News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Les Miserables

Started by K-NiGhT, January 12, 2013, 06:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kman96

LOVE. THIS. MOVIE. I cried twice.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 12, 2013, 06:01:17 PMOn that note, Sacha Baron Cohen wasn't that bad; I hated him because of his character, rather than just hating him.
I was at first shocked that he was in it, but afterwards I thought that because of his personality, he actually did very well for his part.

also, I think I'm in love with Samantha Barks, the chick who played Éponine. oh my goodness, I just about bawled when she was killed. One of the only two lead chicks (and in my opinion, the incredibly more ATTRACTIVE one) was killed, and sacrificed herself for a guy she was in love with, yet he didn't care to notice her love...so sad...omg, I just feel so much for her character. I'm going to name my daughter Éponine (Nina for short :P) after her, in honor of her actions, which came straight from her heart.

but damn. the feels. the cries. the Samantha Barks. ;)
Party Hard!
[close]

MaestroUGC

The way she was killed was dumb. "I have to save my not boyfriend!" *points gun at self, instead of the easily do-able up like direction*

Yes, she's supposed to die, but the way in the movie was all kinds of stupid.

That said, she was fantastic as Éponine and I look foward to seeing her in more things. The only time I cried throughout the movie (and this is more due to the song than anything) was "Bring Him Home", it rings close to home for me.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Kman96

I didn't mention this either, but this was my first time witnessing the performance of this fantastic feature. I'd never seen previous movies, musicals, and really the only relation/encounter I'd had with Les Misérables was when my local Youth Symphony played a mash-up of some of the songs. Now I wish that I'd have seen a version of it, so maybe then I could have put more emotional feel behind my performance.

Good Stuff.
Party Hard!
[close]

K-NiGhT

I feel like "Bring Him Home" was out of Jackman's range. It was really high and felt sorta forced.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

SlowPokemon

Saw it, really liked it.

Hugh Jackman was a surprisingly good Jean Valjean, and I can't think of any person who is more the epitome of young Cosette than the little girl portraying her. Marius was fittingly bland, though "Bring Him Home" always adds something beautiful to his character.

Eponine always tugs at my heartstrings. Her unrequited love subplot is a bit teenage and cliche, but it's hard not to sympathize as she watches the man she loves run away with a girl who was able to escape the hell she lived in.

Anne Hathaway may have had the best performance, before the film relentlessly kills her off prematurely. Her performance of "I Dreamed a Dream" is one of the best I can recall.

Russell Crowe was a very surprising highlight, his performance of "Stars" really shining (no pun intended).

As expected, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter briefly stole the show as the innkeepers, the "Master of the House" sequence serving as welcome comic relief from the unbearably depressing plot.

It's not the best musical out there, but this was sure as hell a good adaptation of it. Fantine's death, Gavroche's death and especially the scene where a seemingly remorseful Javert bestows the body with a medal were all masterfully handled, and the overall greatness of the production (especially the "One Day More" sequence) make it easy to overlook the film's faults.

I was very happy with it, though Sweeney Todd is still my favorite musical. 8/10.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Kman96

I bought the soundtrack. I should be adding it to my iPod momentarily. Yay.
Party Hard!
[close]

Nebbles

The soundtrack is such a wonderful addition to my iTunes. I can't listen to I Dreamed A Dream without getting emotional, though...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

ALPRAS

I've seen the movie 3 days ago and I loved it!
The songs were awesome, and it was a surprise how many of those could really sing well! Except for Russel Crowe and Eddie Redmayne, their have a terrible voice... But Wolwerine can sing very well!!

About the songs, they also really really good. Everybody likes the "I dreamed a dream" song, but surprisingly (mostly because everyone said that it is a great song), I didn't liked it... It's not bad, but still, it was the song I liked less.
My favorites were "Look down", "The Castle in the Cloud", "Stars", "Drink with me" and the "epilogue"!

Nebbles

What? Eddie Radmayne had a good voice! He's been on Broadway before I think....

ALPRAS

I didn't liked it. His voice is terrible, the vibrato hideous... He makes his vibrato with the throat, it's painful for the ears!:P   

Nebbles

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Kman96 on January 12, 2013, 09:21:22 PMalso, I think I'm in love with Samantha Barks, the chick who played Éponine.

Saaaame heeeere

Although really I'm just in love with Eponine.

Kman96

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 15, 2013, 05:51:54 PMSaaaame heeeere

Although really I'm just in love with Eponine.
Yeah, I guess me too, Samantha Barks just put a pretty face on her. Éponine is a character I can really identify with myself...as can many, I would think. I just wish she could have lived, or at least turned the gun away from herself...meh.

Why must the hot ones always die first?!?
Party Hard!
[close]

Pit0010

I watched this last week. I was actually quite good! But I thought the beginning lingered on a little too long.

But everyone could actually really sing. When Anne Hathaway opened her mouth, I was so shocked.
Man she's good
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

SlowPokemon

It bugs me when people pan a movie musical because they're familiar with the original and can't see past anyone else's interpretation or performance of it.

I have a good friend who is sadly a total musical snob, she apparently really liked Les Mis but based on her ranting about it you'd never guess. She complained about the voices of Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, and of all people ISABELLE ALLEN. That's the girl who played young Cosette. Like seriously? It may not be pitch perfect but I can still like the performances for being raw and having a full orchestra with a high quality performance. Also she hated on Helena Bonham Carter's performance which I'm pretty sure was biased based on her hatred of the Sweeney Todd film.

To rant again about that, I loved her in that film, and I'm a HUGE fan of the stage musical. Angela Lansbury originally portrayed her as slightly insane and wacky, with a pitchy voice, which is great. Bonham Carter portrayed her as lovelorn, mopey and a very breathy singing voice. Which is great too. It fit the tone of the film better. I enjoyed both interpretations because I realize they can coexist. If you dislike the movie that's one thing. If you dislike it for being different than the musical, that annoys me.

[/rant]