, sure, but they're raw and rough around the edges. Fine for representing rock and roll, but the Beatles are just more pleasant to listen to. Music should be pleasant to listen to (or at least not be irritating), and I don't find David Bowie pleasant.
I suppose it is kind of a sound you need to be "predisposed" to in terms of your musical tastes (a lot of people prefer more conventional or smooth voices, like you seem to have expressed), but I find that there's just so much brilliant instrumentation in each and every song, and Bowie's voice is just as much an instrument as anything else. Every song is a unique story and contains so much emotion (well, not every, but I think this wording gets the point across). Just listen to the isolated vocal track for Five Years, and then the full song to know what I'm talking about. It's definitely not his best song, or even taken by itself the best song on the album, but in the context of the whole album it leaves a powerful impression.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SpartanChief17

Quote from: Dudeman on May 18, 2017, 05:36:35 PMSee, you can be a good songwriter, but you still have to sing it. And his singing distracts me from everything else. For something to be a masterpiece, all parts have to work together, so what's so great about Bowie?
It's the same reason why I'm Beatles over Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones are classics, sure, but they're raw and rough around the edges. Fine for representing rock and roll, but the Beatles are just more pleasant to listen to. Music should be pleasant to listen to (or at least not be irritating), and I don't find David Bowie pleasant.
Personally, I'm not very into modern music as much (pop-wise).  I do agree that Beatles are much easier to listen to that some other bands.  But everyone has different tastes. For example, I'd rather listen to a Hans Zimmer soundtrack over any "popular" music made this decade any day. 
Spoiler
Heck, it doesn't even have to be Hans Zimmer! I'm also fine with John Williams, Martin O'Donnell, Two Steps From Hell, and even Arata Iiyoshi.
[close]

Like I said, everyone has different tastes in music.
Spoiler
I am addicted to this song:
[close]

InsigTurtle

It's nice seeing different people's tastes. I personally find a lot of bands rather boring, to be honest. I like David Bowie mostly because his stuff doesn't put me to sleep. Perhaps it's the opposite of Dudeman's tastes, I like the "raw and rough" part. To me, a lot of classical music (as in music from the classical period) is too smooth and refined for my liking. You can debate all you want about the harmony, melody, and structure, but if someone simply doesn't like it, there's nothing you can do about it.

SpartanChief17

Quote from: InsigTurtle on May 19, 2017, 01:06:27 PMIt's nice seeing different people's tastes. I personally find a lot of bands rather boring, to be honest. I like David Bowie mostly because his stuff doesn't put me to sleep. Perhaps it's the opposite of Dudeman's tastes, I like the "raw and rough" part. To me, a lot of classical music (as in music from the classical period) is too smooth and refined for my liking. You can debate all you want about the harmony, melody, and structure, but if someone simply doesn't like it, there's nothing you can do about it.
Yeah...when ever it comes to stuff that is "classical"/orchestral, I think I prefer stuff written sometime after 1900.  My piano teacher keeps pushing for me to play more "classical" pieces, when really I'd like to play the songs I find on NSM and Musescore.
Spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

Speaking of David Bowie I finally got around to watching the Twin Peaks prequel movie

He's in that in case you didn't know (I didn't and I was really amused by it)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Dudeman, if you say Mega Man II's soundtrack is bad, you probably haven't heard this before. My ears.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

WaluigiTime64

why would you want to arrange it
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

LeviR.star

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on May 26, 2017, 07:04:14 PMwhy would you want to arrange it

I'm arranging the entire OST from Balloon Kid, which, for the most part, is pretty good. I'm tired of running into roadblocks and never getting back to old arrangements, so I'm training myself to not give up. That way, I can finish other OSTs like Kirby's Block Ball and Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge - V.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dudeman

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 26, 2017, 06:56:59 PMDudeman, if you say Mega Man II's soundtrack is bad, you probably haven't heard this before. My ears.
dear lord I wish you could have been here to see how badly I winced at that opening

InsigTurtle

swimswamit

Getting into Pink Floyd. Went from DSOTM to WYWH to The Wall, heading onto Animals and Meddle soon. This is probably my favorite off the wall, other than the trial:

Fits right between two strange, dark songs and livens it up. Seeing gilmour and waters that close together knowing how much they hated each other is great too, two fantastic musicians making great music wanting to go in completely different directions.

SpartanChief17

https://greenmp3.com/
I discovered this just today.  It lets you turn YouTube videos into Audio Files.  Just enter in the URL of the desired video, and then you will have just the sound from it.  From there, you can download it and listen to it ofline, online, anywhere.  Works on computers (and I'm pretty sure that it also works on smartphones, but idk).

Hope you guys enjoy!  ;D
Spoiler
[close]

mikey

unmotivated