News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Music ed. vs music performance

Started by starrgrl24, November 20, 2012, 09:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrgrl24

I'm switching to BM in keyboard performance instead of BS in music education general/vocal. I just get take more exciting courses as a performance major. :) I'm kinda skeptical though, I do want a job in the future. lol  The 100% employment is really making me stay in the program.

Music education basically requires that you take a bunch of general education and music education courses along with your other music requirements. But I am really not liking the music education degree program. I honestly find it very tedious. There are many more exciting music courses you can take as a music performance major! You also get more practice time as a performance major. :) Besides, I can see myself more as a private piano instructor. Yet, people are saying that a music education degree is the way to go.

Would you agree, or is it possible to find success with a bachelor degree in performance? Or in more vague terms, is it best to go after your dreams and do what you love or to take the easy route and be safe? :P

It really seems that music schools nowadays are focusing more on the music education curriculum instead of the performance curriculum. They are constantly advertising about the benefits of being a music education major....and I've visited several universities and went to many school website all saying the same thing: 100% employment.

I like chocolate. :3

JDMEK5

I've heard that if you're going into music, you either make it big or make nothing at all. Education is probably much more stable as a career than performance.

And especially since nobody can appreciate good music these days... They're all too busy blasting the bass on their rap. The audience for performance has never been smaller.

Quote from: starrgrl24 on November 20, 2012, 09:43:09 PMI can see myself more as a private piano instructor. Yet, people are saying that a music education degree is the way to go.
If you're going to teach, I'd strongly suggest taking the ARCT in teaching. (It's not actually called "teaching" but that's what it is)
There's also an ARCT in performance which is way more demanding as far as actual practical material goes, but teaching is much more stable than performing.

Quote from: starrgrl24 on November 20, 2012, 09:43:09 PMIs it best to go after your dreams and do what you love or to take the easy route and be safe? :P
I've asked the same question to so many people so many times I've lost count.
The best tip I recall getting in return for that question is from my grandmother: "If you really enjoy something, it will be easy."
She continued to tell me basically what my mom told me: "You should keep another -more stable- job besides music. Unless you strike it big."*

*Extreme paraphrasing
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26