News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: Altissimo on May 19, 2016, 03:21:27 PMAbortion is an issue that is often tied to religion, though, simply because attitudes toward abortion are often (not always) informed by religious attitudes. It's difficult to discuss abortion in a context without at all considering religious attitudes simply because they're tied together.
Indeed. That is usually the case with every topic discussed. No matter who you are, you usually start out with your own set of presuppositions even before said discussion begins.

Quote from: Dude on May 19, 2016, 03:21:53 PMi mean it's not like we don't know what your opinion is, mlf
You make an excellent point, but it isn't fair to call someone out on their beliefs when they haven't shared them. That's like hating on someone because they have an opinion on a certain subject.

Ruto

Most people have two kidneys so they'll still be alive. A uterus and a kidney are both organs so I think that's fair.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

wait when a woman gets pregnant she loses her uterus?
unmotivated

Altissimo

I think Ruto's saying that if the woman doesn't have a right to do what she wants with her uterus then the man shouldn't have a right to do what he wants with one of his kidneys

Ruto

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 19, 2016, 03:37:34 PMwait when a woman gets pregnant she loses her uterus?

That's possible if there are any complications with the pregnancy. Until she's sure, let's hold that kidney hostage.

I think you can sell a kidney for $20,000, but you can actually be a surrogate and get $50,000 for it. This is a really good deal for you.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

I'm still missing your point
living with one kidney also sucks

having sex is the choice though and every choice has its consequences, good or bad.  You're obligated to live with those consequences, just like with any other choice you make

bill has good intentions but I think it falls short of actually doing good rather than harm
unmotivated

Dude

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 03:33:18 PMYou make an excellent point, but it isn't fair to call someone out on their beliefs when they haven't shared them. That's like hating on someone because they have an opinion on a certain subject.
http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6464.msg257974#msg257974

i mean this is an obvious distaste for it so...

Sebastian

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 19, 2016, 03:48:58 PMI'm still missing your point
Same. I'm not sure what kind of point she is trying to make other than that women are oppressed and men are evil.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 19, 2016, 03:48:58 PMhaving sex is the choice though and every choice has its consequences, good or bad.  You're obligated to live with those consequences, just like with any other choice you make
This is a good point.

Quote from: Dude on May 19, 2016, 03:50:30 PMhttp://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6464.msg257974#msg257974
i mean this is an obvious distaste for it so...
Perhaps, but
Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 03:33:18 PMit isn't fair to call someone out on their beliefs when they haven't shared them. That's like hating on someone because they have an opinion on a certain subject.

FireArrow

I don't get why you think opinions should be protected. Like if someone has a bigoted or hateful opinion it's not unreasonable to hate them for it and if someone has a dumb opinion it's not unreasonable to think they're dumb for it.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Quote from: FireArrow on May 19, 2016, 04:10:11 PMI don't get why you think opinions should be protected. Like if someone has a bigoted or hateful opinion it's not unreasonable to hate them for it and if someone has a dumb opinion it's not unreasonable to think they're dumb for it.
There is no such thing as a bigoted opinion. There are only bigoted people who can't tolerate others' opinion. Being against abortion is not a bigoted or hateful opinion. If anything, it's the opposite of that, but that is beside the point. My point is, calling other peoples' opinions "bigoted" is a very hypocritical statement.
Shall we review the definition:

'Bigot'
"A person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions."
Again, there is no such thing as a bigoted opinion. It's very simple to understand. You are either for something or against something. Neither view is bigoted. Take abortion for example. Johnny is for abortion and Susie is against abortion. Which one is bigoted? Neither. Because it is an opinion.

'Opinion'
"A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

I think the lesson we can learn here is to respect each others' opinions.

mikey

or that oklahomans are bad at making wordy laws
unmotivated

Dude

Example of a bigoted opinion: "Black people are horrible because they are different from me."

Also that definition isn't even right lol

Full Definition of bigot
:  a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially :  one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Altissimo

Quote from: Dude on May 19, 2016, 04:33:40 PMExample of a bigoted opinion: "Black people are horrible because they are different from me."

this

besides, you're word policing. the idea isn't that you should deconstruct the sentence, it's that firearrow is more or less saying "if people HAVE OPINIONS that MAKE THEM A BIGOT it is not unreasonable to hate them for it"

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So, since there's no such thing as a bigoted opinion, I take it you don't think the KKK or Neo Nazis are bigots?
Opinions can just as well be intolerant to other opinions. Take a look at any Abrahamic religion taken to its extreme(s).
@Abortion: Just thought I'd mention that until viability (~20 weeks or so), it's not a baby, it's literally just a clump of cells. There is no nervous system or sentient thought. IE: It's not a human yet, it's a fertilized egg.
what is shitpost

mikey

yes I be the word police I herd my services are required what may I do for you: today in porticulate?
unmotivated