News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Les Miserables

Started by K-NiGhT, January 12, 2013, 06:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Eh, Eponine is alright as a character. I've just never enjoy unrequited love sub-plots.

She had a great moment of catharsis, then got herself shot.

Good job, Slow, I for one adore multiple interpretations of the same worok. I have at least 4 verions of all nine of Beethoven's Symphonies, by different orchestras under different conductors. Each one offers something different and new. Did the film do everything well? No. But it did somethings better than some stage versions.

Russel Crowe isn't a great singer, let's be honest. He sings too much in his throat, but his acting sold his performance for me. Javert gets only 2 songs throughout the work, and most performers belt them out for their moment of glory. Crowe gave a more subtle performance which fit the character far better. His suicide is a great example: the man's world view has been shattered, he's trying to pick up the pieces but realizes that Valjean's genuine kindness towards him, a man who sees the world in black and white, doesn't fit that. He can't reconcile that fact and takes his own life.

It's a dark moment, full of inner turmoil; most performers miss this fact and choose it as their moment to shine. This is the difference between performer and singer. Then again, I've only seen a handful of performances, so my history with the work may be a bit skewed.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Nebbles

Ooh yes, my sister did the play her senior year, and wasn't pleased with the film for that reason, I guess. She saw it from a biased point of view.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

MaestroUGC

Nebbles

I believe she was a stage director, not an actual actor... it's been years since her high school days(she's 27 now).

SlowPokemon

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 15, 2013, 06:30:17 PMGood job, Slow, I for one adore multiple interpretations of the same worok. I have at least 4 verions of all nine of Beethoven's Symphonies, by different orchestras under different conductors. Each one offers something different and new. Did the film do everything well? No. But it did somethings better than some stage versions.

Yeah Crowe was probably the low point of the cast as far as singing goes, especially in "Look Down," but he did better than expected.

It turns out I have a piano vocal book of the musical that my grandmother bought me a few years ago. Best present ever that I never used for years.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nebbles

SlowPokemon

The "highlights" soundtrack does not include "Do You Hear the People Sing?" OR "Lovely Ladies" OR "The Thénardier Waltz of Treachery." How do you leave out those key songs?!?!

MaestroUGC

I've not read anything about a full score being released yet, which is a shame.

SlowPokemon

I know! There aren't any announcements for even an extended version of the soundtrack with the vocal pieces.

There are plenty of minor pieces throughout that aren't terribly important on a highlights album, but those three, particularly "Do You Hear the People Sing?" seem like strange omissions on an album with room for more music.

MaestroUGC

It was probably rushed, a quick cash in on the craze.

Nebbles

Do You Hear The People Sing? is my favorite song, and I'm really hurt it wasn't on the album...

Kman96

Here's a vid of my local Youth Symphony performing a Les Misérables medley...before I even cared about the musical -.- How naive I was back then...last Spring...Guaranteed, if I'd have seen a version like the most recent movie, I would have played this piece with WAAAAY more emotion...

I'm in the back on Snare/Ride Cymbal, with my lovely assistant Mekenzie on Bass Drum, and my otha peeps in the section there: the munchkins, and then the really tall Alex. EDIT: OH, and I forgot Tim, on the TYMpani.

Most of the other group vids uploaded on that channel are of our most recent concerts! I'll probably post some more vids of our group as the season goes on.
Party Hard!
[close]

MaestroUGC

See, that's why I always looked up the context of the pieces I performed back in choir. You can't fake knowing what each word meant.

Nebbles

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Nebbles on January 21, 2013, 09:29:17 AM....are you serious.
yes, he's serious. and it sounds awesome.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*