News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueflower999

Ben Shapiro's an absolute savage and following his Twitter was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Bloop

the first video i saw of him was about transgenderism and abortion and i immediately hated him

Shouldn't have expected less though

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Ben Shapiro knows how to market himself, and he has decent debate presence, that seems pretty obvious. But when it comes to actual policy and ideas... again, comparing healthcare to furniture lol
what is shitpost

PlayfulPiano

Dude

PlayfulPiano

From what I've heard through the whole wikileaks situation:

-Wikileaks convinced Jr. to 'leak' tax returns info in the benefit of making wikileaks look impartial and not pro-russian and pro-trump, using the term pro-russian specifically
-Wikileaks wanted Jr. to publish a talking point against Clinton, and Sr. made that point only 15m later
-If Sr. didn't win the election, Wikileaks suggested to Jr. that Sr. didn't concede and made a hissy fit to delegitimize the election
And probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting/missing.

Welp. Just.... welp.

Tobbeh99

ok... so the US is now Russia? Let me explain: I remembered that Russia had some law that made environmentalist organisations had to be registered/called something like "Foreign agents/spies" or some stupid shit like that. And now this, in the US! Don't care that much. And RT is pretty good if you ask me, both good and entertaining news (hehe xD).
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

E. Gadd Industries

Mmmmm I don't think it's possible for two nations to merge into one. Some of their policies could mirror each other, but otherwise, there's still a difference between the two nations. That being said, I haven't watched the video, but I currently am in a place where I can't.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on November 14, 2017, 04:20:55 AMMmmmm I don't think it's possible for two nations to merge into one. Some of their policies could mirror each other, but otherwise, there's still a difference between the two nations. That being said, I haven't watched the video, but I currently am in a place where I can't.

y, I don't think they'll ever merge (the thought haven't gotten to me). And there are a whole bunch of obvious differences, but y people thought Russia/Putin's laws were stupid, and then now, on the other side, this.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on November 14, 2017, 03:53:55 AM

ok... so the US is now Russia? Let me explain: I remembered that Russia had some law that made environmentalist organizations had to be registered/called something like "Foreign agents/spies" or some stupid shit like that. And now this, in the US! Don't care that much. And RT is pretty good if you ask me, both good and entertaining news (hehe xD).

I don't really think it's trustworthy to listen to state-run media based on Russia... when there is currently a huge investigation into how Russia was meddling / manipulating the US election & governmental officials.

Nooot to mention that we just had the recent leak about how Wikileaks was concluding with Donald Trump Jr., specifically saying that Wikileaks is trying to not appear as "pro-russian", which is pretty telling.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Whether or not they're trustworthy, making them register as a foreign entity is still a blow to the first amendment. To be clear, they made RT *America* to register as a "foreign agent".

This is blatant government crackdown on news agencies.

Whether or not they're accurate is irrelevant; Breitbart posts shit about Pizzagate and similar non-existent scandals on the daily, but they have the right to exist.

By the way, for those who cry "state run media"; what is CNN, then? Their owner contributes money to politicians on the regular. I don't remember a single "outstanding media outlet" that was against the Iraq War..
what is shitpost

PlayfulPiano

For those who are in the US, please call your representatives for NetNeutrality!
www.battleforthenet.com

Tobbeh99

For some reason I've been thinking about nuclear energy/power (I have no clue why I've gotten into that, but y..). And there's a thing in the environmentalist groups that they are against nuclear energy (probably not as much as coal plants, but they still have a negative attitude towards that). And I've been skeptic towards that, because I've had the feeling that nuclear plants produce so much energy that it's hard to replace them with something. And it turns out that in Sweden we have 3 plants with 10 reactors (we used to have 4 plants but one got closed down), and those plants produce 40% of the total energy in Sweden! Hydroelectric plant produce pretty much exactly the same, 40%, and wind power stations produce around 15%. So I think it would be hard to replace all of the nuclear energy with other alternatives like water, wind, solar, waves, but it might be possible, I'm not an expert. The obvious reason why to replace the nuclear plants is because of the danger with them. Although I think they're kind of safe if you have both a very solid construction of them (the safety seem to grow with time, and seem to be a key focus area when improving nuclear plants) and have the right area (the Fukushima disaster was caused by an earthquake).

Looking at some facts about nuclear energy was quite interesting. As the US apparently have the most amount of nuclear reactors, but France (being at 2nd place) are the most reliant on nuclear energy in % count. I thought Russia relied a lot on nuclear energy, but it turns out they are on like 4th place (although that's pretty high, but it isn't number 1). Here's some facts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_by_country

What do you guys think about nuclear energy? Should we try to completely close the reactors down and look for alternative ways of making energy, or should we keep some and then have a mix with other energy sources? 

10/10 tobbeh

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on November 28, 2017, 04:19:47 AMFor some reason I've been thinking about nuclear energy/power (I have no clue why I've gotten into that, but y..). And there's a thing in the environmentalist groups that they are against nuclear energy (probably not as much as coal plants, but they still have a negative attitude towards that). And I've been skeptic towards that, because I've had the feeling that nuclear plants produce so much energy that it's hard to replace them with something. And it turns out that in Sweden we have 3 plants with 10 reactors (we used to have 4 plants but one got closed down), and those plants produce 40% of the total energy in Sweden! Hydroelectric plant produce pretty much exactly the same, 40%, and wind power stations produce around 15%. So I think it would be hard to replace all of the nuclear energy with other alternatives like water, wind, solar, waves, but it might be possible, I'm not an expert. The obvious reason why to replace the nuclear plants is because of the danger with them. Although I think they're kind of safe if you have both a very solid construction of them (the safety seem to grow with time, and seem to be a key focus area when improving nuclear plants) and have the right area (the Fukushima disaster was caused by an earthquake).

Looking at some facts about nuclear energy was quite interesting. As the US apparently have the most amount of nuclear reactors, but France (being at 2nd place) are the most reliant on nuclear energy in % count. I thought Russia relied a lot on nuclear energy, but it turns out they are on like 4th place (although that's pretty high, but it isn't number 1). Here's some facts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_by_country

What do you guys think about nuclear energy? Should we try to completely close the reactors down and look for alternative ways of making energy, or should we keep some and then have a mix with other energy sources?

As of now, definitely the latter. Nuclear Energy is somewhat of a 'regress solution' to the energy/environmental crisis, so while nuclear energy is useful and cleaner compared to natural gas and coal, it should still be implemented with alternative sources (wind/hydro/solar/geothermal), so once gas & coal usage is shut down completely, we can shift the remaining nuclear reactors to those alternative energy sources.

www.drawdown.org/ is a great website that has collected information through peer-review studies on how to improve the energy across the world, including their environmental and economical impacts.