News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

bruh sfk shows up and you all still care about politics

HI SFK I'VE MISSED YOU A LOT hope you'll show up more :]

SuperFireKirby

THE CANADIAN BEAT THE CLOWN BUT HE'S STILL A CANADIAN AND CAN'T BE PRESIDENT WHY DOES EVERYONE SEEM TO FORGET THAT?

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

Continued from PYTOTMT
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 24, 2016, 05:49:40 PMI think it's different in people's minds- cars are such an ingrained part of society today that taking them away would be highly improbable. Or not. There are some people who are opposed to the development of self-driving cars, which, if they worked right, could greatly reduce or eliminate crashes.
the joke was that you can't really just take away cars cancer and suicide, I wasn't lobbying to actually take away cars
unmotivated

Olimar12345

So the Republican debate is happening in the Moores opera house tomorrow, and it is fucking up all of my classes. 
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 24, 2016, 06:07:54 PMSo the Republican debate is happening in the Moores opera house tomorrow, and it is fucking up all of my classes.
lol.....I know exactly how you feel. I was in Greenville, South Carolina the same day as the debate. Wow, It took me 30 minutes to drive two miles to my hotel xD

mikey

Quote from: Waddle Bro on February 24, 2016, 06:21:55 PMNo need homie I got you cue the wiki links and since that is a literal textbook example it should be over before it can even begin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

I think though that the statement "cars are more dangerous than guns" can be drawn from the comparison of yearly deaths.  If the goal of taking away guns is to reduce gun related violence, that will absolutely work.  But reducing gun related violence won't actually do anything, will it.
FWIW I don't personally like guns, I think they're loud and crap, but I was talking to a guy who owned an AK-47 and I asked him why he would even need an AK.  He responded "why would you need a fancy car?  Besides, it's fun to shoot an AK-47."  The point being that whatever guns are, other stuff is worse about it.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 24, 2016, 06:07:54 PMSo the Republican debate is happening in the Moores opera house tomorrow, and it is fucking up all of my classes. 

throw a carrot at Donald trump for me
unmotivated

Sebastian

Here's my logic for being against Gun Control in one sentence:
The bad guys will always have guns. That is a 100% certainty. Gun control just takes away guns from the law abiding citizens and makes it harder for the good guys to get guns.

mikey

That's what my grandpa told me too but the "law abiding citizen trying to protect him/herself" idea is overdone and liberals simply ignore it
unmotivated

Ruto

I can't help but think that you guys waited for Waddle to go to bed before saying anything.

Quote from: Sebastian on February 24, 2016, 06:59:17 PMThe bad guys will always have guns. That is a 100% certainty. Gun control just takes away guns from the law abiding citizens and makes it harder for the good guys to get guns.

Why does anyone need guns? Especially untrained hicks.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Altissimo

fun fact : abused women are 5 times more likely to be killed if their partner owns a gun
http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-statistics/

=)

Dude

I'd personally rather have like throwing knives or something than a gun.

More badass.

Altissimo

Quote from: Dude on February 24, 2016, 07:45:49 PMI'd personally rather have like throwing knives or something than a gun.

More badass.

Less cowardly.

Dude

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Altissimo on February 24, 2016, 07:38:41 PMfun fact : abused women are 5 times more likely to be killed if their partner owns a gun
http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-statistics/

=)
Does that suggest a direct correlation, though (i.e. is owning a gun the direct and only cause of this- like, "Would these people just not kill their partners if they didn't have a gun?" which seems improbable*- or is it something else, like the fact that people who are more likely to want to own a gun for no reason are more violent, or just the fact that so many people own guns that people will inevitably be able to find connections among unrelated things?).

*For example, the article says, "A recent survey of female domestic violence shelter residents in California found that more than one third (36.7%) reported having been threatened or harmed with a firearm," but if the abusers didn't have firearms, wouldn't they just threaten their partners with something else? Does the removal of firearms reduce any injury or instance of domestic violence? Should we be focusing on that (firearms) as a problem instead of getting to the root of the cause (while I agree that restricting access to certain weapons or places to people known to be violent is a good step, it won't prevent these people from being violent in the first place- only attempt to mitigate damage)?

Additionally, the article says that "applications for protective orders were more likely to mention firearms when the parties had not lived together and were not married." Does the removal of firearms reduce the need for protective orders, or does it only make it more likely that someone will apply for one in cases of violence (i.e. motivate them more to apply for a protective order that they probably already need in the first place)?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not trying to be combative. I'd just like to have more direct and clear information on this subject.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

Quote from: Dude on February 24, 2016, 07:45:49 PMI'd personally rather have like throwing knives or something than a gun.

More badass.
And I'd rather use a bow to kill someone.  Your point?
unmotivated