Started by Sebastian, October 19, 2012, 08:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you see this?

Yes
Yes

Sebastian

Dry Dry Ruins from Paper Mario
[ZIP]

Please PLEASE tell me if there is anything wrong with it. I want it to be perfect :)

Original:

FierceDeity

I forget what the name of the scale used in this piece is, but it's certainly not G major or E minor XD
While I forget the exact scale, I'm 99% certain that this be written in C minor. And yes, that does mean that the E natural in the melody should be an Eb instead (as it is now, it sounds, er...interesting, haha). You should generally be suspicious when your key signature is either G major or E minor, and the first several bars are outlining a C chord. It's also kind of suspicious when the entire second half of the song is covered in accidentals XD writing it in C minor would mostly take care of that (using the flat enharmonic equivalents for every sharp note besides F#). Also, only use Db, not C# haha; you switched between them a lot, and I'm not sure why.

Make sure you have the same articulation for bars 8-10 in the bassline as for the rest of that figure.

The tempo should be faster; also, you should include a tempo marking, haha.

That's all I have time to look at right now, I'll probably look at it again later.

Sebastian

Jompa

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 19, 2014, 05:27:45 PMIt's also kind of suspicious when the entire second half of the song is covered in accidentals XD
Not to start a discussion, but it isn't necessarily right to think that loose accidentals = wrong key signature.
But it's good to be suspicious because of it!, because this way of thinking definitely works in the absolute most of cases, like with this song.
Though, with a song that's in some mode, loose accidentals are bound to appear (though they probably won't cause that big of a deal, as most of the most common modes don't have that many loose accidentals) (this is the way of thinking as long as that mode isn't just the product of modulating to a different tonic but not changing the scale, which happens quite a bit in classical music).
But some modes use a bunch of loose accidentals. For example, if I were to write in the mode of C freygish, I'd have no set accidentals, and instead have loose A-flats, B-flats and D-flats, and seeing those accidentals would make some suspicious of wether it was right to just use C-major for the key signature. (me using freygish as an example is a bit stupid, as people usually modulate to freygish on the dominant step, after an original key in harmonic minor has been established, which makes it kinda pointless/annoying to actually follow it up by changing key signature, so in most practical cases freygish doesn't even get it's own key signature, but if the song itself starts in freygish, my way is the way to do it)
-------
Looking at the arrangement, I can of course see a bunch of accidentals that shouldn't be there, mainly because the key signature should be C-minor, like Fierce said. I believe those G# and D# will go away and automatically turn into Ab and Eb when you do that, but if that doesn't happen you'll have to go through your sheet carefully and fix everything.
Also, when that happens, you might wanna use a B-doubleflat instead of an A in that last measure.
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Thanks! Is that stuff (key sig., articulation, tempo marking and tempo) the only stuff wrong? Cause if it is, thats great :)

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Sebastian

Jompa

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 19, 2014, 05:27:45 PMAnd yes, that does mean that the E natural in the melody should be an Eb instead

And in measures#8-#10, in the left hand, use C# instead of Db. Parenthesize the next measure's C if you find it necessary.
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Sebastian

Whale Ride  by mariolegofan & PianoPlaya from Paper Mario
[ZIP]

I redid this one.
Please tell me if there is anything wrong :)

Sebastian

Aaaand is this right so far (club 64): https://www.dropbox.com/s/mll3ut8k5tiwxf5/club%2064.mus

And should I just do the half notes for the bass or..?

Original:

Jompa

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 21, 2014, 12:10:58 PMWhale Ride  by mariolegofan & PianoPlaya from Paper Mario
[ZIP]
From my, a-guy-who-has-never-heard-the-original-song's point of view, it seems perfect. Lovin' that Czechoslovakian feel you've seemingly captured.
Quote from: mariolegofan on January 21, 2014, 12:32:52 PMAaaand is this right so far (club 64): https://www.dropbox.com/s/mll3ut8k5tiwxf5/club%2064.mus
And should I just do the half notes for the bass or..?
Yeah, that's right so far.
The bass; if you're only going to have melody+the bass (and without the chords), it's going to be a very lacking arrangement, if you get what I mean.
You have to include chords in this, pretty much. You could do the bass-on-1-and-chords-on-2-thing. I think that's as good as it's gonna get on a piano.
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Quote from: Jompa on January 21, 2014, 12:53:13 PMFrom my, a-guy-who-has-never-heard-the-original-song's point of view, it seems perfect. Lovin' that Czechoslovakian feel you've seemingly captured.Yeah, that's right so far.
It wasnt ALL me :)

Quote from: Jompa on January 21, 2014, 12:53:13 PMThe bass; if you're only going to have melody+the bass (and without the chords), it's going to be a very lacking arrangement, if you get what I mean.
You have to include chords in this, pretty much. You could do the bass-on-1-and-chords-on-2-thing. I think that's as good as it's gonna get on a piano.
Ok
Ill go with that

Sebastian

Pretty Quick :)
Paper Mario
Forever Forest (Replcement) NEW!!!
[ZIP]

Original:

Quote from: Jompa on January 21, 2014, 02:05:42 AMAnd in measures#8-#10, in the left hand, use C# instead of Db. Parenthesize the next measure's C if you find it necessary.

Paper Mario
Dry Dry Ruins Fixed
[ZIP]