News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Movie Lovers?

Started by Super Zombie, May 01, 2008, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 23, 2014, 05:32:32 PMlargely was faithful to the book,
I heard the complete opposite? Then again I haven't read the book in a few years or seen the movie

blueflower999

Largely was faithful. A few character roles are changed and the climax gives a bit more detail than the book does, but I feel as if the changes had purpose rather than just altering things for the sake of altering things. I've seen a lot worse adaptations.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Nebbles on August 22, 2014, 04:47:18 PMI saw Guardians of the Galaxy though, A+ movie. I loved every second of it.
I saw it today; I completely agree. So many great scenes.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 23, 2014, 10:56:16 PMI saw it today; I completely agree. So many great scenes.
The few people who said they didn't like it were probably lying because they still laughed and said they loved that part when I quoted any scene with Rocket in it
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

Nocturne's fangirl level is maxed out

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

unmotivated

Waddle Bro

I'm just about to start my indie movie festival that begins in Helsinki today and the first movie I'm gonna go see is this:
Really excited about this, I hear Whiplash has the most epic climax.

SuperFireKirby

Holy moly that looks good.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Waddle Bro

It was reaaaaaaaally good, like asdfghjkl good.

SuperFireKirby

<3<3<3 J.K. Simmons. Can't wait to see it

BlackDragonSlayer

I recently watched both the 2013 and 1974 film versions of The Great Gatsby; overall, I'd say that the 2013 version better captured the feel of the book, although it's still lacking in some areas (using modern music, for example, is a very jarring contrast in tone; building on that point, the beginning half-or-so has a completely different feel than the latter part, as if the director wanted to go in one direction for the mood of the film, but changed his mind part of the way through, yet didn't bother to redo the first part at all).

However, although the beginning scenes of the 1974 version capture the feel of the book better than those of the 2013 version (right up until the point where Nick first meets Gatsby- at that scene, it stops), the rest of the film is lacking. Completely unnecessary rearrangements of/additions to various parts of the book are very frustrating (an example being the earlier-mentioned scene of when Nick meets Gatsby for the first time: instead of bumping into him during the party, Gatsby has one of his servants bring him up).

Cast-
Jay Gatsby: Leonardo DiCaprio > Robert Redford
Nick Carraway: Tobey Maguire = Sam Waterston (I didn't really prefer one over the other)
Daisy Buchanan: Carey Mulligan > Mia Farrow (only slightly, though)
Tom Buchanan: Joel Edgerton >>>>> Bruce Dern
Jordan Baker: Elizabeth Debicki < Lois Chiles (both films seemed to downplay Jordan's role)
George Wilson: Jason Clarke < Scott Wilson (only slightly, though)
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

@SFK, Whiplash comes out in the US on October 10th!

mikey

The Maze Runner.
I still haven't seen it but jeez that book is good.  I hope the movie is just as good.
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

All of you watch American Beauty please and thank you bye
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 01, 2014, 12:35:48 PMI still haven't seen it but jeez that book is good.
Really? I didn't like it that much. It just seemed too cliched for me. :P But I'm stuck seeing the movie 'cause I couldn't think of anything else to give her.