News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

Movie Lovers?

Started by Super Zombie, May 01, 2008, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Maze Runner just looks like another Hunger Games wannabe. Not that I have a super high opinion of The Hunger Games, the movies are alright, but "teens in a dystopian future fighting for freedom and shit" is definitely the dominant trope for movies these days, thanks to The Hunger Games success.

Also, highly anticipating October 10th now. Whiplash looks SO GOOD.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 01, 2014, 04:23:24 PMReally? I didn't like it that much. It just seemed too cliched for me. :P But I'm stuck seeing the movie 'cause I couldn't think of anything else to give her.
I loved the book.
And what do you mean cliche?
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 01, 2014, 06:58:28 PMMaze Runner just looks like another Hunger Games wannabe. Not that I have a super high opinion of The Hunger Games, the movies are alright, but "teens in a dystopian future fighting for freedom and shit" is definitely the dominant trope for movies these days, thanks to The Hunger Games success
Different
Divergent, Maze Runner, and Hunger Games are all very moderately different.
It's like calling The Hobbit and Twilight a Harry Potter wannabe
Maze Runner is essentially about lab rats, nothing about freedom fighting.
And Divergent was a utopia, the Blue clan just usurped that.  Not freedom fighting.
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 01, 2014, 08:31:06 PMI loved the book.
And what do you mean cliche?Different
The maze was a nice idea. But think about the plot points. The amnesiac hero is introduced, thus giving a reason for explaining every intricacy rather than just showing how it works. The hero decides he wants the hardest and most important job, but finds out he needs years of training. He makes a stupid/reckless choice which gets him the job no newcomer should have gotten. He then proceeds to solve mysteries in a short time period that nobody had figured out before, despite them living there much longer. I can't remember where I also saw this, but it seems pretty common.

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 02, 2014, 07:18:27 PMI can't remember where I also saw this, but it seems pretty common.
Sounds like a contradiction to me
I can't remember where, but it's common
trust me guys
and the reason he could solve everything was because
Spoiler
he helped design it lol
[close]
lol
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

are you ready for the hypest shit cause I have it right here

me irl
[close]

Maelstrom

mikey

Biggest point of that was X-Men confirmed
QUICKSILVER HYPE
MARVEL FANBOY INCOMING
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

am i the only one who thought the avengers kinda sucked

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 23, 2014, 01:49:43 PMam i the only one who thought the avengers kinda sucked

I thought it kinda sucked too. I would never watch that movie again.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 23, 2014, 02:23:58 PMI thought it kinda sucked too. I would never watch that movie again.
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 23, 2014, 01:49:43 PMam i the only one who thought the avengers kinda sucked
Sheesh! I thought it was good. Whats wrong with it you dont like?

KefkaticFanatic

I'm actually sort of curious as to why you two have such strong negative opinions; I don't think the discussions has ever gotten more complex than "i dont like that thing everybody else likes" with everyone else going "o wow how could u" so if you had something more specific I would be interested to hear it o:

me irl
[close]

Sebastian

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 23, 2014, 02:39:38 PMI'm actually sort of curious as to why you two have such strong negative opinions; I don't think the discussions has ever gotten more complex than "i dont like that thing everybody else likes" with everyone else going "o wow how could u" so if you had something more specific I would be interested to hear it o:
I agree

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 23, 2014, 02:39:38 PMI'm actually sort of curious as to why you two have such strong negative opinions; I don't think the discussions has ever gotten more complex than "i dont like that thing everybody else likes" with everyone else going "o wow how could u" so if you had something more specific I would be interested to hear it o:

What did you even like so much about it tho like I found myself zoning out and it was fine and mildly entertaining but it has no value beyond a popcorn movie so I don't know why people keep hyping it up. The same goes for every marvel movie, it's not torture to sit through by any means but there is absolutely nothing about them that sticks with me at all
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

I'm sorry for you.  I'll just quote one of the various reviews because otherwise I would probably just be paraphrasing it

QuoteUltimately, it all comes back to Whedon: His clear vision for each character and how they might be profitably intermingled; his unexpected knack for action choreography; his funny, tender, immaculately constructed script.

me irl
[close]