iLikePiano's Arrangements - (1/4/17; Shadow of the Colossus "Counterattack")

Started by iLikePiano, December 15, 2012, 06:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikePiano

Hello all!

1/4/17:

I have been working on "Counterattack" from Shadow of the Colossus. I started it several months ago but had no time to finish it until now.
It is in the polishing stages now and it would be very helpful if someone could look at it to look for any issues with formatting or whatnot before I submit it to the site.

Shadow of the Colossus: "Counterattack" [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF]

I know some of the slurs need adjusting, I will get to that...

Some things I would like people to look for:
  • Are there any incorrect notes/harmonies/rhythms?
  • Is there any notes that could be added? (ex. filling in harmonies, adding missing notes)
  • Any notes that you think are completely unnecessary?
  • Was my choice of hiding most of the tuplet numbers to make the score look cleaner okay and would it all make sense to someone reading the score?
  • How can formatting be cleaner?
If there is anything you notice that could be fixed please let me know!

Thanks for any help!

Finished Arrangements:

Angry Birds:Shadow of the Colossus:

K-NiGhT

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

iLikePiano

Haha! Yeah, I've played it! It was also the starting point for my arrangement. So, thank you!

Sebastian

iLikePiano

Thanks you two! I don't plan on arranging anything else right now though... Arranging is very time consuming.
I thought about possibly attempting to arrange "U.B." from Parasite Eve sometime in the Summer. But that might be a very difficult project.

iLikePiano

Hey,
It's been over a year since I posted in here.
I would like some help with this arrangement of "Lakeside" from Shadow of the Colossus. It's very, very short. I think I have most of it pretty close to the original music but I know I'm not quite spot-on with the bass notes(the whole notes in the bass clef), it's hard to hear what those notes are in the original music.
Would it be possible for someone with a good ear to help me out with that? Thanks!

---Shadow of the Colossus: Lakeside --- [MUS] [PDF] [MID]

Here is a link to the original music: http://youtu.be/7xBj-skRxW0

iLikePiano

Hello all!

1/4/17:

I have been working on "Counterattack" from Shadow of the Colossus. I started it several months ago but had no time to finish it until now.
It is in the polishing stages now and it would be very helpful if someone could look at it to look for any issues with formatting or whatnot before I submit it to the site.

Shadow of the Colossus: "Counterattack" [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF]

I know some of the slurs need adjusting, I will get to that...

Some things I would like people to look for:
  • Are there any incorrect notes/harmonies/rhythms?
  • Is there any notes that could be added? (ex. filling in harmonies, adding missing notes)
  • Any notes that you think are completely unnecessary?
  • Was my choice of hiding most of the tuplet numbers to make the score look cleaner okay and would it all make sense to someone reading the score?
  • How can formatting be cleaner?
If there is anything you notice that could be fixed please let me know!

Thanks for any help!

Brassman388

None of the notes, as far as I can tell, are really wrong.

But what I do find unsettling is your use of octaves and layers. Where as in some places it's really effective, like mostly everything before measure 37, therein lies ranges for hands. I doubt you're Rachmaninoff meaning that intervals exceeding a tenths within the staff at the same time would be highly unreasonable. Measure 35, 37, 39, 45, 47, 55 and so on illustrate this arranging technique.

Measure 53 to the end, for me, doesn't require so many layers. It's confusing, to look at, and while I understand what it does for the early arranger, it does more injustice for the performer than anyone else; which is who we're writing for.

Other than that, it's pretty accurate tonally. Nothing as far as theory really concerned me.

iLikePiano

Thank you so much Brassman for taking the time to look through the arrangement!

I intended for mm. 35-36 to be rolled. I felt like marking a roll wasn't really necessary but maybe I should. As for mm. 37-38 and similar measures, the octaves in the RH are held with the pedal so it can jump up to play the descending tuplets. I have read through the arrangement at the piano several times and everything is perfectly playable.

Yeah you are right I can definitely clean up some of the layering. I will get on that.

Thanks again!