News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Movie Lovers?

Started by Super Zombie, May 01, 2008, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Yeah I didn't get any of that from watching it lol I didn't find anything "immaculate" about the movie
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Still though there are a lot of movies that I absolutely adore that others don't care for so it's just a matter of taste I guess ;D as long as no one's insulting my tastes or shoving it down my throat I don't mind at all!! We're all allowed to have opinions

MaestroUGC

The Avangers is the best movie ever. Citizen Cane can suck a d***.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 23, 2014, 04:37:58 PMThe Avangers is the best movie ever. Citizen Cane can suck a d***.
Actually Avengers is the second best movie ever.  Guardians of the Galaxy is the best movie ever, thank you very much.
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

I just thought it was a boring movie that was, more or less, a 2 1/2 hour action sequence. There was a total lack of an interesting plot, the characters are all nice and bland, there's absolutely nothing emotionally engaging in the whole movie, and the action really doesn't offer anything dazzling or visually mind-blowing, aside from from pretty good effects(which you'd expect from a move with that kind of budget). The story was basically three different scenes, Avengers all unite, they fight some dudes on a big floaty ship, they fight some alien dudes in New York. It's not a terrible movie, but it is a dumb movie. A really dumb movie.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

SFK for some reason your movie reviews always make me feel like you watched it while putting most of your attention on something else >:(
unmotivated

Maelstrom

It was ok. The special effects were good, the acting was good, but the plot and characters were too minimalistic

I guess my expectations are too high after Lord of the Rings

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 23, 2014, 07:08:01 PMSFK for some reason your movie reviews always make me feel like you watched it while putting most of your attention on something else >:(
Then please, instruct me on the film's finer intricacies which I seem to have missed.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

KefkaticFanatic

You will probably just be one of those people that dislikes things for arbitrary reasons that 90+% us won't understand.

It just does the "summer blockbuster" very well.  Overall flows nicely, script is witty and characters interact well.  Doesn't need some complex layered plot or deep character analysis or anything, just enough to be an enjoyable ride.

It's the kind of movie you go out with a group of friends to see and have a good time.  Not so much one you will be critically analyzing afterwards, but perhaps talking about some scenes or if nerdy enough relations to comics.

See: Independence Day, Air Force One

Also Nocturne, I actually don't know whether I can like one better because ahh they both are just great

me irl
[close]

mikey

Hey kefka did you notice that Peter Quill had 12% of a plan
and Iron Man told pepper to take 12% of the credit?
SFK
@SFK Avengers isn't a 3 act play.  It does a good job of introducing the avengers and actually sets up a conflict within the avengers- A power play between Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor.  Black Widow and Hawkeye have a past, and Hawkeye is under the control of Loki's staff- which, by the way, seems to have the power of an infinity stone, like the Tesseract.  Which is also set up in the avengers, and is expanded in Guardians.  Nick Fury brings along Bruce Banner and when Loki sees this he ALLOWS himself to get captured.  His plan is to turn Bruce Banner into the hulk.  That's pretty much scene one.  Plenty of witty comments too- "Listen well, brother-" *Iron Man crashes into Thor and carries him off* "I'm listening."
Thor: "You have no idea what you are dealing with!"
Iron Man: "Uh, Shakespeare in the park?  Does mother know you weareth her drapes?"
Audience: BURN
Iron Man: "That guy was playing Galaga.  Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did."
Robert Downey Jr. Etc. etc.
Your "lame scene 2 where they fight some dudes on a ship" also contains one of the important turning points of the movie- Agent Phil's death.  This sort of gets the avengers to start working together, with some help/trickery from Nick Fury.  The hulk falls from the sky and lands somewhere far away and thor gets trapped in a glass dome in free fall.  Still a couple of witty comments but this is by far the most conflict-filled part of the movie.  Natasha smashes Hawkeye's head in and he's fixed all of a sudden.
"Suit up."
"So that's what it does." *dies*
"Scene 3" where all of a sudden I guess they're teleported to new York because according to you this had 3 parts, is the main action scene.  Has the epic music, the epic smashes, and you can see them starting to lose to the endless wave of Chitari.  Not only that, but Nick Fury's directors sent a nuke straight toward New York.  The wave of minions dies down for a while and you see bruce banner puttering in on a motorbike.  ("Son, you've got a condition.")  They are able to hold back the chitari for a while, but they can't hold on forever.  Worse, that nuke from earlier is still coming in.  Referencing the power play from earlier, Iron Man is willing to sacrifice himself and carries the nuke through the wormhole (which, of course obviously sprang out of existence from nowhere according to you) and also has a sad moment with Pepper, also kind of ironic too.  Natasha closes the portal with Loki's staff, (what portal?) and of course theatrically on target iron man makes it back through the portal just in time for it to close.
"I AM A GOD!"
*smashes Loki into the floor*
"Puny God."
"Hey you guys ever had Schwarma?"
[close]
Also Avengers theme is A++
tldr don't diss marvel or I get mad  ;D

@maelstrom I don't know if you count this as anything but Avengers made nearly twice as much box as any of the LoTR movies did, in a time where fewer people actually go to theaters.
Yeah.
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Dude if you're trying to discredit LOTR I'll stop you there you will not succeed

Maelstrom

Yeah, more than half the great lines in the avengers were from Robert Downey jr.

KefkaticFanatic

I don't think there's anything wrong with that

me irl
[close]

SuperFireKirby

I will say Robert Downey Jr is absolutely beautiful, no matter the role. And Nocturne, maybe you should consider that when LoTR came out, there was no 3D or D-Box and their correlating up charges, and regular movie tickets were twice as cheap as they are now. If you're suggesting that the Avengers is better than LoTR, than no. Just no. It's not. Ever.

Also, Kefka I know it's supposed to be a "fun" movie and such. It's the reason I don't bother trying to figure out Pacific Rim or Godzilla, which are dumb movies in their own right(dumb, but fucking BAD ASS). But there difference is I actually had fun watching those movies. Avengers was boring to me, basically that's what it comes down to.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 24, 2014, 05:32:32 PMI will say Robert Downey Jr is absolutely beautiful, no matter the role. And Nocturne, maybe you should consider that when LoTR came out, there was no 3D or D-Box and their correlating up charges, and regular movie tickets were twice as cheap as they are now. If you're suggesting that the Avengers is better than LoTR, than no. Just no. It's not. Ever.

Also, Kefka I know it's supposed to be a "fun" movie and such. It's the reason I don't bother trying to figure out Pacific Rim or Godzilla, which are dumb movies in their own right(dumb, but fucking BAD ASS). But there difference is I actually had fun watching those movies. Avengers was boring to me, basically that's what it comes down to.

I think I agree with all of this. Even the Robert Downey Jr. part.