Movie Lovers?

Started by Super Zombie, May 01, 2008, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

The Kings Speech was AMAZING! Definite top 10.

I've been watching the disney movies of my youth for what I missed when I was a kid... looking at dialogue rather than songs and pictures.

SWMadness

So last week I actually got around to watching the latest Pirates of the Carribean movie and I was pleasantly surprised.

Granted, about 75% of the plot didn't make a lick of sense, but I was having too much fun to care. My only real complaints besides that are that the obligatory romantic sub-plot was sappy and forced between two of the flattest named characters in the film, and Blackbeard really doesn't live up to his fearsome reputation.

But other than that, it was worth eight bucks to see (not in 3D, 3D sucks as always, but the regular screening is good).

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SWMadness on June 30, 2011, 12:31:22 PMSo last week I actually got around to watching the latest Pirates of the Carribean movie and I was pleasantly surprised.

Granted, about 75% of the plot didn't make a lick of sense, but I was having too much fun to care. My only real complaints besides that are that the obligatory romantic sub-plot was sappy and forced between two of the flattest named characters in the film, and Blackbeard really doesn't live up to his fearsome reputation.

But other than that, it was worth eight bucks to see (not in 3D, 3D sucks as always, but the regular screening is good).

^thank you, that movie was not as awful as most make it out to be
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SWMadness

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 30, 2011, 12:55:27 PM^thank you, that movie was not as awful as most make it out to be

It still fell victim to a lot of the pitfalls of the previous two movies, what I named in the above post, but the major difference is that while it was over two hours long, it didn't really feel like it this time.

Dead Man's Chest and At World's End just really started to drag after a bit, but the pacing in this movie was MUCH improved.

SlowPokemon

So I'm DVRing Inception; it's on tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to watching it.

SuperFireKirby

*PREPARES FOR EPIC LETDOWN POST*

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Nebbles

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 23, 2011, 06:30:03 PMSo I'm DVRing Inception; it's on tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to watching it.

I really liked Inception :D Hopefully you will too.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

KefkaticFanatic

It's quite a good film, it's just that since there are rarely really *good* films anymore people freaked out and thought it was the best thing ever, hence the overrated stigma it has with some groups.

me irl
[close]

FallenPianist

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on August 24, 2011, 12:44:08 AMIt's quite a good film, it's just that since there are rarely really *good* films anymore people freaked out and thought it was the best thing ever, hence the overrated stigma it has with some groups.
This. So much.

I don't mind watching a movie only for the special effects and explosions, but i also love to think and try to understand what's happening in a movie that actually have a storyline (i.e. Inception)

SuperFireKirby

Watch any movie from the 1930's and 40's and you'll never find modern movies adequate again.

Some of my favorites:
Citizen Kane,
The Hunchback of Notre Dame,
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town,
It Happened One Night,
Random Harvest,
Make Way For Tomorrow   

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

I enjoyed it immensely. Not as huge of a mindfuck as everyone made it out to be but still very interesting. There were some amazing scenes in there, but I won't post spoilers as to which ones I liked best.

Great. 8.75/10

Nebbles

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 24, 2011, 07:35:28 PMI enjoyed it immensely. Not as huge of a mindfuck as everyone made it out to be but still very interesting. There were some amazing scenes in there, but I won't post spoilers as to which ones I liked best.

Great. 8.75/10

Yeah, I honestly understood the film the first time around :B I didn't have to "watch it twice" or whatever else people said.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

KefkaticFanatic

It really is good, the problem is all these derpy old-film elitists that seem to have this idea that because there are lots of bad films now every film is bad and can never be as good as the GOOD OL CLASSICS.

me irl
[close]

SuperFireKirby

There are still amazing movies being put out now a days but there's so few of them compared to all the shit that gets shoveled into the movie theatres that it's easy to forget sometimes.

SuperFireKirby

Just saw MASH for the first time. An amazing comedy aboot the Korean War. Definitely watch it if you ever get the opportunity.